Sign in to follow this  
Whiteboii

Push Press: Normal Vs Behind Neck.

So I was planning on starting a new program with Normal overhead press's but after watching Jason blahas video on push press vs normal press, I decided to start doing Push Press. Not only that but I want to start doing Olympic lifts more and learning to push press correctly would be a good step.

I tried push press with a normal grip, and it didn't feel comfortable, obviously because I've never done push press, and because I haven't overhead pressed in months.  I then tried Behind the neck and it felt a lot better.

My shoulder mobility is really good and I have no pain with behind then neck movements.

Questions:

Am I missing out on something when doing behind the neck vs normal?

Which ones do most Olympic lifters do?

Any other pros and cons?

I will eventully do normal push press's but I want to get better mobility before I do so.

Here's a video

Go to 0:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui85lOUST68

Im no expert on PP. But it looks like you arent getting much drive out of your legs. Every single time, and I really do mean every, I do a PP I think faster. Always strive to dip and reverse faster. The faster you drive your legs the higher the bar will be when your leg drive is no longer contributing. And lastly PP will feel weird for a while before you get used to it. If it feels awkward on your wrists or elbows maybe try taking your grip out some. Some people have longer forearms relative to their arm length which will pretty much necessitate a wider grip. (if you have the 3rd edition of Starting Strength Rippetoe talks about this in the Press Chapter, not sure about other editions as I lost those books long ago)

Ive been using PP over strict press for more than a year now and I like it.

Now Ive never done Behind-the-Neck (BtN) PP. I do a fairly frequent amount of Snatch Grip Btn Pressing (Klokov Press) and it makes my shoulders feel better. But this is coming from a powerlifting percpective with a fair amount of benching. It feels somewhat risky to me to do BtN PP because when the PP weight gets heavier the eccentric, at least when I do regular PP, the weight comes down pretty quick and I would be worried about dropping that weight on the back of my spine.

• Upvote 1

Thanks man =) Yea I still need to work on being fast and explosive. Hopefully it will come, the more I practice.

The BTN push press is going to work your shoulders more and you will probably have to use less weight. The regular push press is going to work your pecs more. Both exercises are good. If you do really want to get into Olympic lifts, the BTN PP might be a slightly better choice because it can help build shoulder stability.

I'm going to echo what Frozen said about leg drive. Think fast LEGS, every time. I'm going to guess that your strict press isn't much less that your push press. If you have strong leg drive there will be a pretty significant difference.

BTN presses give much better shoulder development imo, more recruitment in the side and rear delts 

Oh wow, I would think that the normal PP would be much better for Olympic lifts because it would translate over to a  jerk more?

Simple answer: Do both. Clean grip from the front, snatch grip from the back.

I don't think I agree with the muscle activation bias.. 

I also thought that PP from behind allows you to use more weight because it uses a lot of "back squat" strength?

I'm pretty sure I read some article about Glenn Pendlay discussing the PP and saying that you need a strong front squat to PP alot from the front, while from the back, the back squat would be a reference.

You can use ALOT more weight BTN, and if you're an oly lifter that may be more helpful simply because it will allow you to have heavier weights locked out overhead.