Sign in to follow this  
Jasper

Bench Press Form

Because of two videos I saw recently, I got a few questions concerning bench press form. The two videos are:

The think that surprises me is that they don't keep their body tight on the bench, but come up when pressing the bar off their chest. The first one is a semi-pro strongman, second is an elite rugby union player.

Questions:

1) Is there a name for what they're doing, i.e. lifting their butt off the bench?

2) Is this the best technique to hoist maximum weights? I can't recall seeing this in powerlifting videos, though.

3) Don't they lose tightness in their lower body and/or torso by moving their butt up?

4) How to use this technique? I've tried it in the gym but I can't seem to get my whole body up like these two guys do.

The Strongman looks like he is just leg driving and his butt came off the bench. The Rugby player looks like he is just doing what is called "cheating".

The Rugby player looks like he is just doing what is called "cheating".

lol.

Answers

1) Not really an official name. Ive heard it called bridging.

2) Depends. Basically when their butt comes up they are turning the bench almost into a decline bench press. Not sure if you've used one, but most people can

decline bench more than flat. Its not seen in powerlifting videos often because I believe all major federations enforce a "keep your butt on the bench" rule.

3) This ones tricky. Definitely maybe. They are pushing more with their legs (obviously) but none of the force is really moving to the bar.

4) Probably not the way to train. You could do decline bench if you want. But please keep your butt on the bench most of the time.

I don't see a problem with the butt coming off unless you are using your legs to push your chest up while the bar is touching it and basically using your belly to lift the bar. If the butt comes off and the bar is't touching the chest, it just means you are driving hard with your legs. No good if you're a competing powerlifter but otherwise who cares.

Yes, what others said. It's simply leg drive (reasonably poorly executed in the rugby player's case, I must say).

This is what text book bench press form looks like:

Both are illegal in competition.

There's no name for.it, it's what happens when you use a weight heavier than what you can really bench, ass comes up so the body can use a stronger position.

No point trying to bench like that to be honest.

There's no name for.it, it's what happens when you use a weight heavier than what you can really bench, ass comes up so the body can use a stronger position.

I think the point adam was making is that, even though illegal in competition, it doesnt matter if your arse comes off the bench after the press off the chest (i.e so you wont actually be decreasing your range of motion), I think some people just do it out of habit. I have a friend who benches 160kg yet his arse comes off the bench pressing 60kg lol

I think the point adam was making is that, even though illegal in competition, it doesnt matter if your arse comes off the bench after the press off the chest (i.e so you wont actually be decreasing your range of motion), I think some people just do it out of habit. I have a friend who benches 160kg yet his arse comes off the bench pressing 60kg lol

I find it only happens naturally, my ass doesnt move until i get around 160kg, then I have to make a real effort to keep it down.

Dont get me wrong im not a form nazi by any means.

Its the equivalent of hitching a deadlift really, it has its place I just dont see the point of using it in general volume training, only for heavy or max singles.

Was going to say pretty much this +

If you're doing bench for pec development, this isn't usefull form, and if you're benching for strength it's not going to legal in a comp. The only thing this bench will do is make you look stronger, when you clearly aren't.

It's also increases chance of injury because you are using a weight you can't legit handle.

I guess it depends on a matter of degree (of your ass coming up) but I hate vagueness, so I think it's best just to keep your ass down. There's also a matter of degree with high squats (as some high squats are closer to parallel than others) but really, it's best to just go deep enough every time.

I'm not going to see a vid of a guy benching 200kg and go "Didn't count, ass came up!", but for my own personal standards I don't let it happen.

Was going to say pretty much this +

If you're doing bench for pec development, this isn't usefull form, and if you're benching for strength it's not going to legal in a comp. The only thing this bench will do is make you look stronger, when you clearly aren't.

It's also increases chance of injury because you are using a weight you can't legit handle.

My ass would definitely come off the bench if I wasn't flexible enough to get my feet so far under me that my ass coming up is a physical impossibility.

So I guess I just look stronger when I'm clearly not.