Sign in to follow this  
Whiteboii

How Much Accesory Work Does It Take To Affect Cns Recovery?

Squats and deadlifts really do a lot of work on the CNS, but how much accessory work would it take to do the same?

Accessory work like curls, shurgs, rdl, chin ups, and other light exercises in the 8 rep range.

Reason i'm asking is because I want to do a lot of accessory work onto my 3x5 program, but don't want it to affect my recovery

a deadliftinng PR made me need one week to recover

lol

but in regular work out,doing push ups and pull ups,and stuff like that

seem to help my recovery actually

btw,i wouldn't call rdl,as light excersice

It would take a stupid amount alongside poor nutrition and poor rest.

they're called accessories for a reason, the weights are light for reps.

If you're doing enough assistance to hurt your CNS, you're not pushing the main lift hard enough. With that said, the answer is a lot. On upper-body days I'm doing 15,000 lbs. Of assistance work and on lower-body days I'm doi g between 30-50,000 lbs. Of assistance work and I still know it's the DL that has me wrecked.

What others have said, plus - go and try to see what your body can handle. The only real answer is the one that works for you, and you'll only know how much is too much by finding out for yourself.

Personally I have a very high capacity to recover, but prefer to use it up going harder on the main lifts rather than accessories myself.

I do a stupidly large amount of accessory work. But it doesnt mess with me much.

You have to understand that your workload is itself trainable. So if you want to add more work do it in small chunks. Try adding one set of an accessory movement (add 1xF on chins or something). Then do that for a week or so and add another set. This way you slowly add work to your sessions.