Sign in to follow this  
200smk

Sore Knee

Hey guys.

Wondering if any of you could help me diagnose a sore knee that I have developed doing squats. While doing heavy squats I get a pain in my left knee on the inside just under the knee cap.

I have posted form videos here and had pretty good feedback. I have worked to keep my knees out and from going in front of my toes. Sometimes I feel like I may lean forward a bit on the heavy lift or have a more 'good morning' style upper half of the squat.

Has anyone had a knee issue like this and overcome it? If so, what was the issue?

I'm lost in this and it is keeping me from progressing!!

Thanks!

Knee pain can come from a variety of sources, including but not limited to:

• Technique
  • Tight muscle groups
  • Muscle imbalances
  • Insufficient warmup
  • Overuse
  • Previous injury
  • Osteoarthritis

Do be open to technique playing a part in this, but it could be associated with tight hip flexors pulling the knee more forcefully than the quadriceps.  It could also be weak hamstrings.  To start eliminating some low hanging fruit, try the following options:

• Foam roll the legs on all sides before training and stretch after training--if you have tight muscles, this should clear it up
  • Do more activation work before putting a bar on your back (i.e. body weight squats, or box jumps for 50% of your max height).--if warmup is to blame you should see some improvement with this.
  • Do hamstring specific work like leg curls for high reps (15+ reps)--if you have muscle imbalances this should help you see some improvement.

At least the first two bullet points might be a good idea in general.  If you see improvement with this, then keep it up.  If not then try something else.

If you can't fix it with the bullet points above, you might need an personal coach, or a physio therapist who knows proper squat mechanics.  They can diagnose what's going on with form in person far better and far more quickly than we can setting many miles away in front of a computer screen.

I have had what sounds like the exact same issue, and once I sought physio help, was told the back of my knee was as "tight as a guitar string" and to do some hamstring and other stretches...being in a desk job I am inactive for long periods of the day - hence the tightness, and I also tend to sit on my sofa at night and tuck my left leg up under my right which made it worse no doubt.

hamstring2-375x244.jpg

tumblr_mejpv0pFrn1rpxo9mo1_500.jpgIMG_4621.JPGhamstring_stretch.gif

The IT band is another one that likes to tighten up on folks who sit for too long.  Could be either one of those.

The IT band is another one that likes to tighten up on folks who sit for too long.  Could be either one of those.

Very true...and foam rolling that bad boy the first time will bring a tear to the eye...no question. Enjoy.

This is great stuff guys.......I am a desk jockey all day and have felt that my hams may be tight/imbalanced and have worked more of these types of exercises into my routine.

I will try each of your suggestions and report back in a couple weeks........again, much appreciated!

Just wanted to give an update on this.

Have worked in more stretching and foam rolling into my warmup routine. Has definitely helped.

I did a hefty deload to help give time for the stretching to help. In back up to 80% of my previous max and things feel good.

Will keep you posted and Thanks again for the help on this.

Hey guys.....need some help on this again.

Have done stretching, foam rolling, deloaded....

Back to the same problem.....occasionally my knee on the inside under the cap gets a sharp pain.

I'm thinking it has to be form.....my other lifts are progressing.....my PR on deadlift is 355lbs. So I feel it can't be a core strength problem. My squat is stuck at 225lbs.

Here is a video of my form.....would appreciate any help.

Have left a comment on your form check thread. In addition to foam rolling the IT band and stretching of hamstrings, please also try stretching / foam rolling your calves. They can develop some nasty tightness.