Sign in to follow this  
wes59

Usual Gym Problem

Having read several previous posts concerning this problem, I think I will need to switch gyms. In the mean time, I am using a gym that only has Smith machines and I have to do an overhead press while sitting on the bench. It might take me a month to switch gyms so my question- can I go ahead and start the program as planned on Friday (with these modifications for a month) or just store SL away until I can get to a proper free weight rack? Thanks.

I say go ahead and get started, but plan on taking some weight off the bar when you get to a standard barbell.

Kinda had a feeling I would have to regroup. That's ok; I am in this for the long haul anyway. I still need to improve on the 26% BF and (smaller but still there) spare tire. I am looking at doing the SL program and taking in about 2,000 cals/day with 50% in protein, 20-25% in carbs. Is that about right or just nuts? Not too wild about cardio- it just bores me to death.

I am 54, 6 '0" and 194 lbs. All constructive help is appreciated... Wes

Over 40% protein intake coupled with not enough fat is generally a bad idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16779921

Whether you hit it with 25-30% fat intake is very doubtful, but just thought to let you know.

So what do the majority of lifters use as a percentage of protein, carbs, & fat?  I would be ok with a 40% protein, 30% carb, 30%fat.  I am currently taking in roughly 1900-2000 calories/day.  I eat NO processed foods, fast foods, etc.  At 54 years old, I am not expecting a body to resemble the young iron slingers out there.  I do want to turn the head of my sweetie sometimes...

Haven't counted for calories or macros regularly for a while, but when I was, it was something like 25-35% protein, 60-70% fat and 5-15% carbs.

Bring on the bacon, baby!

Thx.  Not a lot of activity on this forum in general, is there?  Too bad.  I like the IS forum ideas...

Most of the activity is in the training logs. If you want more attention to nutrition questions, use the nutrition section of the IS area. It's easy to miss topics in the SL and SS specific areas.

For what it's worth, I dropped my BF from 22% to 13.5% by cutting out junk food entirely for 6 days of the week and just lifting religiously.

I have not eaten junk foods, processed foods, or at a fast food restaurant since June of 2012. I was over 300 pounds at that time, and lost 110 before taking up weights and lifting the caloric count. Now, it seems to be just lift and peel off the fat.

Nice progress Wes! Sounds like you have the diet part figured out (that still is the hardest thing for me).

Keep up with the workouts and your body won't have any choice but to burn that fat off.