Sign in to follow this  
Robernaut

Straps!

What straps do you use and are they comfortable?  I have some short Ironmind straps and they really dig in, moreso on my right hand, and cut off circulation.  I have a blue thumb a few reps in.

I guess this might be because they are short (I originally bought them for snatching to spare my hands.  I am now using them for deadlifts and chins too) and because of the way they wrap.

Can you recommend any straps and what length do you use?  Does anyone use the extra long ones (for axle deadlifts) with conventional bars?

Inb4 dont use straps bro, use chalk...

Inb4 dont use straps bro, use chalk...

:D

I Tried a pair of really long heavy duty straps that Vinny had, and by the time you've wrapped em round the bar the event is over...I have a cheap pair (5 on amazon) that do the job, they also cut into my right hand a bit but not as much as yours are it seems...

I Tried a pair of really long heavy duty straps that Vinny had, and by the time you've wrapped em round the bar the event is over...I have a cheap pair (5 on amazon) that do the job, they also cut into my right hand a bit but not as much as yours are it seems...

Damn, because Strength Shop have some decent ones that are padded and cheap, but they are long :(

These Harbinger Padded Lifting Straps maybe the ones to go with if I can find somewhere reputable to buy them from.  They look like the strength shop straps but not a silly length.

Harbinger straps on eBay.

I have Zulu Kevlar wrist straps.

weight-lifting-wrist-straps-zulu-defcon-

My main criticism of them is that they are too long. Otherwise, solid piece of kit.

Btw, you know even if they are long, you don't have to wrap them around more than once? ;)

Yes they look a good bet, I will be getting a new pair as mine are on last legs anyway, quite tatty.

Those are the type I tried, way way too long...even just wrapping them once they are still dangling all over the floor....

They look good Kaktus, just a bit worried about length.  I quite like my zulu belt.

Those are the type I tried, way way too long...even just wrapping them once they are still dangling all over the floor....

Yeah, which annoys me a bit too, but actually doesn't get in any practical way, so if you are less easily annoyed person, Robernaut, you may be ok :D

Yeah, which annoys me a bit too, but actually doesn't get in any practical way, so if you are less easily annoyed person, Robernaut, you may be ok :D

Not sure.  I think I may have similarly high levels or even slightly higher.

Mind you if it makes no practical difference and I will be lifting axles at some point...

Not sure.  I think I may have similarly high levels or even slightly higher.

Mind you if it makes no practical difference and I will be lifting axles at some point...

:D yea I just can't cope with it...just get too annoyed lol

These are the slightly longer Ironmind straps than I have, and they wrap around the wrists.  They might just cut the mustard and they get used alot in WSM if you believe the hyperbole.

I got a pair free with an order to an overpriced strength shop, just a pair of simple canvas straps.  They do the job, not too long but not too comfortable either.

I bought these about a year or so ago and they work fine http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F1IB8S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They did not cut off circulation like you said but I never use them with very heavy weight...like deadlifting.   I only used them in the past for db rows.

Yeah, I climb so I have loads of climbing equipment.  I'm not cutting up my slings though.

I ended up ordering some longer Ironmind wraps, which I am hoping will not be as bad :)

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Yeah, I climb so I have loads of climbing equipment.  I'm not cutting up my slings though.

I ended up ordering some longer Ironmind wraps, which I am hoping will not be as bad :)

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Well i'd say buy some new webbing rather than use what you already have anyway.  Ironmind straps are popular in my gym though

Straps arrived today.  They are better, because of the loop, which goes around your wrist!  That holds it on my wrist and stops the strap riding down onto my thumb.  Looks like there is a nerve on my thumb too, right where the strap was going to, which was the cause of some of the pain / discomfort.

I won't get to use them properly until tomorrow, but I'll do a few sentences on them when I do.

no straps, use chalk instead :P

i ve read many people in forums saying that iron mind straps are the best

i have a cheap pair from a local store,the store's brand actually

work fine

that's a big debate  :)

Do some hang snatch/clean pulls, then you'll change your mind

Or your thumbs will have the strength of a thousand suns

i ve read many people in forums saying that iron mind straps are the best

i have a cheap pair from a local store,the store's brand actually

work fine

that's a big debate  :)

It is, and a circular one that goes nowhere, I'm just trolling :D

I don't use straps because I want to lift raw, purely personal choice, and I do know that the decision slows progress somewhat

Do some hang snatch/clean pulls, then you'll change your mind

Or your thumbs will have the strength of a thousand suns

I do those DOH, but when you realize my lifts could be duplicated by a 10 year old, it's not surprising :D (deadlifted 125 lb last session :o

file_2_6.jpg

I use this type of strap BUT only for DL when I am on the "heavy" sets, I did alot of looking around and decided that I didn't want my grip slowing my lifts down too much B)