Sign in to follow this  
Ivanhoe

Creatine Supplements

Can anyone provide actual 1RM percentage increases or other training benefits that they attribute to personally taking Creatine?  

Not really, just improved recovery in between sets.

Saying that, I haven't used any for a while now and dont feel I particularly miss it.

• Upvote 1

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

tl;dr

Creatine is one the most studied supplements out there. It is safe and effective. There is good scientific consensus that it increases power output, fatigue resistance, and lean mass (likely through increased power output and fatigue resistance).

Taking ~5g a day is a good spot.

To answer your actual question: "Creatine is the reference compound for power improvement, with numbers from one meta-analysis to assess potency being "Able to increase a 12% improvement in strength to 20% and able to increase a 12% increase in power to 26% following a training regiment using creatine monohydrate".

i'm 51 and 90% vegetarian - occasional piece of fish - and haven't eaten red meat or poultry in like 25 years.  I started strength training almost 2 years ago.  I started taking creatine about 10 months ago and the difference in how I feel during workouts, and my ability to recover - and just feel 'normal' after a session - has been unbelievable. A few more reps, definitely, able to tolerate heavier workouts, definitely.  But mostly just being able to recover quickly and not feel depleted after heavy sessions.  My body just feels like it has a cushion that allows me to lift more comfortably.

I've read on other threads in this group that guys who eat a lot of red meat don't notice as much difference when they take creatine.  That's actually why I decided to try it - like maybe it would give me something that i was missing out on by not eating meat.  That proved to be completely accurate. I can't overstate how helpful it's been for me.  Game-changing isn't too strong a term.

• Upvote 1

David's right,I've tried it twice and made no different beyond making me feel really sick, but I eat a reasonable amount of red meat. Give it a whirl and see how it works for you, we are all different :D

• Upvote 1

Not sure if it's placebo or not but there are some info being shown that a higher dosage on Creatine maybe better.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1030/Top_Ten_Supplements_For_Building_Muscle.aspx

Creatine also boosts strength development, enhances sprint and power performance, and leads to fat loss. A recent analysis suggested that the long relied on loading dose of 20 grams of creatine for a week is subpar. Optimal creatine stores can be achieved by taking 0.15 grams of creatine per pound of body weight. Then, a maintenance dose of 5 grams of creatine a day can be used, however, you may want to “load” more frequently than once every 4 weeks, especially if your training intensity and volume is high.

I am doing Carb Back-loading now and he actually suggests a DAILY dose of 0.15 g/lb body weight!

Currently dosing like that now and always training under a fast.

Awaiting on CBL 2.0 for any changes.

Also, I take a few other supplements that may also help my power output.

One of them that I belive works well is Beta Alanine (Daily Dosing) and Citulline Malate (Pre/Intra).

A lot of depends on what type of Creatine product you are using. In high school and college I used just normal Creatine and it helped with recovery. I have used Muscle Tech Creatine and my gains exploded through the roof. The only downside I found using Muscle Tech Creatine was it brought on a lot of aggression and made me extremely mean. I also gained a good 20 lbs of water weight while using this product. I am naturally a bigger guy. 6' 230-240 pounds with 18 inch arms, 31 inch quads and 34 inch waist. Now that I am 33 years old I have been just using protein as a post work out agent. Creatine is a great product for smaller guys, ectomorphs, and extremely hard gainers. It can help push you through some tough sticking spots. If you have more of an endomorph-mesomorph physique I would suggest staying away from it. The water retention from creatine is extremely high. I would suggest lifting heavy weights and sticking with compound movements if you wish to gain size and strength . For size I would use some hypertrophy specific workouts and for strength I would stick with the basic five by five movements such as bench press, squat, dead lifts, bent over rows, standing military press and cleans. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. Supplements are mainly a crock and are pushed by the companies who produce them. Some are really good quality supplements and others are just crap. Really do your research and look into what you are putting in your body. Stay away from the hype and bro science of lifting. You will progress much faster.

I wonder if the aggression came from the taurine/alanine (also found in energy drinks) supplementation in the Muscle Tech creatine product.

Taurine is actually supposed to calm you down. I'm not sure about alanine.

Thanks for the posts as I'm interested in seeing any actual strength gains, energy increase, or recovery benefits that you guys made to avoid the supplement hype. I definitely don't want to get heavier with water retention or increase my aggression levels.

