Sign in to follow this  
Mike

I S P W L - Open Talk

So when is the next competition coming? Are these the scores to break?

Is there going to be a hall of fame or something? :P (which would be cool)

The next comp will be in May. After which we will hold them every six months (May and November)

A hall of fame or gold/silver/bronze (or both) is something I'm looking into. Will require some programming effort in order to Stand out on someone's profile. But that is the plan we will build off of for now.

I'm converting this topic to an open forum to talk/ask questions about the ISPWL events. Past/present/future events are all open to talk about. As are general questions about the meet.

Since I had an open question to JohnR before the thread was closed, I'll repost it here.

How does the age adjusted score work? Other than "if username=JohnR score += 100"... Just curious when the age adjustments start kicking in and how they are calculated for real.

I don't know specifics, but i'm sure nothing kicks in unless you're over 40.

Since I had an open question to JohnR before the thread was closed, I'll repost it here.

How does the age adjusted score work? Other than "if username=JohnR score += 100"... Just curious when the age adjustments start kicking in and how they are calculated for real.

Berin, have some respect for your elders please ... :lol:

I used the revised McCulloch age-adjustment factors. Details of how it works are in this PDF on the WPF site: http://wpfpowerlifti...och_Formula.pdf

It's sometimes used for Masters competitions and kicks in at age 40. Unfortunately (for you) the adjustment factor for 40-year-olds is exactly 1.000 (i.e. no adjustment).

I agree with you that it looks too generous and I think this is particularly true for guys in their early 50s. In my experience many powerlifters who have lifted seriously for decades peak somewhere in their early 50s ... particularly for bench press; not in their 40s.

There are similar adjustment factors that can be applied for Sub-junior and Junior grades. When I can find the details of these I will modify my program to include these too. At the moment Evan would fall in the Junior grade.

Please note that the age-adjustment factors have not been included as an option in the BBCode formatted lists that I built for this forum. Most of you guys' ages are all within 10 years of one another anyway. It's only Evan and me that deserve compensation for our age :P

Thanks, John. I must say that I hope I'm as much of a beast at 63.

I used the revised McCulloch age-adjustment factors. ... It's sometimes used for Masters competitions and kicks in at age 40 .... There are similar adjustment factors that can be applied for Sub-junior and Junior grades. When I can find the details of these I will modify my program to include them too. At the moment Evan would fall in the Junior grade. ... note that the age-adjustment factors have not been included as an option in the BBCode formatted lists that I built for this forum. ... It's only Evan and me that deserve compensation for our age :P

OK I did some homework and found the 'Foster' adjustment for lifters aged 14 to 23.

Links to the formulas for Wilks (adjustment for bodyweight), Foster (adjustment for Sub-junior and Junior lifters) and McCulloch (adjustment for Masters lifters) are at:

http://www.usapl-sd....g%20Results.htm

The McCulloch scheme covers the M1 to M4 (age range 40 - 80 years), while an extension has since been added to provide adjustments for lifters aged 80 to 90! Obviously these latter values would be based on pretty small sample sizes and would be largely guesswork.

I've now incorporated both Foster and McCulloch formulas for calculating the figures in the 'Age-adj.' column in my ranking program: http://rippon.org.nz...ift_ranking.php

The Foster formula gives Evan (aged 19) a +4% adjustment in his Wilks score and the McCulloch formula gives me (aged 63) a +42.1% adjustment.

At least I can rest in the fact my age adjusted Wilks score can only go up. JohnR, how long have you been lifting?

Any suggestions for how to set up the achievements section. I am set on only awarding achievements for lifts made during the ISPWL meets. I'm still unsure of what constitutes an achievement, and how they should be measured?

You could set them up on Wilks Totals and Raw Totals. Same with if you wanted to separate the Big 3 into separate awards.

For Wilks Totals, you could have:

• 240 Showed Up
  • 280 Getting There
  • 320 Strong
  • 410 Beast

The Wilks totals based on the chart over here: http://ironstrong.org/index.php?/topic/1042-strength-standards-beginner-intermediate-advanced/

Of course, if you have a bad time with your body weight, you will hurt yourself on Wilks.

For raw totals you can base it off of the USAPL/IPF Lifter Classification standards: http://www.usapowerlifting.com/lifterscorner/ipfclass.shtml

The chart is in kg for the totals. Or you can use this chart for the lifts broken out: http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/classifications.htm

That way we can see when we graduate from Class IV up to Class III to Class I and Elite.

