Sign in to follow this  
Mike

I S P W L - Open Talk

The only problem is that this community is still quite small and quite a few don't compete or have any plans to compete. Competing in the forum comp really depends on where you are in your training cycle, so again that reduces the amount of entrants.

Using meets only may leave out quite a few forum members.

There is opportunity for almost everyone to compete/achieve. Either you are well into your training, in which case you've likely thought about, or have competed in a local meet already. Or you are new to lifting, in which case you can try out your 1RM in the IS meet. It covers everyone except those that train strictly towards sanctioned geared meets.

If you guys decide to set standards, why choose a system that is USA-centric? For example the weight classes in the www.rawpowerlifting.com tables are the old pre-2011 IPL ones. Also, is it common in countries for non-paused bench presses to be used in competitions? That can add e.g. another 5kg or more to a lift at my level.

I like the standards set by rawpowerlifting because they break it down by each lift, and aren't set for geared lifters. If the IPL has similar standards that we can go with, I would do that.

We're not pretending to be anything close to an officially sanctioned event. The IS meets are for fun, the rules are there only because people ask questions about what is allowed, and we came up with these answers. I think they are fair.

I'm not doubting the opportunity, just saying you'll have less entrants.

I'm not doubting the opportunity, just saying you'll have less entrants.

I'm not here to hold hands. If people want to participate. If they want to test themselves. The opportunity is here. If not, I don't care. I have no plans of internet domination here ;)

Easy now, was just saying.

I'm not here to hold hands. If people want to participate. If they want to test themselves. The opportunity is here. If not, I don't care. I have no plans of internet domination here ;)

Wow, quite the opposite of a certain other strong lifter. Ahem.

I think we should only have IS meets for achievements. Would you show up at another Fed with your IS numbers and axe them to recognize it.

Easy now, was just saying.

I know, please don't take me too seriously. That's just how I roll ;)

Wow, quite the opposite of a certain other strong lifter. Ahem.

I think we should only have IS meets for achievements. Would you show up at another Fed with your IS numbers and axe them to recognize it.

Why whoever could you mean?

I competed unrested in the middle of a smolov cycle and was happy with the results. People should realize that the IS competitions can be done casually just to set working milestones.

I went at it the the attitude of finding out what I was capable on an average day, which is actually a lot more important to me than running peaking cycles and being able to lift a slightly heavier weight for a limited period of time.

Anyway, the turnout was slightly disappointing, but I was glad the opportunity was there... I don't know what you think Mike, but maybe allowing people to create their own threads in the section would generate more excitement (?) It seemed to in the first competition at least

Now, this is just an idea but I wonder if you would consider adding OHP to the competition... almost everyone on the site trains the lift just as much or more than a main lift. I know it isn't in any power lifting competitions but maybe we could start a revival haha... I don't think it would be that hard to verify if we just said no leg drive, and might create some extra excitement... then again I can understand if people wouldn't want to because it isn't a part of normal competitions, maybe just a pet idea of mine

Anyway, the turnout was slightly disappointing, but I was glad the opportunity was there... I don't know what you think Mike, but maybe allowing people to create their own threads in the section would generate more excitement (?) It seemed to in the first competition at least

No threads. I'm 100% sold on how it was put together this time. Very easy to view and judge. Most people also post their lifts in their training logs, and get more feedback there.

Now, this is just an idea but I wonder if you would consider adding OHP to the competition... almost everyone on the site trains the lift just as much or more than a main lift. I know it isn't in any power lifting competitions but maybe we could start a revival haha... I don't think it would be that hard to verify if we just said no leg drive, and might create some extra excitement... then again I can understand if people wouldn't want to because it isn't a part of normal competitions, maybe just a pet idea of mine

I'm certainly not against the idea. Power cleans as well. But I'm not including them this year.

I see that the next event is Novemeber 12-18 which lines up pretty well with my states Championship.

Can I just use those lifts? They will be recorded and all that.

As long as those lifts are recorded within the competition week, yes.

Do we have a thread to post our results? Can the mods make one?

Do we have a thread to post our results? Can the mods make one?

Done - I note we're 1 day past the expected start date, so

Have put a note into the new topic...

Cheers

Hey all, considering we accidentally missed the May 2014 ISPWL.  Unfortunately it really slipped under the radar.  What I'd like to do is gauge interest for this.  Many of us already compete in sanctioned events, so we have our competitive juices taken care of.  However, not everyone does.

Please share the following:

• If we have another ISPWL would you compete?
  • If so, what can we do to make the competition more exciting?
  • Should we change the schedule?

Many sanctioned events, at least in the USA, tend to be the last weekend in the month.  Would it be best to change the competition week to then so you can use video from the sanctioned events in the ISPWL.

I would take part, I don't compete anywhere else so any time is good for me.

