Sign in to follow this  
RonB

3 Inch Vs 4 Inch Belt

I feel like I'm ready for a belt. I'm currently using the 'community' belt at the gym right now, but the thing is barely thicker than the belt I use to hold up my pants.  It's a 4 inch belt and digs into my thighs and ribs when I'm in the bottom of my squat.  Would there be any disadvantage to getting a 3" belt instead of a 4"? Best Belts has one and I've heard a lot of good things about their belts, but I thought I'd ask here for opinions and/or advice.

I'm about the same height as you, and I ordered the 4" belt from Best Belts.  I haven't had any issues with it digging in to ribs and the like, but I also have a bit more padding than you.  Maybe try wearing it in a slightly different place?  

Given your height, and the fact that those belts are quite thick, you may opt for the 3" belt--particularly if a 4" belt is digging in your sides.

The same thing happens to me. The leaner I am the worse it is. When I was a bit more cushioned at 180 lbs. it was far more comfortable. I too have considered a 3 inch belt, but I plan to go belt free instead; Paul Carter has inspired me to do that.

I'm 5'11 and kind of wish I'd gotten a 3" instead of a 4. I forgot about your height when i commented in your log. I'd definitely go for the 3.

People that are 5'10"+ considering a 3" belt? Man the hell up, jeez. Once the belt breaks in you won't have any of the pinching/bruising issues.

I'm seriously considering a 3" belt as my 4" belt occasionally hinders me a little.  Has anybody found them available from anyone other than Best Belts or Bob's belts?  I'm in the UK and Best Belts don't ship internationally, not sure about Bob's belts?

I'm seriously considering a 3" belt as my 4" belt occasionally hinders me a little. Has anybody found them available from anyone other than Best Belts or Bob's belts? I'm in the UK and Best Belts don't ship internationally, not sure about Bob's belts?

Best do ship intl, or at least they did last year. Just email or phone them.

Ah, that's handy!  Cheers

Yep, their customer service is top notch, I'm sure they'll do what they can to help you out :)

Has anybody successfully managed to buy a belt from Best Belts?  I ask as I'm having some difficulty!

• Firstly their website says they don't ship outside US & Canada, but they will do this.
  • Then they don't just take regular credit card payments.
  • Then they can't seem to process Paypal outside the US so direct me to Western Union.
  • When I phone Western Union they don't recognise the details I've been given.
  • I'm now waiting to see what they suggest next!

Has anyone else had similar problems, and if so how were they resolved eventually?

Cheers

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I ordered from Canada, delivering to a US address, so I didn't have to go through any of that. Good luck though!

I had this problem when I first got my belt (4 inch), but it went away once i wore it in.

Has anybody successfully managed to buy a belt from Best Belts?  I ask as I'm having some difficulty!

• Firstly their website says they don't ship outside US & Canada, but they will do this.
  • Then they don't just take regular credit card payments.
  • Then they can't seem to process Paypal outside the US so direct me to Western Union.
  • When I phone Western Union they don't recognise the details I've been given.
  • I'm now waiting to see what they suggest next!

Has anyone else had similar problems, and if so how were they resolved eventually?

Cheers

Well, in the end Best Belts were useless so I ordered from Bob's Belts.  I won't bore you with the details, but it took nearly 6 months from ordering to my receiving it finally on Thursday.

The belt itself is beautifully made, though I must admit I'm sceptical about the differences between one belt and another.  Whilst it appears better finished than the bog standard 4" belt I bought for £30 from Ebay, TBH that belt has performed brilliantly.  In the end with postage from the USA and a £25 customs charge it cost me about £150!  Absolutely ridiculous really but there seems to only be 2 places (both in the USA) which produce these so I just had to bite the bullet.

First workout on Thursday, my initial thoughts are that squats & deadlifts felt better with my back being less impeded, whereas overhead presses benefitted from the extra support offered by the 4" belt.  Will continue to evaluate over the next few workouts!

Think my belt is 4'' and im pretty skinny.. all that happens is that you get a few bruises and it hurts a bit, nothing to worry about

I have a 3" belt from Bobs Belts. Had a few years now, and it is great. The 4" I had used would sit on my hip bone and ribs, so I went for the 3" and was glad I did. I don't really use it often anymore however, I generally stick to a nylon belt for squats and cleans and I never could use one for deadlifts. The 3" left just as many bruises as the 4" belt did. But did it's job better for me.