Sign in to follow this  
CarlHmS

My Generic Paleo Diet, Thoughts?

Below is a picture of my generic paleo style meal plan for a day. I don't really care about eating like a caveman. I simply cut out grains, legumes, milk, and cheese, as an experiment for health reasons and I feel much better since having done that. You'll notice I eat rice and tubers and whey powder with no tears shed that it's not paleo.

I welcome any ideas about how to refine it or make it better. Calories need to be somewhere around 3000 and protein a bare minimum of 110g (I weigh only about 152 right now). But I tend to like the 1g per lb. standard better. In any case, what are your thoughts about the fat content of this plan. 52% of calories from fat seems high, or does it? I don't know. It's all "good fat" in my opinion because it's coming from meat, eggs, butter, coconuts, avocados, etc. I guess since I'm not rich and don't source grass fed you could consider that to be "not so good fat" but at least it's not refined PUFA oils. Still, I struggle with how to reduce that, because it means replacing each gram of fat with over two grams of carbs (or protein but that's excessive and expensive). Plus, without grains or beans it keeps coming back down to rice or potatoes as a carb source. I have those with most meals as it is. When I have sweet potatoes they take up half the plate and they're delicious. But I don't really want 3/4 plate of potatoes. Nevertheless I'm open to suggestions. I've recently discovered that pork rinds are fair game but that's basically pure fat so no real help there.

I haven't listed anything regarding the veggies so that would add some amount of carbs but not much. I eat a reasonable amount of veggies, but not a metric ton as that would work against me and my small appetite since they are not calorie dense enough. I guess more fruit is always an option. My question with that would be, at what point does the fructose (even though it's natural) become a problem?

mealplan001.jpg

You're welcome to suggest anything if you think something looks less than ideal. My only question is do you think the fat content it too high? And if so do you have any suggestions as to how to lower it and what to replace it with? Keeping in mind that I don't eat grains (except white rice) or beans or milk. Also, I should mention that I don't have a huge appetite so "eat 200 more grams of rice" probably won't work out in practice.

Oh, and for those that don't know, hollendaise is a sauce made from butter and egg yolks, so that's why it's basically pure fat. But it's more palatable than drinking olive oil or something like that.

Thanks for your input.

Actually some tubers (sweet potatos for example) are paleo, and white rice isn't necessarily unpaleo, all the negative phytochemicals are removed from rice in milling proccess

fruit would only be a problem if it adds up to more calories than you need, trust me cavemen ate them :D

You might try contacting Spector if he's still around, though he's bid on low carb, his approach is similar to yours, eating 'paleo' not because a caveman did it, but because of the health factor

From what I've read about paleo and primal diets, 50% calories from fat isn't bad.

Nuts can be a great addition if you can afford them. Specially Macadamia - since they have a good omega3/omega6 ratio. Macs are expensive though so I usually stick to walnuts and almonds.

If you are okay with it, greek yogurt could be a great option for relatively high protein and low fat snack.

Check this post by Peter Attia on his blog for some ideas. He has, what I consider to be, the best in-depth report on cholesterol on the whole of interwebz and is a very knowledgeable guy.

Given your need for a fair amount of calories and your dislike of large meals, you're sort of forced into a higher-fat diet, really.

That being said, if you're lifting, your protein and carb macros look pretty solid. My only recommendation would be to add in some fatty fish or fish oil supplements to boost your omega3s.

@Art - Yeah, they are considered "safe starches" by some people. But by the strictest definition white rice is not paleo. I don't really care about that though. I've heard some demonize fructose regardless of the delivery agent, in my case fruits and vegetables. I just didn't know if there was any cause for concern about that. I'm probably getting 15 to 20g of fructose a day from fruits and veggies. I also make water kefir which is cultured with sucrose. They say 20% of the initial sugar ends up remaining in the form of fructose when the brew is done. If true that means there's about 9g of fructose per quart. I have been drinking 1 to 1.5 quarts a day, so that could be an issue given that the source is table sugar. For now I'm not going to worry about it.

Spector is a big influence on me and my diet. I know he's big on really high protein intake (300 to 400g a day). I would only go that high if I could afford it and I saw health benefits to reducing the fat or carbs. As far as I can tell, the big arguement about going that high in protein is that it's the alternative to going high fat or high carb. I have heard reason behind why high carb might be bad but not so much about why high fat would be, assuming it's not omega 6s.

@Om - You're probably right. Many paleo dieters go low carb and in that case, even if protein is high they would still be getting most calories from fat. I highly doubt most of those peoples' protein intake is "high" by lifters' standards though. I've basically cut out dairy that contains lactose or casein. I still use butter and whey powder. So for now yogurt is out. It's not so much a problem of finding protein sources without fat. Fish, chicken, and whey all work for that purpose. Nuts don't really help me because I don't like them and they are high fat, which if there was a problem with my diet, it would be that fat is too high.

@KaKTy - I read that post and will check out the rest of his articles. But damn his diet is crazy high in fat.

@Janelle - Yes I suspect you are correct there. I can see myself adding some more sweet potatoes and fruit. If I count the vegetables into the macros that could put my carbs in the 250 range with 40 being from fiber. I could see increasing protein a little bit as well, maybe to 200 - 225. But that is still going to leave 140 or more from fat at 3000 kcal per day. I don't necessarily see a need to go higher than that in protein or carbs. It would only be in the effort to drive fat down a bit. I am getting back to lifting now. I will resume supplementing fish oil as well.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate it.

Here's a slightly updated meal plan.

mealplan002.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's not that far off from what I do except I have plenty of dairy. I use grass fed and/or raw dairy products. Raw, grass fed heavy cream is a staple of my diet to get calories up. Oh and kefir, I love kefir!

I think the key to paleo eating is no gluten, keep soy to a minimum and watch the PUFAs.

I'm looking at making some changes to my diet and have starting taking an interest in some of the paleo info out there.  This post has been useful for giving me some ideas.  Thanks, Carl.