Sign in to follow this  
SilverOx

Warm-Up/mobility What Do You Do?

http://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8

Came across this article and wondered what majority of people do for warming up and mobility?

Do you follow a set drill as in the link or have you made up your own?

Personally it is an area that I need to improve on especially the mobility part and will probably give the Agile 8 a shot.

I try to figure out what part of my body is decreasing my ROM and do something for that, it's not a set of drills at all before training for me. I might do a familiar routine after training or just on an off day if I feel like it. I think I should do that more than I'm am doing at the moment, Agile 8 or Limber 11 seem like a good option. If I have the time I'll do PNF stretches for about an hour or so, this happens maybe once a month. If I have a specific problem I do something more often, like if my front delts are hurting, I'll try to open them up with a lacrosse ball which usually works.

I start by doing light warm up sets of the exercise that I want to do and in between those warm up sets I do dynamic stretching. I feel like static stretching makes my performance worse rather than better, but that seems to be different for everyone.

I have an aging and relatively-new-to-lifting body, so I do 10 minutes of light leg stretches, some light upper body lifting and a little foam rolling before every workout and run. Doing this almost daily has served me well for 2+ years.

Stretches -

Knees to chest, singles

Knees across chest, singles

Lying down, ankle across opposing knee lower back stretch

Third world squat, hold ~:20

4-6 squat-to-stands

Shoulder dislocations using broom handle

Light lifts -

Behind the neck presses with broom handle weighted with 2 2.5lb dumb bells - 30 reps

Overhead presses with broom handle weighted same as above - 30 reps

Side lateral raises with 2 2.5lb dumb bells -30 reps

Foam roll quads, inner thighs, glutes

Then I am ready to lift or run

I had some time this afternoon and gave a couple of mobility drills a go being Limber 11 and an upper body drill also by Defranco.

First off, my mobility sucks big time (much worse than I thought) and I will try to do these daily.

Secondly, it appears that I've underestimated the benefit of doing these drills. I felt a lot better after completing these and I hope I can be as dedicated to this as to actually working out.

Hey Nick. My mobility was unbelievably bad when I first started strength training due to decades of inactivity. I realized if I didn't work on it a little every day I wouldn't be able to make much progress, especially with squats, which were completely new to me. That's why I made it mandatory for myself. It took time, but it's paid huge dividends. Hopefully you will find the same. Best of luck to you moving forward.

• Upvote 1

Hey Nick. My mobility was unbelievably bad when I first started strength training due to decades of inactivity. I realized if I didn't work on it a little every day I wouldn't be able to make much progress, especially with squats, which were completely new to me. That's why I made it mandatory for myself. It took time, but it's paid huge dividends. Hopefully you will find the same. Best of luck to you moving forward.

Thanks David.

Foam roll legs and back. Then do dynamic stretches like leg swings. I also do mobility work before my workout, if i'm really tight somewhere.

I foam roll everything from my calves up to my upper back, as well as quads to arms.  This generally takes about 5 minutes.  Then I do some shoulder dislocations with a light band, dynamic ankle warm-ups, followed by 5-10 BW squats.  Finally, I start each lift with the empty bar (5x2) and work up to my working sets.  This is my typical warm-up routine.  I may add in some other stretching if I am feeling particularly tight.

Warm ups waste energy, and I want all the energy a can get for my 1 rep max, that's also why i take a Mass builder juice x9000 strawberry shake, pre workout.