Sign in to follow this  
matt

No Sleep After Lifting

Recently I've noticed I can't seem to get to sleep after training.

I usually get home from work at 7pm, put the little ones to bed at 7.30pm & on training days out at the gym by 8pm, back home by 9.15/30 & then feed up, bed by 10.30. But for the last few weeks I've found myself laying in bed & not being able to drift off until past 12 which isn't great when the little cherubs sometimes wake up at 5am.

Anyone have tips on 'winding down' after training?

A dose of melatonin after training will help a lot.  Another thing to consider is to make sure you have some 20m low intensity steady state (LISS) cardio work to help lower the resting heart rate.  That helps with sleep in general--and recovery.

Contrast showers help immensely with winding down if you can handle that. Like FM said, melatonin helps if you can get it with b6 it's better.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I've tried contrast showers in the past for - I like them in the summer, during the winter they're a little WoAH!

Are you able to train in the mornings? I assume that the reason you can't get to sleep is increased metabolism, pulse, respiration, etc are increased.

long hot soak in the tub with a good book

Are you able to train in the mornings? I assume that the reason you can't get to sleep is increased metabolism, pulse, respiration, etc are increased.

No chance. My gym opens 7.30, by then I'm on my train heading to London. Other local gyms are too far & the gyms in central London are overpriced health clubs.

long hot soak in the tub with a good book

Alas can only fit these in on rest days.