Sign in to follow this  
wellhairedbeast

Barbell Squat + Chains Around Neck

To illustrate what I tried to describe in the topic heading, here is a photo of Chris Duffin illustrating the point (he has used them for paused work but as far as I could tell has never explained them much). The bar is bent as its a buffalo bar - its not from the weight.

chrischains.jpg

Now this obviously adds an additional stability challenge with the chains in a high bar position pulling you forward with the barbell in a low bar position as normal.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with these or have seen people doing them (does this variation even have a more specific name?). The reason I am interested in these is that I was wondering if these might be a good alternative to Safety-Squat Bar Squats - which cause the weight to pull you forward causing you to work harder to remain in a stable position.

I train at home and don't have the money for a safety squat bar before anyone suggests to just do those. I know with the specialty bar the whole load is pulling you forward - whereas with the chains it is only the load from the chain doing this so there are not like for like.

Just do frontsquats and properly performed backsquats instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIs49mSvzAg

Saw this a while back, and for 60$ it seems like a real sturdy bar.

Edit: Thinking about it, it seems like an unnecessary addition to an already amazing movement.

If one was to do this to build extra strength, in order to have less forward lean, then it would be much more time efficient and smarter, to just to work on the posterior chain and core, after squats. Instead of trying to specifically work them further/additionally, while squatting.

However, I could see a rebuttal to my statement such as this: "The carryover might be greater when doing squats this way, than trying it the way I stated above." But I don't see that as being true.

I think I read an article on T-nation a while back that recommended doing something like that for your entire workout.

I don't remember what the reason was...erector strength maybe?

Either way it seemed a bit excessive and silly

Thanks for the replies.

That homemade device was not a safety squat bar, its just a bar with handles - the safety squat bars have cambered sleeves to offset the load. I will carry on using back squats (which I do spend most of my time doing) and front squats as normal, but I am using the conjugate method ( I am not here to debate programming ) and safety squat bar variations are often recommend as a very effective tool on this method where the exercises for ME work are rotated (again most of my squatting is regular back squatting on DE sessions which includes the speed work and heavy work afterwards as well).

What I am an interested is if the aforementioned exercise would provide similar benefits to using that particular speciality bar.

- and the article suggesting you wear a chain around your neck for an entire workout does seem excessive and ridiculous so I agree there (unless its for loading chins/pullups or dips as I use chains around my neck instead of a dipping belt). Things should have a point to them and not be done for the sake of it.

A camber bar would be a better choice IMO

Err' body wanna be a bodybuilder but nobody wants to wear a big ass chain!

Why wouldn't you try that if you happen to have a chain but lack a camber bar?

Because wrapping them on either end of the bar instead is a lot kinder on the neck and would probably have better carry over to be honest.

Cheers for replying - I agree using something like a cambered bar or SSB would be better, I just don't have access to them*. The chain's are not there for accommodating resistance so placing them on the bar wouldn't have the same effect as in the picture - they don't touch the ground so its a straight weight addition, but they do add a displaced/offset weight.

* ( I am not looking for a magic exercise to use in my training or anything, or as a replacement of regular squats - it just a potential tool that could be added to the toolbox for later, or be disregarded if useless. )

Well if you want to try the different offset, and a camber bar really feels a lot different than a regular one, just slapping on the chains on the ends wouldn't be the same thing. But yeah, it would really have to be a big chain and quite certainly uncomfortable on your neck.