Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Machine Assisted Pull-Ups/dips

i m wondering if this goood be any useful

never used it before because noone of the gyms i ve been had one,

i m in a new gym,3 weeks now,and a few days ago i noticed there is this machine,

does anyone using it?

till now i have been doing warm up for the pull ups,to the pull down machine,with the half of myweight

now i m thinking to starting with this machine with my half weight or smth

and also using it with 5-10kg ass. on the last set

wut ya think?

should i bother?

no, nobody uses it ... useless piece of equipment

They're shit, just do rack pull ups if you cant do a full pull up or use resistance bands.

Chin-ups (palms facing you) are easier and a good way to build up to pull-ups (palms facing away).

If you can't do chins either then using rack pull-ups (they are halfway between an inverted row and pullup, and lesson the load - a bit like pushups from the knees) as per Simon's advice or using slow controlled negatives as per Jasper's suggestion would be a good method. Those would be best the choice, second would be using resistance bands and the last resort is using the assistance machine. Using "assistance" changes the strength curve and its better to learn to move your own bodyweight - even if your using the rack and putting your feet on the bench to lighten the load.

I used one for a while, it might eventualy lead to pullups, but it'll take a long time. I got a lot more out of bands. Negatives are likely faster, but they gave me elbow tendonitis

I'll go against the grain and say I would rather use the assisted chin-up machine or a lat pull down than use bands. Bands always seem to make them too easy at the bottom and just as hard as they would be without bands at the top.

that's true, Adam, but it's the start that you usualy need the most help with, and since you're lifting almost your whole weight at the top, your'e working harder in at least that range of motion than on the assisted pullup

I will say though that lay pulldpwns will do the job, especialy if you don't use the safeties, so when you get to BW or thereabouts, you come up off the seat

I'll go against the grain and say I would rather use the assisted chin-up machine or a lat pull down than use bands. Bands always seem to make them too easy at the bottom and just as hard as they would be without bands at the top.

I do agree with that to an extent, that's what I meant by altered strength curve when using assistance (in the form of bands) to help you with the movement. However most people are stronger at the top of the movement so using bands would allow them the trainee to still develop more strength at the top when the bands deload, whereas the machine does provide a regular level of assistance throughout the movement - some people will need this, others will not and it will make the second half too easy.

That's why I think doing a progression from easier bodyweight movements is he best solution, but there is more than one way to skin a cat - doing any of this will get you stronger, and get you to doing pull-ups.

I originally learnt to do pull ups by using a lat pull down and strict horizontal rows.

Both machines are pretty damn good, its just those assisted machines i dont like, they always felt awkward when i tried them many moons ago.

Pendlay rowing your bodyweight with minimal body english will also be a good indicator for doing pull ups IMO.

I pretty much stopped pull ups for a good few years but the combination of heavy deadlifts and pendlay rowing 140kg meant i could still get a few reps even weighted ones at close to 300lb bw.

that's true, Adam, but it's the start that you usualy need the most help with, and since you're lifting almost your whole weight at the top, your'e working harder in at least that range of motion than on the assisted pullup

I will say though that lay pulldpwns will do the job, especialy if you don't use the safeties, so when you get to BW or thereabouts, you come up off the seat

I can start just fine, but locking out at the top?  That's hard.  So bands won't help me.

i wonder y noone mention the starps  as assistance to do pull ups

they do help a lot imo

what are starps

I can start just fine, but locking out at the top?  That's hard.  So bands won't help me.

I think you're the first person I heard of who gets stuck past the halfway mark, most are fine once the arm passes 90

and what are starps, and how do they help?

How many ~300lb guys do you know that can almost do a pull up?  When I get lighter, I'll be putting in the effort to get both pullups and weighted pullups so I don't run into this problem again.

Verry few, and most are chemicaly assisted, I know you will get your pull ups man, you're a beast

How many ~300lb guys do you know that can almost do a pull up? When I get lighter, I'll be putting in the effort to get both pullups and weighted pullups so I don't run into this problem again.

you're there already Mav, the weakness is in your arms as they finish the movement.

Lower traps and lats do the work up to that point.

maybe do some cheat reps, top part of the movement only.

@LSG, that's good to know!  And you are definitely right, it's my arms wanting to give out at the top.  I'll definitely start doing that.

I agree with Mav, the top part is the hardest already. I fail a chin-up because I can't get my chin over, I never fail a rep at the bottom. Partner assisted is the best way to go in my experience since they can actually help where you need it.

For becoming better at locking out I'd suggest doing chinups, as this shifts the focus a bit from back to biceps compared to pullups.

I'd also add that the forearms come into play quite a bit for completing a pull up.

Also have to remember to be explosive from the bottom, the acceleration will help you to complete the rep.

Especially useful as in most cases pull ups are done after deadlifts, rows and other back work.

Could also try some holds at the top just to get some TUT in the bi's and forearms.

That's interesting to know LSG, I never had a problem getting them once I passed the middle point, my problem was always starting them

Any way I went the bands route, and it worked pretty good for me, obviously it's not the same for everyone

CURLZ BRO!