Nick, I'm short and weigh about 220lb/100kg so gaining weight isn't a problem for me. I'm just easing back in before getting back to my 5/3/1 levels. 

I started with creatine a while ago to help me withstand the pretty heavy weekly volume (10 tons+, 3-4x/week) I ran. Just the regular 5g/day protocol and it felt like I could handle my workload better. No idea about strength, as that isn´t really my focus right now...but I felt more explosive. No aggression increase, which I think is caused by other stuff anyways. Same goes for weight. My weight shot up recently, but that was due to my shitty diet.

I am taking a break from it right now, due to my club being shut down for a while. Since I train in some other place and can´t/won´t really do any super heavy work, I feel like I don´t need it. Once seaon starts again, I´ll be back on it :)

Personally, I used it while dieting earlier this year.  No increase in aggression, and no real decrease in what I could do in the gym while taking the creatine.  I'm not currently supplementing right now, but I may get some for this final stretch of volume training.

A lot of depends on what type of Creatine product you are using. In high school and college I used just normal Creatine and it helped with recovery. I have used Muscle Tech Creatine and my gains exploded through the roof. The only downside I found using Muscle Tech Creatine was it brought on a lot of aggression and made me extremely mean. I also gained a good 20 lbs of water weight while using this product. I am naturally a bigger guy. 6' 230-240 pounds with 18 inch arms, 31 inch quads and 34 inch waist. Now that I am 33 years old I have been just using protein as a post work out agent. Creatine is a great product for smaller guys, ectomorphs, and extremely hard gainers. It can help push you through some tough sticking spots. If you have more of an endomorph-mesomorph physique I would suggest staying away from it. The water retention from creatine is extremely high. I would suggest lifting heavy weights and sticking with compound movements if you wish to gain size and strength . For size I would use some hypertrophy specific workouts and for strength I would stick with the basic five by five movements such as bench press, squat, dead lifts, bent over rows, standing military press and cleans. If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. Supplements are mainly a crock and are pushed by the companies who produce them. Some are really good quality supplements and others are just crap. Really do your research and look into what you are putting in your body. Stay away from the hype and bro science of lifting. You will progress much faster.

To be totally honest, I'm finding it hard to believe how Creatine could possibly increase aggression, make you mean or put on 20lb of water weight.

• Upvote 2

To be totally honest, I'm finding it hard to believe how Creatine could possibly increase aggression, make you mean or put on 20lb of water weight.

9r21hf.jpg

• Upvote 1

HA HA HA HA! Love it!

Lol, very good.

I find creatine helps (slightly) pushing out the last rep or two.

However I am still meek and mild and haven't noticed much in the way of water retention.

Regarding water retention, I immediately put on 5-8 pounds after I started taking it - by immediately, I mean within five days or so. I know it was the creatine because I was eating the same things every day, the creatine was the only change.

Between April 1 and July 15 or so I cut from 192 lbs to 175lbs. I kept taking the creatine the whole time. I'm sure if I stopped today I would lose that 5 pounds or so of water weight within a week or so.

Regarding the aggression, I have noticed a bit more in myself over the past few weeks, but that has been due more to stress and perhaps the cut than anything else. I never noticed that before, and as I mentioned earlier, I have been doing creatine since September 2012.

Guest Robernaut

You haven't been injecting it directly into your testicles then, or combing it with protein powder.

Combing supplements for the well groomed lifter....

Guest Robernaut

Combing supplements for the well groomed lifter....

Creatinine affects spellign and grammar to. 

I don't see that either.  But there was a recent study that showed it helped with depression.  

In all likelihood there is something else in the mixture from Muscle Tech's creatine blend (because it isn't just Creatine Monohydrate) that's causing the aggression.  It could very well be something not listed in the ingredients since the supplement industry is not regulated like proper food and drug products are.  There are some unscrupulous supplement companies out there.

^this.  I recently started creatine to see if it helps.  I deliberately chose one with an ingredient list of 100% creatine monohydrate and nothing else.

I literally just started Monday of last week, so it's a bit early to tell if it will help.  No weight gain yet.  No strength gains either.

You can be a non responder to creatine. But even if you do respond it takes a few weeks to kick in, backyard your muscle must become saturated first. You can speed that up by taking 20g a day in the first few days or week.

I hate responding on my phone. Backyard is meant to be because.