Sign in to follow this  
Ivanhoe

Creatine Supplements

I hate responding on my phone. Backyard is meant to be because.

Now that is funny.  I almost Googled "backyard + creatine" thinking that this is yet another thing I need to learn!

...I've read on other threads in this group that guys who eat a lot of red meat don't notice as much difference when they take creatine. ...

Maybe... But one would have to eat 500 g raw meat or fish every day to ingest the optimal amount of creatine.

Creatine is one the most studied supplements out there. It is safe and effective. There is good scientific consensus that it increases power output, fatigue resistance, and lean mass (likely through increased power output and fatigue resistance).

Taking ~5g a day is a good spot.

This.  It works and it is cheap... anyone who trains should take it...

Maybe... But one would have to eat 500 g raw meat or fish every day to ingest the optimal amount of creatine.

This. It works and it is cheap... anyone who trains should take it...

Should?

It works for some people, and others to varying degrees.  I do believe something like 10% of the population are creatine non responders.

Creatine is pretty awesome stuff for a number of reasons. I can't imagine not taking it. I may may see more of a difference than the average user as I am a vegetarian which is all the more reason to take it.

Cheap. Highly researched. Effective. Multiple uses. Safe. I'm in.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/creatine/NS_patient-creatine/DSECTION=evidence

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/873.html

http://beta.nutritionaloutlook.com/news/creatine-might-improve-cognitive-functions-vegetarians

But back to the OP, I have no actual 1RM percentage increases. I can tell when I've been skipping it. I'll be like, "Why am I having such a shitty day? What happened to my strength? Oh, yeah, I forgot my creatine a couple/few days recently."

• Upvote 1

So from what I've heard so far about Creatine, it's a beneficial supplement for a vegetarian but optional for carnivores as they experience mixed results. Is this correct?

So from what I've heard so far about Creatine, it's a beneficial supplement for a vegetarian but optional for carnivores as they experience mixed results. Is this correct?

The worst that can happen (as long as you aren't taking crazy doses) if you are a meat eater is that you will be a non-responder (approx. 1/3 of people). You would have to be eating a lot of fish and red meat to get as much creatine in your diet as you would with supplementation.

It's so cheap. Considering the positive outcomes and safety of it, I don't know why anyone wouldn't give it a shot.

+1 to Luna. I'm vegetarian also. I experienced a profound difference in recovery, strength and general feeling of well being after I started taking it. I'd been training for over a year before I started taking it. Four days after I started, I no longer felt depleted and crappy after workouts. Haven't looked back since.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat mostly chicken for economic reasons, I should probably try this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20026378

Abstract

Myostatin is a catabolic regulator of skeletal muscle mass. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of resistance training for 8 weeks in conjunction with creatine supplementation on muscle strength, lean body mass, and serum levels of myostatin and growth and differentiation factor-associated serum protein-1 (GASP-1). In a double-blinded design 27 healthy male subjects (23.42+/-2.2 years) were assigned to control (CON), resistance training+placebo (RT+PL) and resistance training+creatine supplementation (RT+CR) groups. The protocol consisted of 3 days per week of training for 8 weeks, each session including three sets of 8-10 repetitions at 60-70% of 1 RM for whole-body exercise. Blood sampling, muscular strength testing and body composition analysis (full body DEXA) were performed at 0, 4th and 8th weeks. Myostatin and GASP-1 was measured. Resistance training caused significant decrease in serum levels of myostatin and increase in that of GASP-1. Creatine supplementation in conjunction with resistance training lead to greater decreases in serum myostatin (p<0.05), but had not additional effect on GASP-1 (p>0.05). The effects of resistance training on serum levels of myostatin and GASP-1, may explain the increased muscle mass that is amplified by creatine supplementation.

Time to get on dat dere Creatine. All kiindz of gainzz!

Creatine did jack shit for me! It's all about food man, normal food.

It's so cheap. Considering the positive outcomes and safety of it, I don't know why anyone wouldn't give it a shot.

