Sign in to follow this  
tapan

Squats Not Progressing At All

Hey guys,

I squat ATG high bar. My squats have been stuck around 40-50Kg for more than a month now. While coming out of the hole, I move to the front. What could be the possible cause ?

Meaning you fall forward? Do you have a video?

Try doing heavy ab work, that have helped me a bit with form. But also doing front squats (which works abs aswell). So i think ab strength is key.

@lunamud not exactly..I involuntarily put my right foot forward.

It's hard to tell. A video would help. I'm going to guess that you are wearing smooshie shoes and you lack ankle mobility. If that's the case, I would work on those things.

You might also want to try warming up with body squats right in front of a wall. Put your feet about 6 inches away from the wall, keep your chest up, and squat down between your legs. You won't have any room to fall/step forward, your hips will feel like they are splitting apart (in a good way), and it will hopefully help ingrain a better movement pattern.

Are you coming up on your toes? If you did you would become unstable and your foot would natural come forward.

I think posting a video is your best bet as you really shouldn't be coming forward as described so something sounds off form wise. Its easier to reach depth if you come up on your toes - but you need to keep your heels flat on the ground, trying to curls your toes upward is a good cue to keep your weight correctly on your feet.

- That might not be it, I am having to guess without a video.

I'm having to guess without a video, but is the right side of your gym sloping forward quite steeply? :)

Abs work - Doing, will do more

Ankle Mobility - Will work on it

Will try to get  a video ASAP

Have you tried going back down to a lower weight and then working your way back up? Or maybe even taking a rest for a week?
I've found that those have helped me if I've plateau an exercise.... 

I'm having trouble figuring out how someone who weighs 200 lbs. (even if you are  taller than average) can't squat 110 lbs. You should have been able to go into the gym on the first day and squat that much. Neither bar position, nor form, really explains this. 110 lbs. is simply a light weight for someone your size. If you weighed 130 lbs. maybe I could understand but something doesn't add up here.

Without a video nobody can do anything to help you with your form. All I can suggest is that you try harder, because even if your form is bad, you should have no trouble squatting this weight. It's likely that you are mentally defeating yourself now because you've been stuck so long. I have no idea how you got stuck in the first place though. This happened to me at 100 kg. squat (at a body weight of 75 kg). My form was fine. There was really no explanation for my stall. It was mental. That's even more likely in your case because 50 kg.  is incredibly light for a squat in both the relative and absolute sense.

Post a video if you want a form check. Otherwise, try harder.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm really curious. Video.

I'm having trouble figuring out how someone who weighs 200 lbs. (even if you are  taller than average) can't squat 110 lbs. 

Wondered the same to be honest, but didnt want to sound harsh.

Seriously guys no need to be harsh.. When i began lifting i could barely bench 20 kg, squat 20 kg.. So it's all about genetics and past training experiences.. And i was about 200 pounds when i began lifting at 16 years old. If you have played computer games your whole life you basically have ZERO fucking muscle on you and ZERO strength.

Seriously guys no need to be harsh.. When i began lifting i could barely bench 20 kg, squat 20 kg.. So it's all about genetics and past training experiences.. And i was about 200 pounds when i began lifting at 16 years old. If you have played computer games your whole life you basically have ZERO fucking muscle on you and ZERO strength.

Though I agree with you, but I bench and power clean more than I squat, so it's not that I have zero strength...just that only the squat is not progressing at all since I started lifting.

Have you tried going back down to a lower weight and then working your way back up? Or maybe even taking a rest for a week?

I've found that those have helped me if I've plateau an exercise.... 

yes I did, no help

I'm having trouble figuring out how someone who weighs 200 lbs. (even if you are  taller than average) can't squat 110 lbs. You should have been able to go into the gym on the first day and squat that much. Neither bar position, nor form, really explains this. 110 lbs. is simply a light weight for someone your size. If you weighed 130 lbs. maybe I could understand but something doesn't add up here.

Without a video nobody can do anything to help you with your form. All I can suggest is that you try harder, because even if your form is bad, you should have no trouble squatting this weight. It's likely that you are mentally defeating yourself now because you've been stuck so long. I have no idea how you got stuck in the first place though. This happened to me at 100 kg. squat (at a body weight of 75 kg). My form was fine. There was really no explanation for my stall. It was mental. That's even more likely in your case because 50 kg.  is incredibly light for a squat in both the relative and absolute sense.

Post a video if you want a form check. Otherwise, try harder.

I believe you are correct about it just being a mental issue...maybe because I got stuck in the hole a lot of times especially while beginning so maybe it's a mental issue..Still I will try to get a video ASAP