Sign in to follow this  
b987

Diet Plan Advice Needed

Hi,

Just needed some advice on the diet plan below. Currently I'm trying to lose body fat, since early this year I've gone from 95kg down to 89.6 as of this Sunday just gone. however my diet is all over the place, so want to get it in gear.

Training wise, I'm following Stronglifts (training log below). I walk 40 minutes a day at a good pace, but not much else, maybe a day of cricket on saturday (i'm a wicketkeeper so this involves squatting 300 times with all the gear on and diving about). Will probably try to add in a session or two of HIIT somewhere.

The Diet Plan: (I'm a vegetarian who doesn't eat eggs)

So I was Playing around with trying to get the right amount of protein and around 1500cals, I came up with the following diet plan:

Breakfast

Protein Shake, 116Kcals, carb 3, Fat 2, Protien 22

Quaker Oats 40g, 150Kcals, carb 24, Fat 3, Protein 4

Semi Skimmed Milk 300ml, 135kcal, 14 carbs, Fat 5, Protein 10

TOTAL, Kcal = 401, Carbs = 41, Fat 10, Protein 36

Snack 1

Low fat cottage cheese 100g, 73kcals, Carbs 4, Fat 2, Protein 11g

Lunch

Fat free Greek Yoghurt (cows milk) 160g, 88kcal, Carbs 8, Fat 0, Protein 12

Rasberries 75g, 20 Kcal, Carbs 3, Fat 0, Protein 1

Red Grapes 100g, Kcal 70, Carbs 15, Fat 0, Protein 0

Wholemeal Bread 2 slices - Kcal 224, Carbs 41, Fat 2, Protein 9

Crunchy Peanut Butter, 2 tbs - Kcal 190, Carb 5, Fat 15, Protein 7

TOTAL Kcal 592, Carb 72, Fat 17, Protein 29

Snack 2

Dinner

Mixed vegetables 200g, Kcal 95, Carb 14, Fat 2, Protein 6

Low fat cottage cheese 100g, 73kcals, Carbs 4, Fat 2, Protein 11g

TOTAL  Kcal 168, Carb 18, Fat 4, Protein 17

Snack 3

Crunchy Peanut Butter, 1 tbs - Kcal 95, Carb 3, Fat 8, Protein 4

DAY TOTAL

KCAL = 1561

Carbs = 143

Fat = 45

Protein = 141

Any thoughts? This is a hell of a lotta food for me, so will be a damn struggle to do it! Can't believe all of that is only 1560 kcals.

Please let me know what you guys think and if I should amend anywhere.

Much appreciated, thanks!

If you dont mind adding some healthy fats, you can cook everything that needs cooking in olive oil. You can also get some coconut oil, another healthy fat, to add to your shakes. These can quickly add solid calories without really making it seem like you are eating more.

Thanks budd, when I'm bulking I'll definitely do that - but is that so advisable when I'm trying to ditch bodyfat?

Total Kcal is 1561, of which:

Carbs: 572 cal = 37%

Protien: 563 cal = 37%

Fat:405 cal = 26%

Is that about right? Or are carbs too high?

Also, should I count carbs from vegetables in the same way I count carbs from other sources (i.e. bread)?

Cheers

With that current diet are you losing weight?

I wouldnt worry much about the percentages.

Your carbs are fine. And yes count the carbs from veges. They are still carbs.

Congratulations on your progress with your current diet!  It looks like you've got things locked down nicely.  Losing 5-6kg is a good start.

Also, should I count carbs from vegetables in the same way I count carbs from other sources (i.e. bread)?

I'm no dietician, but I recently ran the carb back loading diet which delves into carbs more than I can explain.  The bottom line is that carbs are your enemy when engaged in a battle for fat loss.

According to the research this diet is based upon, there are differences in carbs based on the human body's endocrine response to different types of carb sources.  Insulin is the prime culprit in the endocrine system that will cause fat gain.

Therefore, you pose a more complicated question than it appears at first blush.  Especially, since you are a vegetarian.

The author of this diet states:

These burnable, fat-inducing carbs include sugar, starch, glycerine and
sugar alcohols—also called polyol—and make up what I term usable
carbs.
Fiber, however, doesn’t do any of these things and often does the
opposite. The only way for the body to get energy from fiber is
through fermentation in the colon.

So, carbs derived from fiber are not likely to cause an insulin spike, and thus cause the conversion of any excess calories you consume into fat.

But, after splitting the hair this way, Frozen may not be wrong when putting your diet into actual practice!

If you "count the carbs" from fiberous food/vegetables (even when they have a lesser effect on fat accumulation) then you will consume less carbs overall.  That is means to your goal of fat loss.  So, count them.

My advice is to eat more of your allotted carbs from fiber foods (vegetables) and less from bread, rice, etc. (Even better, ban bread and you'll advance your fat loss cause substantially.)  You will feel fuller (more satiated) after eating fiber foods, and the carbs from fiber foods are less useful to the body to convert into fat.

Good luck on your fat loss quest. 

Do you have a goal body weight?

P.S. I agree completely with Frozen about substituting Olive Oil to cook, and using coconut oil (as in shakes) as a substitute for other calories.  Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides (MCT) which is a good source of energy that is not derived from carbs (and won't cause an insulin spike that'll create fat accumulation).  So, use MCT instead of carbs as an energy source; not in addition to your carbs!

One note about fiber content: there is such a thing as too much and too little.  If you aim for your body weight / 5 you'll have a good target number.  Too much fiber and it leaches away nutrients from your colon before you can absorb them.  Too little and you can have too much buildup (plaque and crap) in your colon.

For most of us heavy meat eaters, the too little fiber content is a problem; but for vegetarians too much is a distinct possibility.

That's an interesting point, Ferrous! I'm a meat eater, and never considered it'd be possible to have too much fiber....

Thanks Berin/Jeff, really appreciate your advice.

Yea my target weight currently is 85kg, aiming to hit that by end of august. Would be absolutely chuffed if i get there.

I'm kind of stuck around 90kg atm, granted I haven't been as strict with my diet, slighlty more busy at work as well which doesn't help. But 5 kg in about 10 weeks should be doable, around 1lb a week.

Will definitely add more veggies into my diet.

Berin, is there an 'ideal' amount of fiber we should be aiming for? I know it is very much subjective, but any rough guidelines i can follow?

Rough guideline is 14g per 1000 Calories: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/fiber-how-much-do-you-need

Also

To avoid bloating, gas, and digestive issues, increase fiber in your diet gradually and drink plenty of water, since fiber absorbs water.

A good rule of thumb is to increase the amount of fiber in your diet by about 5 grams a day until you reach your goal and spread dietary fiber throughout the day.

As to too much fiber: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=66

(there's other sources that talk about symptoms, most of which are bloating, gastro-intestinal distresses, and malabsorption).

That's an interesting point, Ferrous! I'm a meat eater, and never considered it'd be possible to have too much fiber....

For you, it's more likely you don't get enough fiber (as it is in my case).  However, vegetarians eat a lot more fiber sources than carnivores on average.  It's more possible in that case.

There is nothing wrong with not eating meat, but it does somewhat limit you on your diet. Even if you went to just eating chicken breasts that would help you a lot.  A 5 ounce chicken breast is only about 110 Calories, with quite a high amount of protein and no fat. If you are interested in more information feel free to hit me up my friend.

Best Regards,

Nick