Sign in to follow this  
MathiahM

Upright Rows

Everything I hear about Upright Rows is that they are dangerous and kill your shoulders. All I ever heard about BTN Pressing is that it's dangerous and will kill my shoulders, so far no problems there, so my question is, are Upright Rows really all that dangerous, or is it another case of people not doing an exercise correctly and hurting themselves?

Beyond that, is it an exercise that would be worth using if you wanted to strengthen your shoulders?

Would you simply be better off just doing high volume Overhead Pressing?

Has anyone here used them? Did they give any benefits that couldn't be gotten more efficiently with another exercise?

Upright rows are dangerous cause there is a lot of internal shoulder rotation involved which puts a lot of strain on the rotator cuff.

Regarding the BTN press it's usually regarded as a dangerous movement because the general population's shoulders are over internally rotated and they lack external rotation. The BTN press externally rotates your shoulders and so the "average" person doesn't have the flexibility and mobility for full range of motion. In my opinion I think it is a good movement as it promotes external rotation like a face pull; as long as you only go as far as your own moblity allows.

Upright rows are dangerous cause there is a lot of internal shoulder rotation involved which puts a lot of strain on the rotator cuff.

Regarding the BTN press it's usually regarded as a dangerous movement because the general population's shoulders are over internally rotated and they lack external rotation. The BTN press externally rotates your shoulders and so the "average" person doesn't have the flexibility and mobility for full range of motion. In my opinion I think it is a good movement as it promotes external rotation like a face pull; as long as you only go as far as your own moblity allows.

If your employer finds this post you will be fired.

If your employer finds this post you will be fired.

Neh

Pressing, the regular pulling plus this is enough for balanced and healthy shoulder development:

always with the shirtless Azayn guy...

• Upvote 1

Going too heavy plus a lack of flexibility/mobility is the cause of injury.

However, dont like upright rows for strength or mass to be honest, delts grow just fine from overhead and bench pressing.  As for strength, delts have never been an issue or weakness, only the triceps.

BTN Press is good if you have the flexibility in the shoulders and thoracic spine.

For strength: Just press + tricep assistance

For mass: Just press + lateral raises

some good info here guys, and a video of my 2nd mancrush :wub:

He's my first, don't feel ashamed :]

For strength: Just press + tricep assistance

For mass: Just press + lateral raises

Shake 'n stir for awesumness.