Sign in to follow this  
beecee

Destined To Fail ( Rotator Cuff Injury )

If i believed in such nonsense i would probably believe i am destined to to fail in my lifting goals , i have an increasing pain in my shoulder that indicates rotator cuff injury , it started when i did Smolov jr for bench and knowing no better i tried to train around it to

the point where ive stopped benching and pretty much anything shoulder related , but it still hurts , it looks like complete rest in in order

, but im wondering if squatting and Deadlifting will still be ok , and other than that just concentrate on cardio , any thoughts ?

BRIAN

My friend got a rotar cuff injury seven years ago and his shoulder still hurts with heavy bench pressing. So if you are unlucky you will share the same faith.

Altough i think it's a great idea for you to focus on squats and deadlifts. Better doing that then nothing. :)

Squats are pretty stressful on the shoulders, so unless you have access to something like a safety bar, it's still going to be a problem. Who diagnosed you with a rotator cuff injury? You need to see a doctor and then work out what your rehab options are, which could involve anything from rest and physio to a surgery. No one on the internets will be able to do that for you, so if you are serious about it, go and see a professional.

The injury was diagnosed by a physio a few months back , he recommended some stretches etc , but as I was still lifting all the time it never really got a chance to heal . I'll just get stuck into cardio only till end of January and rest the shoulder totally , if there is no real improvement by them I'll have it looked at again by a professional .

Cheers

You need to be doing the stretches and external rotation work. It may stop hurting for now, if you let it be, but it could very well start hurting again once you begin lifting, if the problem is not addressed.

Good luck Brian just don't give up!

As already said: If you know no more than that you probably have a rotator cuff injury, you can't really expect us to tell you any more.

If it gave any trouble after more than a couple of month's rest I'd be wanting it investigated further. For this you will need scans: X-rays (to check for possible bone abnormalities such as bone spurs, unusual acromion types etc., probably US (to check for soft tissue damage) and possibly MRI. Even with all that, the diagnosis is not always 100% accurate.

I've been through all this and over the course of a few months the diagnosis went from - possible supraspinatus tear, to possible full-thickness rupture, to (when they finally opened it up and in the operation notes from the surgeon of 35-years experience) ... "... quite the worst case I've seen." referring to collateral damage to the surrounding tissue.

In my case I thought it was pretty crucial that I know the extent of the tear, since by my logic, that would have a significant influence on how I decided to proceed. E.g. partial tear = chance of it repairing itself ... therefore take it easy for a year and should be able to ease back into normal training. Full-tear = no chance of it repairing ... options are have surgery or live with it but with restrictions on training.

Out of idle curiosity how detailed is the diagnosis? Which muscle(s) are affected? Do anti-inflamms alleviate it?

If it makes you feel any more positive: I still have constant trouble with the same shoulder (though supraspinatus problem is not indicated). I've done SJ for Bench several times (in the middle of one right now) but just need to be very mindful of when my shoulder is telling me I'm giving it too hard a time. I'm pressing more than I've ever pressed in my entire life - so yes people can work around these things.

i went back to my physio last week , he reckons its not a cuff tear but some sort of impingement , he said ill need an mri to tell for sure ,but he gave me some exercises and stretches to try till the end of the month , if its not any better to then get the mri , it's so frustrating .

So here i am nearly a year later and hopefully at the end of my shoulder issue , i tried physio a few times , did every type of stretch there is avoided all types of lifts and even stopped lifting all to no avail , then a relative recommended Cold Laser Therapy as he had it done on a lower back issue , i had both my right shoulder and my lower back treated  ,by an orthopedic surgeon in a private practice/clinic  , he said the shoulder should heal more or less 100% and the back between 50 and 80% .I had the treatment done last Thursday and was told it would start to feel better in 7 to 10 days and would take up to 5 week to fully work , 4 days later and my back is  a little better and i feel no difference in my shoulder yet .

I did  as much research as i could and found most reports favorable , heres hoping , ill report back either way over the coming weeks as if this does work it might be something that others could use . .

I MISS LIFTING . 

Guest rere

So here i am nearly a year later and hopefully at the end of my shoulder issue , i tried physio a few times , did every type of stretch there is avoided all types of lifts and even stopped lifting all to no avail , then a relative recommended Cold Laser Therapy as he had it done on a lower back issue , i had both my right shoulder and my lower back treated  ,by an orthopedic surgeon in a private practice/clinic  , he said the shoulder should heal more or less 100% and the back between 50 and 80% .I had the treatment done last Thursday and was told it would start to feel better in 7 to 10 days and would take up to 5 week to fully work , 4 days later and my back is  a little better and i feel no difference in my shoulder yet .

I did  as much research as i could and found most reports favorable , heres hoping , ill report back either way over the coming weeks as if this does work it might be something that others could use . .

I MISS LIFTING . 

I feel your frustration mate. I hope your shoulder heals up soon.