For raw totals you can base it off of the USAPL/IPF Lifter Classification standards: http://www.usapowerl.../ipfclass.shtml

The chart is in kg for the totals. Or you can use this chart for the lifts broken out: http://www.rawpowerl...sifications.htm

That way we can see when we graduate from Class IV up to Class III to Class I and Elite.

I really like this idea of using the raw totals and raw separate lifts under the USAPL/IPF standards. Keeps everything simple. Although it's a bit of a kick to the balls to find out I still don't classify as even class IV total (4kg short - but i do have a class III squat). But hey, this ain't supposed to be easy.

Hmmm? The chart from rawpowerlifting has much lower totals than the USAPL/IPF ones.

My bench still isn't a Class IV on the rawpowerlifting numbers, but my squat and dead are pretty well into Class III, and my total just barely broke Class III with that site.

According to the USAPL/IPF, I have a Class IV total. The USAPL/IPF does allow geared lifting, which may explain why their class standards are a bit higher than rawpowerlifting.

Since this is a raw meet, perhaps we should just stick with the class definitions over at rawpowerlifting?

The USAPL/IPF does allow geared lifting, which may explain why their class standards are a bit higher than rawpowerlifting.

Since this is a raw meet, perhaps we should just stick with the class definitions over at rawpowerlifting?

Ah. Good point. Then yes, we should just use the raw standards. Even simpler - and better on the ego.

Hey Ferrous Maverick: Thanks. I don't want to clutter up this thread about just me so I replied to you here

Mike - Thanks for organizing this event. Wasn't great timing for me, but I gotta say it forced me to do a half-decent squat, which is something I hadn't done for a few months. Might even do another one (squat) in a week or so's time :ph34r:

If you guys decide to set standards, why choose a system that is USA-centric? For example the weight classes in the www.rawpowerlifting.com tables are the old pre-2011 IPL ones. Also, is it common in countries for non-paused bench presses to be used in competitions? That can add e.g. another 5kg or more to a lift at my level.

I don't think it's common. The USAPL in my area requires paused bench, raw (no knee/hip/elbow wraps, belt only). I've been hunting for a competition near me, and they are all either past (April/May) or the outfit hasn't been operating for at least 3 years.

I didn't catch rawpowerlifting.com's rules--they allow touch and go? I was just looking for standards that would be reasonable for our group here.

Any suggestions for how to set up the achievements section. I am set on only awarding achievements for lifts made during the ISPWL meets.

I think the achievements should be set for lifts made during any meet. As long as the lifter can provide video or a link with the results.

I don't think it's common. The USAPL in my area requires paused bench, raw (no knee/hip/elbow wraps, belt only). I've been hunting for a competition near me, and they are all either past (April/May) or the outfit hasn't been operating for at least 3 years.

100% RAW is a good federation and holds a number of events in Virginia each year. There is a push-pull competition in Woodbridge and a full power meet in Marlowe Heights, both are in July. There are also two more full power meets in Zion's Crossroads (Charlottesville) in September and December. I'll be at the December meet.

There is also a USAPL meet in Glen Allen (Richmond) in August.

I didn't catch rawpowerlifting.com's rules--they allow touch and go? I was just looking for standards that would be reasonable for our group here.

100% Raw essentially follows the same rules as the USAPL/IPF. They don't allow touch and go and are pretty strict on squat depth. The two differences that I can think of immediately are that 100% Raw does not allow knee sleeves and the only have a press and rack command for the bench.

I think the achievements should be set for lifts made during any meet. As long as the lifter can provide video or a link with the results.

That's a fair suggestion. It would give people who plan their training around official meets a chance to get involved here.

I PM'd you. Thanks for the heads up.

So will gym lifts be allowed or is it competition lifts only?

Will wait to here from Mike, but my impression is competition lifts only--either from the IS PWL or from another power lifting event.

So will gym lifts be allowed or is it competition lifts only?

Will wait to here from Mike, but my impression is competition lifts only--either from the IS PWL or from another power lifting event.

Berin has it right. The only 'gym lifts' will be ones that were made specifically for the IS meets.

I now see a potential problem with allowing lifts from real, sanctioned meets. If they aren't raw meets, it wont be fair to those using the results from our own raw IS meet. So we should only allow outside entries (for the achievements) from officially raw events.

I completely agree. They must be raw meets that meet or exceed the requirements for IS meets. Fortunately, USAPL/IPF rules are essentially identical to IS rules and 100%RAW are more restrictive.

The only problem is that this community is still quite small and quite a few don't compete or have any plans to compete. Competing in the forum comp really depends on where you are in your training cycle, so again that reduces the amount of entrants.

Using meets only may leave out quite a few forum members.

Sign in to follow this