Sign in to follow this  
Mike

I S P W L - Open Talk

I think I can actually swing that, what stopped me from participating was my lack of equipment, but I think I can manage 3/4 events. I really like the idea of doing front or back squats, and overhead anyhow's. 

Does this sound like it could be fun?

Sound good to me, Mav. I missed last Nov comp due to forgetting about it at the start so I didn't have video, although I've done 2 prior.

What I specifically like:

Month for lifts (prior comps have landed on or very close to deload weeks, over vacation weekends or during work commitments or other inconvenient times).

Categories: I vote for these categories: 1. squat, 2. bench, 3. dead, 4., overhead-anyhow, 5. powerlifting total, 6., push-pull (dead bench total), 7. overhead-anyhow dead total. With that many...virtual medals for everyone ;)

Sound good to me, Mav. I missed last Nov comp due to forgetting about it at the start so I didn't have video, although I've done 2 prior.What I specifically like:Month for lifts (prior comps have landed on or very close to deload weeks, over vacation weekends or during work commitments or other inconvenient times).Categories: I vote for these categories: 1. squat, 2. bench, 3. dead, 4., overhead-anyhow, 5. powerlifting total, 6., push-pull (dead bench total), 7. overhead-anyhow dead total. With that many...virtual medals for everyone ;)

+1 on everything

I'm in for a chin-up-only competition.

Get outta here

• Upvote 1

I will throw in my bench to add to the contest. I can also pull an ok deadlift.

So you can count me as a double entry for the best bench and best push-pull competition!

Squat would be too embarrassing lol.

The ISPWL is an unsanctioned meet unlike any other where you have a whole week to get your lifts in.  There is no fed.  Just your friends on the forum.

Do'h! I hate it when my senility shows  :lol:

If I can figure out a way to video my lifts I'll join, other wise I won;t be able to

Stop acting like a child.

jfep.gif

I'm in.  I like the idea of having it go on a month and having more divisions to accomodate everyone's training focus and meets..

Squat, deadlift and bench or overhead. Have to decide on Bench as I've only recently begun training it.

The end of my cut is on the horizon and it's time to start lifting again so I'll be up for this I think.

Depending on timing, I'd like to participate.  Hopefully after the end of August when I start eating a bit more again.

I believe it will be November.  The original schedule was November/May, so if no-one has any objections we'll keep it on that schedule.

Sounds like we'll have some good participation!  I'm looking forward to it myself.

Carrying on the open talk.  I think everyone that participated had a good time.  We've got a lot of strong people here, and when we are looking at wilks the range from first to last place in any one given lift is not that far off (with the exception of my lame gimped up overhead anyhow attempt).

Things I think we did right:

• Opened up the rules to allow a wider variety of lifts (front squats, overhead anyhow, etc.)
  • Increased the time so that multiple people were able to do two competitions with one event

Things I've gotten feedback on, or need feedback on:

• Desire for straps/wraps.  Perhaps a "Bondage Classic" and a "Plain and Simple Open"
  • Any way to get more participation from our weightlifters?
  • Should we keep May and November, or should we simplify to just one event a year?

Bottom line is that I want to keep things fun.  We've got folks from beginners to advanced who have different backgrounds.  There's different rules from all the different power lifting federations, as well as rules for strongman and weightlifting.  If we allow wraps for squats we also should allow straps for deadlift (strongman competitions allow that).  However, I also don't want to alienate the beginners who either don't have the equipment or really don't have enough training to use them correctly.

I'm looking for feedback to help make the next competition just as much fun.  If not funner.

I think we need to keep a 'raw' division in for us non equiped lifter (not that I even)

I was going to enter this last time but had no way to record lifts (well, no way that I actually know how to use, I have been informed my new phone will do this)

I sort of like may / november, though I duno how others will feel about that

I could suggest a KB division, but that'd just be silly

I don't know anything about supportive equipment, so I don't know if this is even possible, but maybe you could reduce the weight lifted by a certain percentage for each type of gear used?

This is all for fun and I don't think anyone in this community is going to lose their mind if they get beat out by someone lifting in wraps or other equipment. I don't think there are enough people participating to make it worth having raw and equipped divisions.

There is the issue of actually being able to use the equipment (I, for one, wouldn't know,the first thing of how to apply wraps).

I see the point of those who do equipped comps wanting to show their equipped maxes, but they are probably the guys who are comparatively strong (as in: stronger than the others) anyway. In the spirit of trying to get participation as high as possible, it might be a better idea to stay raw for the IS comp.

It's very likely a rather small number of people who would actually submit equipped lifts, and maybe separate challenges would be a better suited format for that.

EDIT: I think it might be a good idea to add a newby award for those who haven't competed in a IS comp before to add an incentive.

All good ideas.

If I did a "bondage competition" (wraps and straps), it would be separate from the normal raw competition.  I see value in both...

What I'm not sure of is the audience size for the wraps/straps.  In that competition, I wouldn't enable things you can't do in any federation or sport.  Examples would be elbow wraps and deadlift hooks.  However, I don't think I'd put length restrictions on the wraps or types of straps you use.  It's a matter of practicality.  The question is whether it's all gear or just "raw-ish" gear.

It's nearing time for the November IronStrong Strength Extravaganza!  We have squat (front or back squats are fine), bench, deadlift, and overhead anyhow events, a whole month to get your lift videos in, and a whole lot of fun by all.  This year, there will actually be prizes in the form of IronStrong swag to first and second place winners.

We will always have the "raw" division where you can use neoprene knee sleeves, belts, and wrist wraps.  No knee sleeves that you tie or fasten in any way.

The question is whether there is enough interest to run a "no rules" division where any equipment (except for deadlift hooks) is allowed.  "No rules" is a bit of a misnomer, in the sense that you will still be required to hit depth on squats and pause the bar on your chest for bench.

If there's enough interest we'll run both (i.e. we need at least 4 competitors).  You can enter both divisions, but please have separate video submissions to clearly identify which division it is for.

So, if I were to use a forklift to pick up my deadlift, it'd count in the no rules division?

:P

Creative thinking, I like it.  You're a scientist, you should get some bionic implants installed.  :)

Sign in to follow this