Sign in to follow this  
Xispe

I'm Sure This Gets Asked Many Times.

Hello,

Just recently i left streetworkout and started lifting. I spent the first two weeks learning the lifts from experienced people i know and on the 31 th September i started my Strength training journey.

I am now on the 8th week of Stronglifts and i'm running into some problems on the squats. My legs really hurt when i do them, so i deloaded 10% and it eased the pain a bit.

My question is: Is 5x5 too much volume for the weight i'm currently doing? Should i switch to 3x5 or should i just suck it up, and continue with 5x5?

Also, i really miss pull-ups/chin-ups and dips. can I still do them at the end of the week with added weighted? If so, should i do Chins on deadlift day and Dips on Bench day once a week?

My lifting numbers are:

Squat: 100 kg (deloaded to 90 kg) - 220 LBS

Bench: 77.5 Kg (my weight) - 170 lbs

Rows: 67.5 kg (deloaded to 62.5) - 148.8 LBS

Deadlift: 120 kg - 265 LBS

OHP: 57.5 kg ( deloaded to 50 kg) - 127 LBS

Also, my form is in check with all my lifts, i always make sure of that by recording my lifts and reviewing them later with other people.

Thank you so much for your time ,

Sincerely,

Xispe

What do you mean by your legs "hurting"?

You should never begin a program on the 31th of September.

Where does it hurt?  Is this during or after squatting?  Does anything else cause the same pain?

• Upvote 2

Hello,

Thank you for the quick replies.

The legs hurt after squat, in between sets. I don't really know how to describe the pain, it's just an overall hurting sensation through my quads.

I have a hard time to believe that you have people who can credibly critique your form, but cannot explain to you what muscle pain/DOMS is.

Could you elaborate how experienced those people who help you are exactly? I've been 'helped' by 'knowledgeable people',, of course with all of the good intentions in the world, but in the end it did everything but help me.

As long as there's no acute pain in your joints (knee, hip) then it sounds like soreness from lifting.

I'd post form vids here if you could.

• Upvote 1

Really good form man, don't see anything wrong that would make your quad region hurt. Try working on mobility and different stances and see how that works out for you.

No that isn't to much weight, unless it's to much weight for you.

And yes you can still do accessory exercise like dips and pullups, and accessory work is usually recommend when doing a program like stronglifts.

You can add pullups to your bench days, and dips to your deadlift days. I would also recommend adding some core work and whatever else you feel you need work on.

I'd do

WOA

Squat

Bench

Row

Dips

WOB

Squat

OHP

Deadlift

Chins / Pull Ups

I can't comment on the pain, because I'm not qualified to do so.  But there is a difference between injury pain and muscle soreness as a result of lifting.  Some muscle soreness is normal when you're lifting.  My quads and hams are generally a bit achy all the time at the moment, but I know that's not injury.

before medhi changed it, SL used to include pullups / chinups and pusups or dips, exzaclty the way Rob posted it

start with 3 x fail, and, once you hit 15 reps on the first set, you can go to 3 x 5 weighted (as per SL v 2)

Your form looks good per se, but you're descending way too fast, which results in a bounce at the bottom. It also unsettled you a bit in one of the rep. Try a controlled descent, and power your way up with hip drive.

Also, you've given your strength stats, but what are your body stats? Bodyweight especially? Without that it's hard to guess whether 100 kg is realaly heavy for you or not.

Hello!

Thank you all for taking your time to respond.

I'm currently increasing my BW. I started SL with 74.5 kg (i had never been so thin in my life, thin as in, very low BF) And i am now at 78.5-79 kg after two months.

I also noticed that on the descent, but i think that is mainly due to the light weight. At the moment i'm not able to descend that fast or i would hurt myself :).

As you already know, the squats are shallow by a good margin. I have noticed this sort of a thing starts happening to me when the weight gets heavy, and unless you keep an eye on it, it sort of goes unnoticed.

BTW, at 80 kg, you should ideally be able to squat 100 kg for 5x5, although it differs from person to person. I have seen people able to get to 1.5xBW for 5x5, and also some people struggling with 5x5 after crossing 1xBW. So, if you are finding recovery or the workout time a major issue, switch to 3x5 just for squats and see how it goes.

However, first thing to address is the depth, so I think you should deload and start again by using something to gauge your depth.

To be honest, aslong as it's not injury pain and you're not stalling it's not an issue. If it is injury pain then you need to evaluate what has caused it - poor depth on squats can cause issues. Stick with 5x5, drop to 3x5 when you start stalling (i.e when you stall on squats a couple of times and are unable to progress on 5x5), or take a deload and stick with 5x5 to work on your depth. My legs are usually sore for half the week and i'm regularly squatting 170-180kg for reps, although i'm only doing it once a week i'm doing a leg day (5/3/1), so i'm hitting a lot more volume than you.

Different people are different (obviously), but I found I was squatting about 120kg for 5x5 before I dropped to 3x5, and about 140kg for 3x5 before I needed to move onto an intermediate routine (like Madcow)