Sign in to follow this  
aria

Stabbing Pain In Ribs.

I screwed something up on Monday during rows. My back was perfect, but I felt a sharp pain under my ribs on the right side toward the end of the set.

It's been getting worse. Am going to have to go to doc today. Haven't been able to breathe deeply without pain since Wed and it has started waking me the last couple nights. It's right side only, very localised in about the middle of ribcage.

Anyone had this, and how'd you get rid of it?

Symptoms sound like a cracked rib, but unlikely given the cause ... unless you had previously cracked it unknowingly - e.g. with an impact - and the movement aggravated it. I think you'd know if that was the case.

Intercostal muscles are easily strained (torn) with even mild exertion and can hurt. I've had this happen several times doing various weight exercises - generally involving standing and bracing the torso. e.g. standing barbell or dumbbell biceps curl can do it. Can't say I'd call it a stabbing pain though, but pain is subjective, and in my experience intercostal strains generally don't get worse unless you do something to hurt them - such as take a deep breath, shout, cough, sneeze, twist suddenly or do weights exercises that put tension on them.

Either way, there's not much you can do other than rest them and avoid anything that causes movement in them that hurts. Week or so should see it improving if it's a strained intercostal - longer if it's a full-thickness tear of the muscle; couple of months for a cracked rib and maybe some anti-inflams and pain killers to get you through it.

Hopefully it's nothing more serious, but making those diagnoses are what doctors are for and you probably know by now!

• Upvote 1

Thanks much John, really appreciate the detailed feedback..

Been to the doc. It's cartilage damage (Costochondritis). Got some co-codomol painkillers, but will try and use them at night only. I'll horse on some Voltarol (NSAID gel) when I get home from work.

She was a good doc, said it was a hazard of heavy lifting and while painful, it's not dangerous.