Sign in to follow this  
Whiteboii

Should Bar Be At Midfoot, While Deadlifting?

A lot of people that I ask tell me to have the bar in the midfoot area for the deadlift, but I don't think I can do that. My hips become way to high and it seems I use my lower back to much.

They say it's good to be midfoot because it's in the center of gravity.

So, does it matter where the bar is?

Edit: Just for reference, this is me with the bar around midfoot. The hips seem not to high, but usually their higher than this, when it is at midfoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovXHoHKxEss

You have quite long legs, so you're hips are going to be higher in a traditional deadlift than someone with short legs.  If you were doing a clean deadlift, then I'd be more worried about lowering my hips.

Set ups are personal.  I like a hip distance stance, with the bar just back from the mid point, because that stops me hitching at the top with heavier weights.

Mid foot is just a starting point IMO.  It and the straight line bar path commandment have been popularized by Mark Rippletoes and his nutthuggers enforce it strictly.  That doesn't mean it is right.  Start at mid point at see what adjustments need to be made.  

Yea, it just seems with my limp length, I can't do midfoot.

Thanks =)

Oh and another question I had: What are the benefits of turning your feet out while deadlifting? I'm screwing my feet into the ground for a better hip joint position but when i turn it out to much, i can't get my elbows in a proper position. I heard turning your feet out gets you a better lockout, or more power off the ground (not sure which)

It's probably personal preference, but is there anything else to it?

For me it's just a feeling that I can start the lift better with my hips. Helps me direct the force upwards and keep my back angle better.

BTW, did you have the bar between your ankle and your toes or between your heel and your toes?

When your hips and your hamstrings become more flexible and stronger, then you won't have an issue with setting up with a bar at midfoot.

When your hips and your hamstrings become more flexible and stronger, then you won't have an issue with setting up with a bar at midfoot.

Well hopefully, because I know my hamstrings are very tight, so that's probably one issue. It kinda seems like It would be a hip issue, but my hips seem very mobile because I can deep squat easily

For me it's just a feeling that I can start the lift better with my hips. Helps me direct the force upwards and keep my back angle better.

BTW, did you have the bar between your ankle and your toes or between your heel and your toes?

I'm talking about midfoot as in, between end of each foot.

Ok, that's what I thought. Do you normally keep it closer to your shins? Important thing when finding out which position suits you that it's right on the bar path you have for the lift. This way you don't have a bad leverage when you clear the weights of the floor.

I've been taught to deadlift with the bar as close to your shins as possible, if that helps.

You set up with the bar midfoot so that when you bend to grip the bar it will be pressed against your shins.

Thats all that matters, when you initiate the pull the bar needs to be against your shins and dragged up your leg,

If you allow the bar to drift away from your shins at the start the load gets shifted to your lower back which makes you prone to injury.

Its also less efficient as you'll be trying to pull the bar back against your legs while trying pull up at the same time.

You can get away with this at lighter weights but when sbit get heavy you'll fail the lift at around knee level.

Where the feet point is just personal preference.

Hip position is dependant on limb length.

Im 6'3" with long legs and long arms, this puts my hip position a lot higher than a shorter lifter.

• Upvote 1

As Rob and Simon said, setups are personal and based on your mechanics.

I am an inch shorter than you but I put the bar over my laces (mid foot), feet a "jumping width" apart with my toes slightly out.  I grab the bar tight, drop my shins and pull the bar up against my shins.  My hips are higher than I normally see in other peoples videos but it works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAn5OA9DNvM

that's about what I do, bar over the knots in my shoelaces, grip, dip till the shins touch, brace, and lift

Bar doesn't actually scrape my shins, but very close