Sign in to follow this  
Boola

Alternate Day Fasting For Extreme Fast Fat Loss

I just wanted to tell you my experiences with alternate day fasting that i tried during this summer. I only did it for 2 weeks (14 days. I quit it because of motivation loss but will probably try it again someday.

How i did it:

Fasted every other day and worked out every other day, basically like this:

Monday: Workout 

Tuesday: Fast

Wednesday: Workout 

Thursday: Fast

Friday: Workout

Saturday: Fast

Sunday: Workout

Monday: Fast

Etc...

Diet

3000 calories on workout days. No more, no less. Diet was around 150+ grams of protein, 300+ grams of carbohydrater and the rest fat. 

I like to keep things simple so basically i drank 1 milk before my workout, 1 milk after my workout and had a big meal 2200 calories when i got home, somedays i split up that in two meals.

On fast days i only drank water, coffee and tea. So basically the fast varied from 36-48 hours depending on what time i trained on my workout days.

Results

Waist went from 100 cm to 93 cm which is -7 cm in only 14 days. Weight went from 88 kg to 85 kg. That's the fastest fatloss i have ever experience when trying different cutting methods.

The great thing about this what that i was very productive during my fasting days and i did not lose any strength at all doing this, i gained in all my lifts as af i where on a bulk. It works so well because you are constantly tricking your body to burn fat and build muscle at the same time. You are bulking one day, and burning fat the other day.

Definitly going to try this out again soon and see how long i can keep up with it.

• Upvote 1

Nice one. Did you keep any track of body fat % whilst doing this? It would be interesting to know the ratio of muscle to fat loss you experienced.

@DonkeyKong: Sadly i did not track my bodyfat percentage, but i could see in the mirror my abs starting being more visable and my arm measurement was the same (38,5 cm) before and after this period. You should definitly try it for yourself and see how you respond to it mate.

If you move a lot and are worried about muscle loss i can recommend drinking citrus water or lemon juice water on the fast days, it only has a bout 25 calories per 100 millilitres and has a small amount of carbs in it which helps keeping your glycogen stores up and running during the day. 

Sounds extreme, but as I like fasting, I might give it a shot. It surely got you some decent results, good job. Although I think it's good that you quit after 14 weeks, can't imagine this kind of extreme fasting to be healthy in the long run.

Edit: by the way, how did you deal with drinking on an empty stomach? I hate that feeling to the point that I often don't drink at all for a large part of my fast (I know, I know).

Although I think it's good that you quit after 14 weeks, can't imagine this kind of extreme fasting to be healthy in the long run.

14 days lol :P

Also, you should read eat stop eat, has some points about fasting being very good and how people used to fast for up to 4 days a week i think it was

@Jasper: Also noticed your "14 weeks". :P Water is crucial during the fast days because you need at least 2-3 litres of water to maintain good body functions and get good results from the fast. I just drink when i am hungry basically, which is ever 2-3 hours. The water stops the hunger.

And as Bronos pointed out, definitly read the book "eat stop eat", which is a fantastic read!

Am I the only person who gets hungrier when they drink water on an empty stomach?

Yes you are the only person among 8 billion

You should clarify what 3000 calories is for you. Is it a surplus or deficit, and how big either way?

@Split: You definitly must be lol. :P

@CarlHmS: 3000 calories is about a 500 calorie surplus for me as i stand still eating 2500 calories or 17500 calories a week. :) So with 3000 calories a day i am eating -5500 calories a week under my basic metabolic rate. I think you can easily eat 4000 calories a day aswell on the eating days and still drop weight very fast.

Were you doing Lifting workouts or Cardio?  Ive been toying with this idea but I was planning on "Mon-Lift, Eat      Tues-Fast,Run(Protein shake and complex carbs after running)      Wed-Lift, Eat   Rinse and repeat..."