Sign in to follow this  
Ivanhoe

Soreness In Elbows When Benching

I sometimes experience soreness/weakness inside both my elbows at the base of the biceps at the very start of a heavy lift as if I'm bench pressing with poor alignment. Last time I attempted a 1rm I felt as if all the weight was being lifted at that one spot but apart from this exercise I never have discomfort in this area. Has anyone experienced or have a solution for this problem please?

I used to get elbow pain from what I thought was benching, but it turned out that I had my elbows in a really bad position when I squatted and that stress was bleeding over and would manifest in the bench. So maybe check on that too.

But if you can video yourself, look at your wrist and elbow positions. They should be in allignment. i.e. Your wrist should be pretty close to staight in line with your elbows. This is good benchin alignment. Now this doesnt mean you only have on good alignment bench grip. Different degrees of elbow flare/tuck can get you aligned in different grips. So honestly I dont think thats the problem.

As much as it might sound crazy try adding some bicep work. The bicep stabilizes the arm when benching and if they arent up to par then it will hurt your bench potential and likely your elbows. The bicep is very analogous to the hamstring when squatting. If your hamstring start lagging behind then you hurt your squat potential, same with biceps.

I too had this for a while, doing more hammer curls seemed to fix it for me

I'll add some bicep work on bench days then and see what happens, thanks for the fast responses.

Agree on the bicep work, also if you have a wide grip maybe move your hands in a little.

Will try this as well, thanks Simon

Have moved my hands closer on bench and added bicep curls but early days with this.

Tim, tonight my elbows are rather painful at the lowering of the first rep of each set and I think squats are causing this. I will look at how I hold the squat bar next week but what do you recommend? Am I holding the bar too tight while squatting?

@Ivan, I found that bringing the hands out a little bit made a world of difference with the squat.  The balance being you should still be able to keep the tight upper back.  Technically you can put your hands all the way out so they are touching the sleeves and it's still legal in competition.  My hands are about where the pins are, so I have to be careful reracking the bar.  That seems to be the sweet spot for me that keeps the elbows happy and the back tight.

I had same kind of deal myself. I hurt my elbow squatting so that I couldn't really bench press afterwards. I remember my pain being on the triceps side, but can't really be sure. The reason for me was that the bar was sliding down my back and putting pressure on my hands throughout the reps. Better bar position helped me.

I also got elbow pain from doing biceps curls and/or skullcrushers when I started lifting. I ditched these for a long time it helped me then. I nowadays use those regularly. I don't think you have similar though, because I'm pretty sure this was more inside the elbow on the triceps side for me.

I've made a 10kg increase in my bench PR and no longer struggling with elbow pain. I ditched arm curls and incorporated bicep chin ups once a week after bench instead of just doing wide grip chins.

Thanks guys.