Sign in to follow this  
Steve

An Organic Egg Is Not Equal

For the last year or so, we have gotten eggs from a friend that has a farm.  The last few weeks the chickens have been laying less so instead of our weekly 3.5 dozen, we are only getting 1 dozen.  I had to buy organic eggs from Wegmans.  (For those not in the Northeast US, Wegmans is consistently rated as the top 1 or 2 Grocery stores in the US.  It sources its food from local suppliers as much as possible).

Yesterday I cracked my last egg from Sarah and then added in three from Wegmans.  The top egg is a Wegmans Organic...

1238061_687792861238712_959785411_n.jpg

Both of these eggs were large and about the same size (the Wegmans organic might have been bigger). I was surprised with the huge difference in color and yolk size.  The difference in richness and fullness of the yolk is what I would expect comparing organic to non-organic eggs.  The Wegmans eggs are "cage free" per their site but our friends chickens are free range which makes a huge difference.  

• Upvote 1

That is true.  Cage free just means they have a patch of grass they can get their grain feed from (which can be all organic grain to satisfy organic chicken requirements).  They aren't getting the small bugs they would normally get if they were actually free range.

+1 to bugs.  My parents had chickens for years (before they all got eaten by foxes and raccoons), and those were the best eggs I've ever eaten.  Gorgeous orange yolks, and they tasted awesome.  Normal store eggs just taste like nothing.

My parents had chickens for years (before they all got eaten by foxes and raccoons), 

:o

Foxes and raccoons ate your parents and their chickens.

• Upvote 2

actualy cage free just means they aren't kept in bitty individual cages, they still may never leave the hen house, which while not considered a 'cage' for the purposes of being called cage free, is really just a bigger cage, so maybe not even a patch of grass

if it says 'grain fed hens' you know they don't leave the coop

Yep, another +1 to FM.  A friend and co-worker of mine has three chickens that eat all sorts of bugs and greens and stuff, and I occasionally get eggs from her.  They are delicious with rich orange yolks.  They make my store-bought organic (yes, organic -- not just cage free) eggs taste like paste.

Ah so it's the bugs making them taste so good and building my muscles. Good to know.

Maybe I should roll down my car window and poke my head out with my mouth open. :)

I am hoping her chickens start laying again soon.. I have no other options except Trader Joe's organic...which will probably be on par with Wegmans.

I think the bug diet makes them richer in Omega 3.  The Omega 3 store eggs I think are supplemented from another source. 

I hope people aren't buying free range eggs and then throwing the yolks away.

Foxes and raccoons ate your parents and their chickens.

I don't know why she didn't mention it, but badgers may have been the culprits.

actualy cage free just means they aren't kept in bitty individual cages, they still may never leave the hen house, which while not considered a 'cage' for the purposes of being called cage free, is really just a bigger cage, so maybe not even a patch of grass

if it says 'grain fed hens' you know they don't leave the coop

This. Cage free means nothing. Free-range means next to nothing.

Yep, another +1 to FM.  A friend and co-worker of mine has three chickens that eat all sorts of bugs and greens and stuff, and I occasionally get eggs from her.  They are delicious with rich orange yolks.  They make my store-bought organic (yes, organic -- not just cage free) eggs taste like paste.

I like to eat eggs from chickens I can visit. The difference is amazing (plus buying local from good people who aren't torturing my food source gives me warm-fuzzies). Chickens are omnivores. A factory fed diet can't compare with the real thing. It's like the difference of eating a tomato out of a friend's garden versus one of those orangey/pink things that the grocery store calls tomatoes. And the eggs are more nutritious as well!

Whenever I hear phrases similar to 'cage free', I think of marketing cowboys. It's a very relative term, isn't it? Most likely not the same kind of free as in that farm.

I see Sarah's chickens when I drop our dog off once a week on Thursday for the day.  (She is also a dog trainer/boarder and has a "big dog" day care on Thursday with 4-5 dogs.)  The chickens are running around outside.

It's a 20 minute ride to her farm but worth it for the eggs and the socialization our dog gets.  

Ah so it's the bugs making them taste so good and building my muscles. Good to know.

Maybe I should roll down my car window and poke my head out with my mouth open. :)

I am hoping her chickens start laying again soon.. I have no other options except Trader Joe's organic...which will probably be on par with Wegmans.

A handfull of worms has as much protien as a cheseburger, and bugs are high protien too

things you learn hanging around survivalists

A handfull of worms has as much protien as a cheseburger, and bugs are high protien too

things you learn hanging around survivalists

Along with the fact that you are big, and bugs are small.  Yes, this observation was written in a survivalist handbook.  Bigger game that eats bugs is more useful.

you would be surprised what is recomended in these manuals

bigger game is tastier, and arguably more useful, bugs and worms are more readily available,more easily catchable, and much lower risk than larger game

it's a risk / reward tradeoff

lol, just go dig in the yard some, you'll likely find a lot of 'groceries' there

lol, just go dig in the yard some, you'll likely find a lot of 'groceries' there

I might have to do that.  Sarah did not have any eggs for me this morning.   :( The chickens are molting and she has gotten 5 eggs total the last two days (she has 23 chickens).   Hopefully some of the hens get through it quick and start producing!

that sucks man, but store bought eggs are better than nothing

Nah, digging will cut into my gains.

When I was a kid my parents had a barn full of chickens. Eggs a plenty! That little f***ing white bantam rooster still haunts my dreams. The little bastard used to chase me right out of the barn. My dad still reminds me how funny it looked from the window seeing me race away from the barn door and this tiny ass rooster comes out behind me.

*In my defense, my mom always just told me to put my flip flops on and he pecked at my feet! :)  I hated him, but he was cute as hell.

lol actualy a Rooster is nothing to fuck with, they're mean as hell and they can fuck you up if you aren't carefull

Dandelions and Thistles.

This is all very eggist,  It's not the eggs fault that it had a poor up bringing and to discriminate on that basis is unfair.  It should have equal opportunities.

Yeah, you´re a bunch of egg-shamers. Sit down and think about what you´ve done.

This is all very eggist,  It's not the eggs fault that it had a poor up bringing and to discriminate on that basis is unfair.  It should have equal opportunities.

but the egg gets to decide it's fate from then on

Yeah, you´re a bunch of egg-shamers. Sit down and think about what you´ve done.

*thinks deeply* 

yeah I'm ok with it