Sign in to follow this  
Raincoat

Modified Sheiko Review

This is my review of a modified multi-cycle run of Sheiko.

For those that aren't familiar with Sheiko, it is a volume heavy program that runs with most sessions where you hit one lift twice (usually deadlift or squat) and then one lift once (the press) per session and is 3 times a week. This means including warmups I did over 1600 reps of squats, over 2200 reps of overhead press, around 500 reps of deadlifts and 400 of bench press for a little over 420 tons of combined volume between these 4 lifts which accounts for close to half the total volume of the program.

Having fallen into a somewhat of a rut with programs and needing something that was fairly low intensity but could help me kill immense amounts of time in the gym Sheiko is what came through for me.

Bodyweight went from 123.9kg to 125.7kg with the following improvements to my lifts:

• Squat - 225kg to
    (+20kg)
  • Bench press - 150kg to
    (+10kg)
  • Deadlift - 255kg to
    (+20kg)
  • Overhead press - 107.5kg to 115kg (+7.5kg)
  • Front squat - 160kg to 190kg (+30kg)

With both the Overhead press and Front squat being tested about a week after the big 3 and at a BW of 124.5kg

I ran the following cycles #29 - #37 - #32 which are best described as introductory - volume- peaking. But also since I can't run anything without tinkering with it I made the following substitutions and changes:

• Bench was exchanged for Overhead Press
  • Dumbbell fly's were exchanged with Lying Triceps Extensions
  • Dips & Overhead Press were exchanged for Bench
  • Lunges were exchanged for Bulgarian Split squats
  • Powercleans using a modified 5/3/1 scheme as Deadlift warmup.
  • Superset every set of presses with 10 reps of band pullaparts

I was also advised to add back work which I did as it has a appalling lack of it compared to pressing. As the bulk of my pressing was vertical I also made the bulk of my back work vertical and used the following scheme for 3-5x10:

• Monday - Underhand lat pulldowns 
  • Wednesday - Chest supported rows
  • Friday - Lat pulldowns

For most of the cycle the Bench press got treated as assistance when It came up but I focused on hitting it fairly hard each time when it came around leaving me with a few rep PR's in the progress.

As for the rows and LTE's I focused on weights which were heavy but allowed me to hit all reps with decent form.

The main drawback of Sheiko I've found is that it's very intense on the low back leaving me often with a nasty low back pump and a need for excessively long sessions initially as the first sessions took just over 3 hours but it got worked down to meager 2 hour sessions as my work capacity rose and I adapted to the constant pump.

After running #29 I had to take ~10 days off as I was travelling leaving me feeling fresh when I got back into the gym and got rid of a good deal of aches that had accumulated due to being lazy with the prehab & mobility work. Then due to school obligations I stretched #37 over 5 weeks leaving me with a smaller peak than expected as my accumulation had been too restful.

My advice for anyone that intends to run this is the following:

• Don't skimp on your foamrolling and mobility work, I did and paid for it in achy joints and constant low back pum after the first few weeks.
  • Program some heavy upper and mid back work to offset the pressing and make sure it's not your weak link
  • Program your maxes about 5% higher than your actual maxes if you aren't totalling elite or close to it
  • Deload properly before starting the program it self and don't go into it with any aches or niggles as they will only amplify
  • Eat a lot of good food and sleep as much as you can.

Resources

http://bmfsports.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sheiko This was one of my biggest sources when getting started

http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/ A lot of good templates there

http://medlem.spray.se/damienthorne/Sheiko.htm Even more templates

In conclusion, If you have plenty of time, enjoy high volume but low reps (never above 5 reps unless it's assistance) and want some very good gains then go for it but be warned, it's tough.

Nice review. I was thinking of running it sometime in the future however the 3 hours sessions are putting me off

If you have decent enough conditioning and work capacity going into it they shouldn't take that long

Excellent review bigman and looks like a great program!

Thanks for the write-up. I am probably going to be doing Sheiko in the future.

NIce review. I ran 37 twice in a row with added maxes and it ended pretty badly. I guess I should've ran a peaking program. In the future I'll probably run 29-37-32 as you have. 

Excellent review, Bjarni. Would you consider running these programs again?

Excellent review, Bjarni. Would you consider running these programs again?

I'll be running them again come October and then at fairly consistently after that