Sign in to follow this  
200smk

Advice On Sl 5X5 To 3X5

Hey Guys....  would like to have some advice on where I'm at with SL5x5 and if you think I should move to a 3x5.  All my lifts are still at the 5x5, and all but Deadlift have had 2 deloads. (1 for deadlift).  

Current Stats - 187lbs, been on SL5x5  for 18 weeks.....everything started with empty bar.

Squat currently doing 225lbs 5x5.....but its kicking the crap out of me, feel spent after squats.

Bench currently at 150lbs 5x5......been working some extra sets on dealifts days just to try and improve....it has helped.

Barbell Rows currrently at 155lbs 5x5.....these sets are getting tough, formseems to deteriorate at this weight.

Overhead Press currently at 95lbs 5x5.....OHP is my nemesis....have deloaded 3 times.

Deadlift currently at 275lbs 1x5.....this feels like my max right now....may deload soon.

Thinking of moving all my lifts to a 3x5 (except Deadlift) as I feel that they are all near my max, workouts are getting too long with 2-3 min rests and they are really draining me by the time the last excercise comes.....don't want form to deteriorate from exhaustion.   I don't think my eating is an issue, I am getting the calories I need....sleep has been good.

Thanks for any advice!!

Yes, switch to Starting Strength and make sure your form is as good as it can be (because I can assure you, it's not great after 18 weeks of training, even if you don't know it yet ;)).

Good luck.

Yep, just switch, you don't have to wait for fails and deloads if your body is telling you otherwise.  I did for the very same reasons - workouts taking too long and feeling completely exhausted.

Also, don't rule out throwing in the odd light session too, dropping the workout weight by 10-20% of your current training max.  Or even staying put at the same weight for a little while and perhaps just increasing reps.  The first allows for active recovery and imo the second allows for other parts of your body to catch up.

Another option is to switch to an intermediate program, which will cycle the intensity.  I learnt last year that pushing LP as hard and fast as you can gets very tough after a while.  Or maybe it's just because I'm old(er) :).

Yep, just switch, you don't have to wait for fails and deloads if your body is telling you otherwise. I did for the very same reasons - workouts taking too long and feeling completely exhausted.

Also, don't rule out throwing in the odd light session too, dropping the workout weight by 10-20% of your current training max. Or even staying put at the same weight for a little while and perhaps just increasing reps. The first allows for active recovery and imo the second allows for other parts of your body to catch up.

Another option is to switch to an intermediate program, which will cycle the intensity. I learnt last year that pushing LP as hard and fast as you can gets very tough after a while. Or maybe it's just because I'm old(er) :).

Sorry for empty reply there.....

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try keeping my current weight. Switch to 3x5 and see how it goes.

Switching to 3x5 will make a huge difference, especially on squats.  You could probably switch squats to 3x5 and leave bench, rows, and OHP at 5x5 for a bit longer.

Just an update for you guys.....the switch to 3x5 is great!!    All my lifts went up each workout this week.....and didn't burn me out!   Deadlifted 1x3 @ 295 with relative ease last night and it felt great.....put on another 10 lbs and did it once.....just to say I broke the 300lb mark!

Thanks for all the advice......very happy with the switch.

What's going on man?

I know I am replying to this a little late, but hear me out. I have been lifting weights for the past 14 years. I'm 6ft and I weigh 245lbs. I'm 33 years old. Whatever you do or whatever others have told you do not give up!!!!!! I will say that one more time, DO NOT GIVE UP! Overhead press is always the first lift that you will begin stalling on. Bench Press and Bent Over Rows will follow suit. Squats are a interesting exercise. A lot of it has to do with how deep you are going and your technique. Do not lean forward, keep your back straight, look ahead, and bring your hips about an inch or so below your knees. You don't have to go ass to grass, but go pretty deep. Good form is more important then weight. Work on solid technique. Squat is the most important exercise. If you are struggling at 225lbs after 18 weeks it is a good thing. Don't expect to be pushing 300lbs in 18 weeks. Follow through with every workout and hit it hard. Squat, squat, squat, squat, and squat some more. Always squat first. Once you hit about 250-260lbs then I would look at moving towards a Madcow type workout. If you aren't familiar with Madcow workouts look them up online. There are plenty of calculators out there to help you figure your weights out when you are ready. A good bench weight right now would be around 125-135 lbs for you after 18 weeks if you started with just the bar. 225lbs sounds about right for squats, your overhead press numbers look good along with all your other lifts. You are right on target honestly. I remember the first time I ever pulled 260lbs on a deadlift and I felt dizzy and thought I was going to die. I pull 565lbs now. Don't pay attention to anyone that tells you your numbers are weak. They are not. They are perfect and online. I would start a 3x5 workout once you hit the 250lb squat for five reps . Once that happens drop the weight back 10% and start over for 3x5. This isn't a race. When you see Flex Magazine or other muscle mags and you see some bozo that can bench 405 lbs I am hear to tell you, he is on steroids. Unless you are 6ft and 345-350lbs and have been lifting for 10 plus years will you be able to hit those numbers on a bench without steroids. Some people are just freaks and can do it naturally. Not many. Take your time and have fun with this. Keep this in mind, there are morons out that claim to squat 405 lbs over the internet, and they can only hit 135lbs. People talk a lot of trash and always make themselves sound better then what they are. You are being honest and I can tell. Because you're numbers are right on line where people will typically begin to run into stalls. Be proud of what you have hit. When you stall get excited, because it tells you that you have reached a new line of strength and you just have to bust through it. BE PROUD OF YOUR NUMBERS! Do not get discouraged. Keep up the good work. Any questions hit me up.