Sign in to follow this  
Troy

Calf Pain From Deep Squatting

Started getting pain in my left calf after I switched to high bar. At first I thought it was just DOMS but it hasn't subsided, in fact it has gotten worse. It almost impedes the contraction of the muscle and I really have to focus on shoving my knees out and driving up evenly but luckily with heavy weight it is not my main focus.

I believe the lifters at Average Bros gym refer to the pain as "calfitis". Have you guys had any experiences with it?

I have no experience with this but i'm 98% sure that I know the cause. It's going to be a mobility issue or a form issue. Learn proper form for deep squats and if you have that down already, then make sure you have proper mobility in your ankles, calfs, quads, hips, and hamstrings.

Try Olympic shoes/plates under heals, if the pain gets better with Olympic shoes, then you know it's a ankle mobility issue.

I have the same problem with front squats, i get some serious calf pain

Thanks for the input, Petro. I already have olympic weightlifting shoes and I will continue working on mobility.

Kronos, I think it has something to do with the rapid descent and bounce at the bottom of the squat perhaps causing a sudden contraction. I feel it mainly in the lateral part of my calf.

I've heard of bad soreness when learning the Olympic squat with a bounce, but never actual pain. Gl with that man, give us some feedback, if it gets better or not.

Its the same for me troy

I don't know if this was said already.

I know that the shoes make a difference, or putting plates under your heels.

The only time I get any calf pain is when I find myself leaning or falling forward during the press up in the squat. You may want to check your form, and do some auxiliary exercises for your hips and upper back to keep the trunk stable during the movement. I've included Glute/Ham Raises and Spinal Good Mornings to strengthen my weak areas.

Note: Check out this youtube series on squating "

"