Getting more people to take part would be great, maybe free gold membership for all competitors would help ;)

Seriously though is it possible to pm a reminder to all members, as I'm sure a lot of people just forget or are unaware of the comp.

the video thing is my main obstacle, I don't have a video camera to take recordings at home

Is the ISPWL the only fed that works for this? I might need to see what they have going on in Austin / Houston

If they always post video that'd be an easy way for me to get vid of my lifts, pathetic though they may be

The ISPWL is an unsanctioned meet unlike any other where you have a whole week to get your lifts in.  There is no fed.  Just your friends on the forum.

I get it if video is tough, particularly if you are on a shoestring budget.  Any video of your lifts during that week are fair game.

What's very concerning to me is that we have only 2 folks interested in the ISPWL, and one of them doesn't have ready access to video.  It's not meant as a dig, just that we do need to focus on what we can.  Since we missed the last competition on accident and only one person complained (who isn't putting in there vote for being interested) I'm wondering if we should make it an annual thing or scrap it altogether.  I'm game to keep it going if we have as few as 5 people who express interest (more would be better).

Of course, if you have any thoughts on how to make the contest more exciting then I'm also all ears.

I'd do it just for the fun of it. Open period 2 weeks instead of 1? Bigger window = more people who could enter?

Week is plenty of time to get three vids of one's lifts imo. Just need to have a thread with flashing lights and endless popups letting people know there even IS a mockup meet going. :P

Anyway I'm in for the comp.

We only had two people last meet...  :(

I will do it depending if it occurs enough time after my meet in early August.

I know I missed the meet before the one I entered because it didn't line up with my training.  Like Taylor said, maybe a two week window would get more entrants.  Or just a push/pull. People might skip it if they are not squatting due to back injury, etc.

I totally get it as far as getting the PWL to line up for your personal training.  For folks who compete, this is a big problem because it seems that both May and November seem to be pretty close to many competitions.  Some feds are at the beginning and some at the end of the month.

A month long competition would make it open to just about everyone.

Steve, a 2 man competition or worse, a 1 man competition is pretty lame.  I'd like to see more involvement.  Push/pull might be a good option too.

I'd be in if just for the fun of it, although I'm not really competitive unless there is a division for 220lbs kittens :P

A push/pull option would be a good idea, I think (for me it's not the back atm, but the knees, but the effect is the same: can't go heavy on squats)

I totally get it as far as getting the PWL to line up for your personal training.  For folks who compete, this is a big problem because it seems that both May and November seem to be pretty close to many competitions.  Some feds are at the beginning and some at the end of the month.

A month long competition would make it open to just about everyone.

Steve, a 2 man competition or worse, a 1 man competition is pretty lame.  I'd like to see more involvement.  Push/pull might be a good option too.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed with only one other entrant last time.  I mean, I was glad I was at least going to get second.   :)

I'd be in if just for the fun of it, although I'm not really competitive unless there is a division for 220lbs kittens :P

A push/pull option would be a good idea, I think (for me it's not the back atm, but the knees, but the effect is the same: can't go heavy on squats)

Definiitely do it.

I think we should try a 4 week push/pull.  That would help line up with just about everyone's training.  

I'd also like to get more strength disciplines represented in our competitions.  I don't really want to go down the road of having too many divisions, but I'd really like to see if we can get a lot of participation.  With a full month to get your video together, it's safe to compare heaviest bench even if someone only entered bench only.

What do you think about this:

• Squat--back or front, but at or below parallel
  • Bench--butt and head in contact with the bench, toes on the floor (i.e. heels don't need to be flat if you don't want)
  • Deadlift--conventional or sumo
  • Overhead anyhow--bar comes off the floor and ends up overhead. strict, push, jerk, snatch, juggling, telekinesis (no digital editing allowed)
  • Total--add the total weight used in 3 of the lifts (or the ones the lifter participated in)

As far as equipment goes:

• Neoprene sleeves allowed for both knees and elbows.  Non-fastening.
  • no straps
  • 4" Belt allowed
  • Shirt tucked into shorts (or non-supportive singlet if participant is confident enough)

As far as judging goes:

• All lifts will be compared by Wilks
  • The total will be from pounds, and also compared by wilks scores

I think with this we can get some Oly and strongman participation.  The overhead anyhow would allow for clean and jerk, continental clean and push press, power clean and press.  We would use the 3 heaviest weights lifted for the total, that way if Weightlifters/Strongmen want to skip bench they can still be competitive.  By the same token, power lifters who might not be able to get as heavy a bar off the ground as the WL/SM will also be able to stay competitive.

Each event will be scored separately from the total.  In theory you could have five different winners, with one taking the best squat, another taking the best bench, etc. and finally a different person taking the best total.

Does this sound like it could be fun?

Sign in to follow this