Sign in to follow this  
aria

Umbilical Hernia.

Had keyhole repair using mesh on Thursday.

Anyone got experience of returning to training after similar repair?

Going to follow surgeon advice on timing, was hoping for a steer on starting weight. (Surgeon just said start 'very light').

Tempted to go back to bar and just use bigger increments.

Work is full time 'desk jockey' these days, nothing physical at all.

Any advice appreciated, even if your experience is with other type of hernia.

I would start very light, it's not worth it having the hernia reoccur. The recovery is fairly quick compared to other scenarios and you'll be back into the swing of things. Just make sure to take it easy.

I know user DonkeyKong has had an inguinal hernia repair.

Going back to the bar might not be a bad idea. If you feel discomfort unracking the bar, it's too heavy.

Thanks guys. Back to the bar seems best option.

I had an umbilical hernia mesh repaired about 12 years ago. It wasn't keyhole surgery, still have the scar to prove it.

The worst part of the surgery was when the surgeon phoned up just before I went in to the operating theatre to say he would be late, but it was ok for his trainee to carry on without him :blink:

I had 10 weeks off work as I was a postman at the time which involved quite a lot of physical work.

I didn't do any lifting of anykind for those 10 weeks (even though we moved house, fortunately my wife is naturally strong!).

I started back slowly doing upper body lifts, I wasn't really doing any squats or deadlifts back then, so they weren't an issue.

I never really think about it now, it never causes me any problems at all.

My advice would be, be patient, do nothing for a while then start back real slow, it will be worth it in the long run.

I had an inguinal hernia repaired about 1 year before I started training so I dont really know the timeframe for coming back from one. But I can say once you are recovered it shouldnt be any problem. Ive been able to squat and dl around 500lbs and its fine. Very rarely the area will feel tender, but if you just rest it for a day or two Ive always been right back to it.

Also found that if it bothers me a little to say squats or DL then I can bench without any problems. So you can probably get back to benching earlier than the other lifts.

John, Tim, thanks very much for the advice & sharing your experience.

John - that story sounds like something from 'Carry on doctor'!

I'll definitely go back to the empty bar when I return to training. Won't take me long to get the weight up.

Timeline from surgeon is 2 weeks of nothing, then 2 weeks of walking/mobility stuff, then back under the bar.