Sign in to follow this  
Aghoover

Scale

I'm looking at getting a fancy new scale this year. Mine seems very inaccurate as my weight can change by a few pounds every few minutes. I'm looking at both the Withings and Fitbit products. Any experience with either product?

I would like to hear what people say. I have been considering the whitings for awhile now

I have the Fitbit scale.  I think the scale is reasonably accurate and consistent.  WiFi synching with the online account is pretty slick, and you can tie in other apps/websites like MyFitnessPal, RunKeeper, etc.  This makes tracking pretty easy.  The BF% reading isn't consistent, unfortunately.  I think that is true with any scale that reads BF, so I can't fault this one specifically.  It features multiple user setup, so that it can detect who is on the scale based on weight.  If multiple users weigh about the same, you can cycle through them by tapping the scale with your toe so that the reading is saved to the correct profile.  If you mess up, you can reassign the reading to the correct user on the website.  There is also a guest setting, which is fun to see pop up when a house guest steps on the scale while in the bathroom.  Little do they know the data is saved for posterity, unless you choose to delete it.

FitBit customer service is excellent.  I bought the scale about 20 months ago from Best Buy.  The original scale started exhibiting really erratic BF readings.  For example, I could step off the scale and back on, and BF% could be 3-5% different, while weight remained the same.  I contacted FitBit support via email asking them about it and they sent me a new scale without question.  I didn't even have to return the old one and it is now in a pile for a future garage sale. 

I can't comment on the Withings scale.  If I remember correctly, I chose FitBit because it was a little less expensive, but I think features are similar.

I have a magnetic one and weighed myself this morning. Half way through it suddenly died because one of the batteries had gone loose and I put it back in. Suddenly, I was 2kg heavier. Then I put the scale two feet to the left, weighed myself again, and weighed a pound less. Moral of the story, don't buy a magnetic one.

Jasper, so do you recommend an old school column, physician's scale vs the more high tech, scales, such as the fitbit and withings?

I have a magnetic one and weighed myself this morning. Half way through it suddenly died because one of the batteries had gone loose and I put it back in. Suddenly, I was 2kg heavier. Then I put the scale two feet to the left, weighed myself again, and weighed a pound less. Moral of the story, don't buy a magnetic one.

I don't know what a 'magnetic' scale is, but if you mean a bog standard battery-operated electronic one, then it needs adjusting every time you move it around (as you floor is likely to be uneven, as you have found). This is usually achieved by pressing on the scale (but stepping on it with one foot, briefly), after which you can measure your weight again. You would still get a few 100 grams dispersion in the results with mainstream stuff--just take the higher of or the average and be done with it.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what a 'magnetic' scale is, but if you mean a bog standard battery-operated electronic one, then it needs adjusting every time you move it around (as you floor is likely to be uneven, as you have found). This is usually achieved by pressing on the scale (but stepping on it with one foot, briefly), after which you can measure your weight again. You would still get a few 100 grams dispersion in the results with mainstream stuff--just take the higher of or the average and be done with it.

Yup, this.  Always use your scale on the same location on a hard surface, if you can, and always zero the scale before you use it.

You guys need to take more chemistry lab courses.  You get very good at using scales and balances.  :P

• Upvote 1

so what scale did you go with?

I'm not in too much of a rush to get one.  I've just started looking and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.  If/When I get one, I'll review it here.

I picked up the fitbit scale the other day.  I found setting up my family on the scale a little finicky, but we are now all users.  My kids are under 18, so I had to fudge their birthdays as fitbit won't allow under 18 ages for some reason.  I'm not overly concerned about my kids weight, however they compete in karate and weight classes come into play.

The scale itself seems pretty slick.  My only concern is more with fitness pal than the scale.  Fitness pal won't connect.  I go through the connect process and everything seems to work, but the fitbit scale is never connect on the website.  The fitbit website shows it is sharing the info with fitness pal.  So somehow I'm messing that up.  Does anyone have similar problems? 

If you go under Apps in MyFitnessPal, you should see the Fitbit Aria scale listed under the Scales category.  If it doesn't show up as installed and connected, you need to add it.  If it is there and active, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Its not showing up as active or connected.  I hit connect, punch my password in an allow it to be shared.  Then when I go back to the apps page, its as though I did nothing.  I'll have to check my network, but the fitbit dashboard seems to be working great.

Weird.  I disconnected and then reconnected to see if it worked.  It opened another tab on my browser and asked me to confirm that I wanted the accounts linked.  Then it took me to a page stating that they are linked and how I should log activities, etc.  Did you get any of that when trying to connect?

I think the problem had to do with multiple users and multiple MFP accounts.  We reset everything last night and I think it is working now.