Sign in to follow this  
David

Excess Creatine

I realized today i've been taking 3 times the amount of creatine I should have been.  1 tablespoon a day instead of 1 teaspoon.  For several months.  Should I be concerned?  Serious replies please, I already know I'm an idiot. 

No need to be concerned.   A rounded teaspoon is about 5 grams.  I know plenty of folks that take 10-15 grams per day.  I only take 5 myself.  Just start taking 5 whenever is convenient.

The only thing you've done is wasted a little money, and the stuff is pretty cheap as is : )

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys. Didn't think there was an issue and I haven't felt anything out of the ordinary but wanted to check. Much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

You should be concerned if wasting up to $20 concerns you. Otherwise, no.

If you follow Carb Back-loading, the Author actually suggest a VERY high Creatine dosing.

http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/creatine-how-much-should-you-be-taking

Short of it is this:

• POUNDS: Bodyweight * 0.15 = grams of creatine monohydrate to ingest

• KILOGRAMS: Body mass * 0.3 = grams of creatine monohydrate to ingest

Interesting postscript to this - I figured out where the mistake came from. I use NOW Foods creatine. I started out using the micronized version, then bought a jug of the regular powder. Turns out the micronized dose is 1 tablespoon per serving. The regular powder is 1 teaspoon. Thats where the error came from. I just assumed they would be the same, but they're not. Go figure. Anyway, FWIW.

Quick answer, as everyone has already said. 'Generally' no...

Basically, any excess creatine not absorbed by muscle cells is just secreted as urine by the kidneys. The only time when an excess creatine could be a problem, is if someone already has kidney problems (this is because it's yet more stress on the kidneys). But really it shouldn't need to worry too much....

You should be extremely worried. You wasted perfectly good creatine!

In all seriousness, no, no need to worry.

Sadly David is no longer with us so he probably won't see these recent replies. All that excess creatine made him so strong that one day he accidentally standing jumped onto the moon where he now works as a crater engineer, digging craters with his bare hands, which became massively oversized as another side effect of the creatine.

Also, I just started responding to forum questions from over two years ago. Should I be worried? :)

yes  :lol: