Sign in to follow this  
sanitarium911

Does If It Fits Your Macros Work?

Hey all im looking for a simple diet to add muscle and lose some fat, I have heard of many different diets but If it fits your macros makes the most sense to me. Has anyone had succes on this would it work for someone who wants to loose 10lbs of fat while adding strength.

A great video. Too much of a rant in my opinion, but that really wasn't an scientific article anyway. To get the most out of that vid you need to have some background information about the IIFYM and clean foods discussion.

I don't really think anything works if it doesn't fit you macros. Many diets give you guidelines that limit some macros in some ways. Atkins limits your carbs intake, Weightwatchers limits the amount of calories you can consume. You can use both while doing IIFYM and the funny thing is that you also must do IIFYM on both of those. There aren't any "official" IIFYM macros that I know of, you just need to figure out those for yourself.

Question what do you think about my approach? Im a begginer weight lifter But i mix clean eating and IIFYM together. I dont count how many carbs or protein i am eating. I just make sure i eat at around maintenance or slightly above maintenance calories all spread out through 4 meals. And the majority of my calories come from healthy clean foods i may toss in a slice of pizza or a steak n cheese every few days. But i make sure i dont go over the caloric limit im following. I will have about 2,200 calories of healthy food and ill have 800 of an unhealthy food and call it a day. I am eating 3,000 calories but i may start tapering off calories i want to start losing fat but at the same time i want to keep and add strength. I am planning on doing a 10 percent caloric reduction.

I don't really think anything works if it doesn't fit you macros. Many diets give you guidelines that limit some macros in some ways. Atkins limits your carbs intake, Weightwatchers limits the amount of calories you can consume. You can use both while doing IIFYM and the funny thing is that you also must do IIFYM on both of those. There aren't any "official" IIFYM macros that I know of, you just need to figure out those for yourself.

Exactly. It doesn't matter if it's paleo or SAD. You'll lose weight if you're in a deficit and gain weight if you're in a surplus. You can't eat 10,000 calories and lose weight. It doesn't matter if it's calories from meat or pop tarts. And you can't eat 500 calories and gain weight either. This is assuming you're not metabolically broken, of course. IIFYM is arguably the only principle that works. The only question is are you aware of your macros and hitting them consciously or is the diet doing that for you with some other restriction.

I think the whole premise of how IIFYM got started was to point out the flaw in the way typical bodybuilders think/thought about nutrition. There is no substantial difference in body composition between eating "super clean" chicken and broccoli versus getting the protein, fat, and carbs, from another source, even junk food. Health is a different matter. The point was, use science not dogma when it comes to such things.

And yes, pretty much anyone can lose 10 lbs. of fat while gaining strength. Beginners can lose fat while gaining muscle mass as well.

Question what do you think about my approach? Im a begginer weight lifter But i mix clean eating and IIFYM together. I dont count how many carbs or protein i am eating. I just make sure i eat at around maintenance or slightly above maintenance calories all spread out through 4 meals. And the majority of my calories come from healthy clean foods i may toss in a slice of pizza or a steak n cheese every few days. But i make sure i dont go over the caloric limit im following. I will have about 2,200 calories of healthy food and ill have 800 of an unhealthy food and call it a day. I am eating 3,000 calories but i may start tapering off calories i want to start losing fat but at the same time i want to keep and add strength. I am planning on doing a 10 percent caloric reduction.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track. A little bit of "unclean" foods arent going to destroy your weightloss.

Although 3000 calories seems like a lot for a 165lb guy. Unless of course you are extremely active.