+1000  -  In the US, you can get a tub of creapure that will last 7-8 months for $20.   Why wouldn't someone give it a long trial?

I used it off and on for 6-7 years.  I have been on it solid for about 18 months which has been a great training period.  Works for me.

Same here, Steve. I buy a 1 kg tub of Creapure for $22 from iHerb -- at this price, there is no reason not to use it.

it's intresting the fact that a simple and cheap amino acid,like creatine,is the issue of such a huge debate worldwide

Keep the comments coming please but I'm after actual 1RM percentage increases or other training benefits that you personally experienced.

Keep the comments coming please but I'm after actual 1RM percentage increases or other training benefits that you personally experienced.

and just how do you think you´ll be able to extract "dem pure creatine gainz" (in terms of 1RM) out of any reports? Unless you get a properly conducted RCT, there are just too many variables in this

and just how do you think you´ll be able to extract "dem pure creatine gainz" (in terms of 1RM) out of any reports? Unless you get a properly conducted RCT, there are just too many variables in this

This!

We're not talking about test or dbol lol

Its just creatine.

all the proof you need.

email.jpg?1313988887

• Upvote 1

There has been frequent mention of the training benefits of Creatine through improved recovery but is this mainly by non or minimal meat eaters?

I'll have to read up on the advantages of increased water weight unless someone can enlighten me.

Daniel, when I posted my question I really hoped for some conclusive measurable data on strength gains experienced by a member here considering all the talk around the wonders of Creatine as I'm rather cynical about reports in magazines etc.

Yes Steve, I'm sure Ronnie Coleman attributes all his gains to Creatine  :huh:  

@Ivanhoe, I can definitely attest to Creatine helping me get through sessions I otherwise wouldn't be able to.  I do eat a decent amount of meat as well--though not as much red meat as I'd like due to the expense.  I don't have precise numbers or any way of quantifying it.  This is more the case now that I'm tapering my caffeine use throughout the day.

Apparently for strength work, caffeine inhibits some of the benefits of creatine (link to peer reviewed research in that article.)--but the combination improves the performance of endurance athletes.

There has been frequent mention of the training benefits of Creatine through improved recovery but is this mainly by non or minimal meat eaters?

I'll have to read up on the advantages of increased water weight unless someone can enlighten me.

Daniel, when I posted my question I really hoped for some conclusive measurable data on strength gains experienced by a member here considering all the talk around the wonders of Creatine as I'm rather cynical about reports in magazines etc.

Yes Steve, I'm sure Ronnie Coleman attributes all his gains to Creatine :huh:

Its unlikely anyone could say they got a new 1 rep max purely because of creatine.

it just doesnt work like that.

So many variables come into play, especially considering most who lift here are beginners and intermediates with lots to learn.

It improves recovery slightly, that's about it.

Getting extra sleep, improving hydration, improving overall nutrition, improving technique will do more for a lifter than a few grams of creatine each day.

Its cheap and harmless so give it a shot but you wont find any trustworthy sources that say I put xx% extra on my bench since using creatine.

water weight has no advantage apart from making your muscles look slightly fuller.

Yes Steve, I'm sure Ronnie Coleman attributes all his gains to Creatine  :huh:  

If Ronnie wrote that...it must be true.  haha

It's good to be cynical of supplements but creatine is not in that category.

You are not going to find someone here state it increased a lift a certain percentage.  First person who does is full of shit.

Lastly, some people stronger than you replied already and believe it works for them.  If you are looking for more proof than that, this thread is not going to provide that.

I think I might do slightly better on creatine, as in getting an extra rep rather than lifting more weight.

I have no proof on this but as long as it makes me believe its doing some good (and is as cheap as chips) I will keep on taking it.

I have heard a couple of people (not lifters) say 'I bet he's on creatine' when they see someone muscular as if it was some sort of wonder/short cut to massive gains. The misconception is out there.

Thanks for the advice and information guys.