Sign in to follow this  
Aghoover

Deadlift Injury

Hello.  I'm glad I found this site.  It has already been quite useful.  It seems there are few internet heros who squat 500lbs after 2 months.  So thats good.

So i started SL Nov 2013 and it has gone well.  However, with deadlift, I've hurt my lower back twice now.  Not badly, but it is unpleasant.  And I am concerned about progressing with this lift.

The first incendent was the last rep of 225lbs.  And it was the first problem with this ilft.  There was an attractive gal next to me and I was 100% focused on the lift.  It was a sharp pain to my lower back and had me out of comission for a couple of days.  This was a Friday I believe and I was doing DL again till the next Wednesday.  I was back to normal by then.  My DL continued well up to 295lbs, when I did a deadload of 10%.  Not because I failed 3 times, but because I did not feel comfortable with my form and wanted to deload for more form practice.  From then on, I would do warm up sets starting at 135lbs up to my working weight, then warm down sets consisting of pause deadlifts down to 135lbs again to work on my posterior chain.  I got this from Candito Training HQ from youtube.  And this is when I had my second and more concerning injury.  I got up to 285lbs DL no problem, in fact I felt very strong.  For my last warm down set of 135lbs pause deadlifts, I had the same pain as before.  And again, I was not 100% focused, this time because of the relatively low weight.

So my question is this.  How often do you guys experience back pain doing DL and should I more seriously consider getting a lifting belt.  I has hoping to not use one till at least 315lbs for DL and squats.

Thanks in advance for the advice, I'm sure I'll have more questions to come.

I'm a 34 year old male, 

6'

~200lbs

~10 years away from the gym before starting but I was an active kid and young adult growing up.

My current 5x5 working weights are

245 squat and I fear I'll have to deload for a second time at 250

285 deadlift

190 Bench

195 row

Up to 120 OHP, but currently 105 after a second deload

A belt isn't going to fix problems where a lack of concentration causes your form to be lax.  While I can wax macho brovado saying that I've deadlifted over 500 lbs without a belt (it's true, last competition), I have had the odd low back dings getting there.  To be honest the only real reason I haven't used a belt on deadlift was because I can't get into a good deadlift position with it on.  I happen to be on the heavy side, so I lose all my breath or I simply can't reach the bar with it on.  It's certainly not because I think it's inherently better.

First and foremost, if you aren't completely focused on the lift at hand you are asking for injury.  The times I've hurt my back were because something caused me to loose tightness during the lift.  Either I wasn't fully focused on the lift, or my back was just too fatigued to do the volume I had on my plate.  Either way I had to deload and work around it for a bit.

It could be that your set up needs some fine tuning.  I recommend getting a form check video up so we have something to recommend.

• Upvote 1

did you feel a pop?

Not really a pop, but a sharp pain.  The next day, getting out of bed was tough, but within 2 days I'm almost back to normal.  I'll see how it goes tomorrow, with both squats and DL.

I have a couple of videos, both squat and DL, I'll get those posted shortly.  I see there is a separate section to post those.  With regards to the belt, I'm not in a hurry to get one, I just don't want to avoid using a belt for purely stubborn reasons.  I want to be able to lift for years to come and want to do things properly.

I'm not trying to tell you not to get a belt (in fact I recommend it).  I just want you to be aware that you can still hurt yourself even when you have one on.

Biggest things I'm concerned about are whether you are jerking the bar off the ground, or are simply at a bad position to start with.

Here are 2 videos if me deadlifting. Of course no injury following these pulls.

I'm posting of an iPad, so I don't have all the link options available.

Thanks for the advice.

So for deadlifts this morning, I started with 135x5 for 2, then 205x5 for 1, then 275x2, but I just didn't feel it for for my working weight of 290lbs, so I pulled the weight off, did another 5 @ 205lbs and called it a day.  My back is feeling ok, but I'm being very careful not to mess things up.

First off, welcome aboard.

Second, bummer on the injuries. Like Berin mentions a belt won't solve it when form goes out the window due to concentration but it can help none the less.

As for your form, your back is nice and flat but I think you should start with your hips a little lower and rest the bar on the ground between reps. Just long enough to let the weight rest on the ground and get set again, no releasing or re gripping unless your grip is slipping.

I agree with regards to the hips.  I think my back should be more upright for the first half of the lift.  I am working on that, but I think I may require another deload.

I do touch the ground between reps, but I guess I should take a little more time between reps.

I personally prefer dead stop deadlifts to touch n go as it allows me to set my back between reps and builds on the from-floor strength

So if I'm still not doing well with my next DL, I think I'll deload again, and pay extra attention to form and breathing.  The initial lift point is by far the week link in my DL.

Welcome to IS..

As Maverick said, a belt won't fix bad form.  You might get injured worse with the belt on.  I didn't get a belt until a few years ago and I was pulling well in the 500's without it.  Work on your breathing, bracing your core, low back, etc. without it.  If you do get a belt, use it on the top sets and do the lower sets without it.

As raincoat said, deadstop are harder but will payoff in the long run.  You build more power off the floor.

Since you don't show your setup, it's hard to tell how far you are from the bar.  You might want to start with your shins another inch from the bar prior to dropping them to the bar.  As a general rule, you should be starting with the bar over the middle of the foot (including the heel).

On the hip being high, I am the same height and about the same weight as you and I deadlift with my hips high.  It works for me...you just need to play with your stance and find out what gives you the most power.  

Lastly...You need to be strict with your form deadlifting or you will seriously hurt your back.  If you want to impress the girl, focus on the lift and do it with power. :)

Next time I take a video, I'll make sure my setup is in.  I only wear socks doing DL and squats.  I aim for middle of the foot and I make sure my arms are vertical over the bar.  Then I lift and hope nothing hurts.

You're probably not keeping tight enough. That's the most important part of your set up.

Touch n go reps are ok if you can keep tight throughout a set, but I think your case you need to take things a little slower, think about which muscles you need to engage in order to move the weight, in other words concentrate.

Stepping up to a bar and looking the part, then pulling and hoping for the best will result injuries.

I agree with regards to keeping it tight.