Sign in to follow this  
bigbear36

Elbow Pain When Squatting.

Anyone else suffer with Elbow pain around the joint area when you started out doing squats? Only lasts a couple of days, starts as soon as I get under the bar and push my shoulders back. Any tips or exercises to alleviate it?

I had elbow pain when squatting, in my case it was caused by having the bar too low my back.

Also having too narrow a grip on the bar can cause problem, I have to have quite a wide grip due to shoulder mobility issues.

There should be virtually no weight on the arms when squatting. 

I had really bad elbow pain for months from squatting. The way I fixed it was to stop trying to keep my wrists straight instead let them bend back. That's one of the pieces of advice in Starting Strength I really disagree with, at least for people with long forearms.

Squat like this dude:

POWERLIF11_CROP-1_DD177722_213633.JPG

• Upvote 1

I have been trying to keep wrists straight and a narrow grip which I do find I'm fighting to maintain so it could well be that. Tx for the info.

I also use a bit wider grip with bent wrists. I find it more comfortable and wrist or elbow discomfort is not a nagging concern while squating.

The tighter your hands are toward your body, the more force goes down your elbows, and the more unstable the bar so you tend to compensate more.  Just getting the hands wider takes care of almost all the elbow pain.  I also find that it is easier to get my upper back tight when my arms aren't so close together.

I faced elbow pain in my left arm a couple of months into Squatting. for me, it was a combination of bar too low on the back and bent wrists. I personally benefited from straight wrists and yes, wider grip helped to alleviate the pain. It meant less tightness in upper back but that was still okay. 

Try a few things - it seems some tips work for some of us, and different tips for others. My own cure: ultra narrow grip, bent wrists, elbows right under the bar.

You also need to keep a really tight upper back. 

I know other people who have such a wide grip they nearly touch the plates, and people with every conceivable iteration in between. Find the one that works for you. 

Wide grip and bent wrists for me, spot on, no more pain and total control over the bar.