Sign in to follow this  
michail

Short Psmf While On Wendler?

I'm currently running Wendler 5/3/1 with boring but big and  I'd like to experiment with a short 2 week psmf cut.  What I'm wondering is what to do with my lifting program.

Should I just stick to the normal cycle, drop BBB and just do the diet in weeks 2 and 3 or perhaps do some modified heavy sets after completing a cycle? I'm open for any suggestions.

If I were you, I'do "Not doing jack shit" (i.e. main lifts only) paired in two (bench + squat and press + deadlift) and train every two days. I wouldn't AMRAP either, but use either real/estimated 1RM that cycle, instead of 90% training max.

Keep the frequency low, the intensity high, and the volume low. You'll be low calorie and carb. You want to send the message to your body that you need all this muscle so hold on to it. Because one logical reaction of the body to famine is reduce the metabolically demanding and unnecessary for survival tissue (muscle that you aren't using). Not only do you decrease your caloric needs by doing this, you get calories and valuable amino acids from the tissue as well. Since you're not actually in a famine you want to prevent this at all costs. You do it by making the muscle necessary. You do that by using it.

The thing that requires the most muscle and least amount of glycogen is high intensity low rep lifting.Others are far more experienced than I at this but I would probably do sets of 1 to 3 reps. Maybe shoot for 10 to 15 total reps per lift. Do two lifts a day, and do it twice a week. e.g. Squat and Bench on Tuesday, Deadlift and OHP on Friday. The intensity would depend on how many reps you are choosing for your sets but try to keep it as high as possible. This might be something you'll have to feel out as you go. It's only two weeks so don't stress out too much about it. You're not going to ruin anything in two weeks.

Have you read the Rapid Fat Loss Diet by Lyle McDonald? That might be worth your time.

Regarding doing 5/3/1. That's a 3 to 4 day a week program and a lot of the progression there relies on higher rep and lower intensity efforts, as well as assistance work. I personally wouldn't just run it without the BBB. Your intensity might not be high enough (it depends what cycle you're on) and in any case it's still laid out as a 3 to 4 day group to get through all the lifts, which is too much imo. I wouldn't over-think it though. Just keep it simple because it's only two weeks. What I list above is pretty basic and should work assuming you have some knowledge of how to select an appropriate weight for each lift.

edit: KaKTy's advice is good if you want to keep it 5/3/1 style.

Thanks guys, that's some good info to think about!

I'm not going to worry too much about it as it's such a short time period. As long as I get some heavy lifting in it should be good. I just want to put a little fat gain in check and continue on with a slow bulking process.

I did a longer PSMF run back last year and had great results. Though I think I did it for too long (and after what seemed like an eternally slow cut), which is why I want to experiment with a 2 week run. The last time I started to "tank" in weeks 3 to 4.

I should probably read Lyle's book as I've put bits and pieces of his theories together to build the approaches I've used.

If I were you, I'do "Not doing jack shit" (i.e. main lifts only) paired in two (bench + squat and press + deadlift) and train every two days. I wouldn't AMRAP either, but use either real/estimated 1RM that cycle, instead of 90% training max.

That sounds like a good approach. 

Here is my plan for the two week run.  I think I'll start this Sunday.

I'm going to end my 3rd week of the current cycle and take a measure of my 1RM from my AMRAP (currently doing 90%1RM).  From there I will take that 1RM and do the following sets.

40% 1x5

50% 1x5

60% 1x5

75% 1x5

85% 1x3

95% 1x1

I will group the two main lifts into A/B sessions, eliminate accessory and alternate every two days.  I may also throw in the conditioning work I typically do as an A/B/C alternating cycle.

Depending on how I feel at the end I'll either take the current cycle's deload or continue on with the next cycle.

How does this sound?

I started the above plan this past Saturday.  

I didn't realize it until I was done with my first workout but all my lifts are personal bests (I'm really liking Wendler).  If anything it felt a little too easy but that was my first day in a deficit.  Perhaps I should go for two reps at 95%?

Go for As Many Reps As Possible (AMRAP), with one left in the tank.  That's the way the program is written.

If you are focusing on fat loss, do the bare minimum and emphasize the conditioning.  The bare minimum is what's necessary to preserve lean mass.  The conditioning helps get rid of fat a little quicker--in my experience any way.

Go for As Many Reps As Possible (AMRAP), with one left in the tank.  That's the way the program is written.

If you are focusing on fat loss, do the bare minimum and emphasize the conditioning.  The bare minimum is what's necessary to preserve lean mass.  The conditioning helps get rid of fat a little quicker--in my experience any way.

Since I'm hitting true 95%, of my AMRAP estimated 1RM, I think it's about where I am. :)  I'm doing record lifts for me on all the compounds.  I came close to a blackout on my last deadlift today.  It's only 14 days total so hopefully I won't lose any strength.

You shouldn't.  You might lose the ability to demonstrate it.  But once you start eating for strength again, it will come back.

I ended the psmf diet today and started a 2 day refeed.  Since I ended on an odd day I did squats, bench, OHP and DL in one session (skipped warmup sets for OHP and DLs).  It seems like there was no strength loss, or at least that I could perceive and I lost about 6-7 lbs.  

I think I'll do two or three more mesocycles and do another psmf cycle.  It seems to be a nice way to recomp while staying focused on long term gains.  Going back to the normal mesocyle is going to feel light.

I just made an interesting observation.  I've run through my fist week post diet and based off of my AMRAP sets it appears I've gained a little strength overall.  I wonder if it could be from the two weeks of working the heavier sets in the cut?

Results wise I'm about 3 lbs down in fat which is less than I would have hoped for.  But it seems I made a strength gain and dropped a little fat in the process.  

I'm in sort of a similar boat. I've been doing a moderate cut lately (dropped ~ 10-12 lbs in the last 3 months), but I'm starting to feel it big time. I switched back to 5/3/1 from the AFP a few weeks ago, but those x5 days are killer right now. Plus I've been sleeping like crap and definitely not enough.

I've been contemplating going to a x5, x3, x1 approach every week. How did you feel it worked for you? Any assistance exercises or just the main lifts and go home?

My scheduled has, literally, been killing me this summer: play softball monday nights, umpire softball 2-3 nights Tues-Thurs, up north/out of town most weekends, play baseball on Sundays. I think I'm averaging maybe 4.5-5.5 hours of sleep per night over the last couple months. :( Everything hurts, it's not something I would recommend.