Sign in to follow this  
foomag

Starting Gomad I Need Tips And Help

Hi I am 18 years old and i am 5'6 but i only weigh in about 108-110 and that is REALLY SKINNY TRUST ME! so i have read about the GOMAD diet but i just want to be more informed and was hoping for extra tips for gaining some weight. Don't worry i have some resistence bands and the iron gym to go along with the diet so i don't end up having a belly!

At your bodyweight you shouldn't need full GOMAD to gain weight, I'd suggest starting at 1/4 or 1/2 GOMAD and finding a point where you can gain a lb every week. I did GOMAD for six months while on Stronglifts a long time ago, good luck! :)

Hi I am 18 years old and i am 5'6 but i only weigh in about 108-110 and that is REALLY SKINNY TRUST ME! so i have read about the GOMAD diet but i just want to be more informed and was hoping for extra tips for gaining some weight. Don't worry i have some resistence bands and the iron gym to go along with the diet so i don't end up having a belly!

Just eat more than you are doing right now and do some proper lifting. If you find that you do not gain any weight, then increase food intake again and repeat that cycle until you gain weight to your likings. That´s all the information you need, no need to overcomplicate stuff.

This reads like a troll to me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. There is controversy about GOMAD. I have done it myself. I was 5' 10" and I've been as low as 105lbs. My normal weight before lifting was 120 lbs. I know what skinny is, I've been there. And I trust that you are skinny so don't worry. The problem is this: There is nearly no situation in which a sudden 2400 calorie increase is prudent. Even if you were starving. You would want to get on an immediate calorie increase in such a situation, yes, but not one so drastic. That's not healthy, even if you were starving at the time.

The fact that you're skinny doesn't give you the ability to partition 100% of your surplus into lean mass. The fact that you workout doesn't give you that ability either. And the combination of the two still doesn't give you much more than about a 1:1 ratio when you over-feed. And credible as they may be, a few testimonials giving personal impressions on the internet is not going to convince me otherwise. I did GOMAD. I thought I gained mostly muscle. I looked way better, and I went way slower than the standard protocol. My flaw, and what ended up saving me, was that I suck at eating. So while I did GOMAD I subconsciously couldn't keep up my regular food intake. The system ended up self regulating. I ended up gaining about 40 lbs. my first year, instead of 40 lbs. in two or three months, as GOMAD tells you to do. And yet, I now know I didn't gain "mostly muscle", although technically all that would mean is 51% muscle, which is feasible. I know there are people out there that swear they gained like 90% muscle on GOMAD but, although I respect them, I don't believe they are correct. They aren't getting DEXA scanned. They are basically just looking in the mirror and liking what they see, so assuming it was mostly muscle. I don't intend to argue. I won't convince them and they won't convince me so I'm not trying to debate. As I said, I respect these people and their impression and opinion is as valid as mine.

That being said, I don't think you should do GOMAD, for several reasons. First, you need to get real weight training equipment. The Iron Gym is a glorified pull up bar. Resistance bands aren't of much use. You're basically saying you can do body weight movements like push ups, pull ups, and sit ups. This is simply not a program that is to be combined with gross over-feeding. Anyone in their right mind that recommends something as drastic as GOMAD is going to demand you do heavy Barbell Back Squats, at the VERY LEAST. So if you're not going to run a hard barbell program like Starting Strength or 20 rep Squats or something like that, don't even think about GOMAD.

Even if you are going to run said programs I still say you should start out with a more moderate calorie increase. 2400 is ridiculous. Start with an extra 600 at most. And if you're set on getting it from milk that equates to about 1 quart, or 1 liter a day. There is absolutely no reason why GOMAD would work but LOMAD would not. The only difference is you have less food to eat with LOMAD and you'll gain less body fat in the process. Now if you intend to drink a gallon of milk and not much else in addition to that then that's a different story. It's up to you whether or not you want nearly 100% of your calories to come from milk. But that is not what GOMAD is supposed to be. You're supposed to continue eating what you eat now and then add GOMAD on top of that, resulting in an additional 2400 calories a day.

Let me reiterate, I know where you are because I was there too. I did GOMAD, and luckily I kinda screwed it up. There are better ways to go about things. Seriously why not LOMAD instead? And remember, if you're not lifting heavy barbells just get this diet out of your mind right now. Body weight stuff is fine but you're not going to get swole on it unless you have amazing genetics.

• Upvote 3

^^ Wow. Really well said Carl!

FWIW I started at 182 @ 6'4" and just drank 4+ protein shakes per day each with 3 scoops in addition to my normal diet, which consisted of as much meat and veggies as I could possibly eat. I gained like 20lbs in 2 months.

I really appreciate that you guys took your time to read my post and reply. Really THANKS! And so that I am now much more Informed, i think i'll try LOMAD instead! So Carl, when you were doing GOMAD you just couldn't eat since all that milk was stuffing you right, and that led you to a slower weight gaining? So if im going to do LOMAD i will add it on the food i regularly eat and add in some strength training. I saw some pictures of a guy who did GOMAD but did not do any sort of exercise at all and he got a big belly

Thats what a lot of extra calories will do for you. Really there isnt any magic in the milk its just an easy way to keep calories up. I did GOMAD for a while and moved my bodyweight from about 145-190lbs. I added a lot of regular food also but GOMAD really helped me get there. Now Ive transitioned to more regular food but I have been drinking 1/2 a gallon of milk every day since I stopped doing a full gallon. Its good stuff and if your activity level is high enough you wont put on all that much fat. And if you do, fat isnt THAT hard to lose.

So Carl, when you were doing GOMAD you just couldn't eat since all that milk was stuffing you right, and that led you to a slower weight gaining?

Yes, at the time I was probably maintaining my weight on less than 1500 calories a day. It's not easy to double or triple the amount of calories you eat suddenly. The fact that milk is liquid makes it easier but it's still not easy.

So if im going to do LOMAD i will add it on the food i regularly eat and add in some strength training. I saw some pictures of a guy who did GOMAD but did not do any sort of exercise at all and he got a big belly

A calorie surplus in the absence of heavy lifting will result in some lean mass gain, but not much. Overall you'll just get fat if you do this There is nothing special about milk. If you eat too many cookies you get fat, if you drink too much milk you get fat. If you lift heavy you can get it more like 50% lean mass gain. If you refine your diet even further and gain slower you can get it even higher than that. But that can get a bit more complicated than most people want to deal with.

There is no magic here. The body is built for survival. You have to make muscle growth necessary for survival. You do this by artificially creating that environment in the gym, under a heavy barbell. Once the body gets the message that it has to grow to survive this environment it will grow, as long as you give it the protein and calories it needs to do so. If you don't lift heavy the body will simply store most of the excess as fat, because that's what makes sense from a survival perspective. It's like a business. If you have excess profit and no need for more expansion, goods, or workers, you just stockpile the profit. But if you do have a need you'll use the profit to grow the business.

Yes, at the time I was probably maintaining my weight on less than 1500 calories a day. It's not easy to double or triple the amount of calories you eat suddenly. The fact that milk is liquid makes it easier but it's still not easy.

Wow, how much did you weigh then? That's low.

I think I was about 130 at the time.