Sign in to follow this  
Robernaut

Not Becoming A Supple Leopard

I can confirm, i am dinosaur

I can confirm, i am dinosaur

You where Kronos, then you were Bronos.

You must be a thesaurus.

• Upvote 1

Well this has been highly informative and I've learned that I'm as dumb as fuck and need to do some more reading lol

On a serious note its interesting how either you're interested in how and why things work or you're purely satisfied with just finding and using something which works without having to know the reasons why.

I'm definitely in the second category for the most part.

i am bronosaurus-rex

I think it turned out to be a flop because no one here - including me - knows enough about any of this.  My wife suffers from chronic neck pain, which follows back squatting.  Who does she chose, the dude who recommends debunked postural work from the 1950's or the coaches who say proper training is of itself corrective (to name just two possibilities)?  It's not about why, it's about what works.

Has she tried the debunked stuff? if nothing else has helped, I'd try it

This is precisely why I did not want to say what them problem is :)

There is nothing wrong with her posture according to the four physiotherapists who have looked at it. And it's not just like trying a program and if it works that's ace and if it doesn't never mind, she suffers incredible pain if it doesn't work.

well I guess I can understand that, but is what they're recomending helping? physios in my area are all but useles

Physios are useless no matter what area you are in :)

It's a muscular problem. That's all anyone can say. Beyond that no one can say anything.

ummm

jeez man that sucks, wish I had any knowledge to share

It's cool :) I will figure it out. I'm leaning towards proper training being corrective at the moment and she can do kettle bell squats without pain.

How much can she back squat without pain?  

Perhaps she doesn't have enough muscle (or fat) to cushion the weight of the bar effectively, so it's sitting on a nerve and causing neck pain?

Not a bean, unfortunately.  She cannot even use a 14k Oly bar without getting pain.  The pain does not kick in until the next day too, so you can think everything is all going well and then she struggles to move enough to get out of bed in the morning.  Oddly enough the pain does not follow any other exercise; though sometimes her neck can suddenly "go" (not exercise related). She has had this problem as long as I known her.  Lifting (with the exception of back squats) appears to prevent it happening of it's own accord.

She does not have terribly good ankle mobility and perhaps could do with shoes.  I am thinking get her some shoes and practicing the movement with a broom handle, while doing things like face pulls and band pull aparts to build up that area.

I also think that overhead squats would be a good idea, because she will be forced to get her body angle right.  But if my theory is wrong (it does not bear thinking about).

From my experience OHP can be a movement that strengthens the neck a lot or at least makes the neck hurt while starting out with it. So there's one movement one might be careful with if neck pain is a problem.

She's fine with OHP, which is the curious thing (but thanks for the suggestion).  Things you would expect to directly effect it negatively actually seem to benefit it.  I cannot think why the back squat would cause the problems it seemingly does.

Sounds like a difficult thing to diagnose! I'd say just stop doing back squats if they cause pain. Especially if other leg work doesn't cause any troubles, then you can compensate the lack of back squats with something else. Try it again maybe after a year if you want to.

nothing wrong with KB squats if you're not training for PLing, hit the core hard as hell, by the time you're heavy enough to feel it in the legs

only potential problem is limited loading , though there are ways around that, too (you can 'stack' KBs 2 to a hand, as long as you have someone to help you) 

How does front squatting affect her? If you can work on the ankle mobility and get some shoes it's really not a bad alternative as long as she can deadlift/RDL for posterior chain work.

Thanks, Rich.  Yeah, I intend to try her out on front squats.  And I've got the GHR and she's good at RDL and deadlifts too, so that may just work.  It just annoying not to know what it is and why it is.  Back squats are not the be all and end all though!

Indeed, Art.  The heaviest KB I have (at the moment) is 32k and when she can do reps with that, I think she'll be doing well to be fair.  And then I can always get another one.

Thanks, Henio.