Sign in to follow this  
michail

Just Started Wendler 5/3/1 4 Day Split Bbb

I'm 3 workouts into Wendler 5/3/1 and I thought it was going to be an easy week. All those extra sets really hit me hard! Especially when following up with a 5x10 at 50% for BBB.

I've been left with that wobbly feeling that I used to get way back when I first picked up some dumbbells and flailed around.

Anyway, I'd really like to incorporate SLDLs as an accessory but they aren't mentioned too much in the program. Should they be done and if so what exercise should they be paired with? Deadlift? I picked BBB since I also do kickboxing 2 or 3 days per week.

I'm mostly sticking with the 5x10 part of the BBB because I don't have my accessories figured out just yet. Also, I don't have any extra equipment besides a power cage and Olympic bar set. I do have dip bars but dips seem to hurt my shoulder.

You could pair the SLDLs with either lower body lift. They may add a lot of time if you are doing them BBB. Better to do RDLs or just plain old BBB deadlift for training economy.

Any particular reason you want to do them?

I suppose the only reason is I like the way they hit the hamstrings and I also like the stretch since I do them from a platform.

What makes the RDL better than the SLDL?

Mostly training economy. You can use more weight with RDLs so they tend to work the grip and lower back, as well as the hamstrings.

Also, with single leg work you do twice as many reps=twice the time.

If time is not so much an issue, i can see SLDL being very beneficial, especially for a a kickboxer.

I think I'll keep it simple and stick with body weight exercises for the secondary accessories for now and see how my first cycle goes. I underestimated how big of an impact those extra reps have. I'm feeling doms for the first time in a long while.

Confused... by SLDL do you mean Stiff Leg Dead Lift or Single Leg Dead Lift?

StiffLDL

However, I've got some of the most intense leg doms, including my hamstrings, I've had in a long while. The + rep sets and the 5x10@50% really hit me hard having just coming from madcow.

I'm just about at the end of my first cycle and I can see I don't need to add the SLDLs yet. I've been feeling a bit run down by this program. I've had doms just about the entire month. It must be the extra volume from the BBB work.

I thought it would be a little easier than madcow but I have enjoyed it so far. Hopefully, I'll be able to make steady progress.

The increase in volume from madcow or SS type program to 5/3/1 bbb is pretty drastic at 1st... It blew my mind and gassed the shit out of me when I made the switch.  Just pick your exercises - start a bit lighter w/ volume on the 1st cycle but don't slack off - your body needs to and will adapt.

I do SLDL on squat day.

Im using a 2 day template.

At the moment it's

Day 1

Deadlift 5-3-1

OHP 5-3-1

Assistance front squat, bench

Day 2

Front Squat

Bench 5-3-1

Assistance SLDL, OHP

The great thing about 5-3-1 is being able to make adjustments depending on your goal and/or weaknesses.