Sign in to follow this  
Aghoover

250Lb Squat Stall

Now onto my second problem.  Its not so much a problem.  I just think I may have unrealistic expectations.  I've stalled twice at the same weight squating, so I'm on to my second deload.  I just can't get a full 5x5 at 250lbs.  Getting to 250 the second time around was definitely easier, but I wasn't able to get beyond 250lbs.  My goal was to reach 315lbs before changing to 3x5.  Is this somewhat unrealistic.  Also, is there anything wrong with delaying going to 3x5 other than possibly delaying progress.

Again, I've been doing stronglifts since Nov 2013 and this is the first time back at the gym in 10 years or so.  I'm 34, male, 6' and ~200lbs. 

Here I am squating 245lbs I believe.  It was my last set of 5x5. Not perfect form, but I wasn't too unhappy with it.

personally I did not like 5x5 I went to 3x5 very early and milked it for all it was worth

If you're stalling at 5x5 don't spend any more time on it, deload by maby 20-50lbs and drop to 3x5.

My only complaint about your form is that from this angle it looks like you're skimming depth a bit

Next time I do a vid, I'll have a better angle to assess depth.  I'm not going ATG, but I am aiming for below parallel.  Next workout, I'll got to 225lbs and if I stall again, I believe I should switch to 3x5.

Thanks for the replies.

250#s is about where I (similar height, wt, age etc btw) started to stall-out on 5x5... don't be afraid to move to 3x5; 5x5 w/ the same wt across all sets is not a realistic training regime once you graduate rank-beginner status IMHO.  

Nothing wrong with just going straight to 3x5.

Alternatively you could shoot for 3x5 as a minimum and treat the final 2 sets as just bonus territory.

I would just echo what the others have said. Drop the weight just a little (to give yourself a little bit of extra recovery) and then work 3x5 on up.

For the record, Im about 95% sure I stalled 5x5 with around 250lbs and my BW was about what yours is so thats a pretty normal weight to have to alter the programming.

Thanks for all the advice.  I'm possibly on my last deload for 5x5 and if I still can't get past 250, I'll switch to 3x5.  Its nice to know that I seem reasonably normal with regard to my weight lifting progression.

Raincoat, today at 225lbs, 5x5, I was concentrating on depth, in particular where my elbows are in relation to my thighs.  With low bar, I think if the elbows are at or near your thighs, your depth is ok.