Sign in to follow this  
gun

Giving A S*** And Doing It Less = Progress?

This is not really a question, it's more of an experience I want to share and see if others have experienced the same thing, cause I find it pretty strange...:

I used to train 3-4 times a week for about a year and a half. The last months of this period I didn't see much progress at all. I stalled on all the lifts. This made me VERY obsessed about training. I thought about it, talked to others about it, read about it, and dreamt about it. Because I didn't progress I thought I was doing something wrong. After a while I was so sick of not progressing and not finding answers to why I kept stalling and I got very demotivated. I started thinking less about it, talk less about it, read nothing about it at all, and never had a dream about it since. (I haven't even been in here for months!) I also started going less to the gym, and when I did go, I tried to hurry to get it over with, cause I just couldn't be bothered.

My deadlift for instance : I had worked up to 87,5 kg but then I stalled. For weeks. For months. I perfected my technique- it didn't help. I deloaded - didn't work. I rested- didn't work. I got loads of sleep - didn't work. I ate loads - didn't work.

Then I stopped caring, and what surprised me was: I started to progress...! I can lift more than ever and I keep progressing!

Now I'm confused :-P

• Upvote 1

I'm with you here, sometimes people just start overanalyzing. Not being so anal about it might actually help sometimes!

Similar, I think when you get into training to that degree that you are thinking about it constantly, I know for myself I found I was adding more exercises, just another set, another few reps - and it was definitely affecting recovery and thus progress..

Once I had a break, scaled things back to 4-5 exercises per session maximum I have found more gains.

The other factor I face is over-thinking lifts - bench and squats particularly - so that in the bid to perfect form I found my form went to pot. Possibly what happened to you?

At least you're back at the training and making better progress this time round :D

• Upvote 1

It may have been that stalling caused too much distress which impeeded recovery, and not paying as much attention helped take stress out possibly even got you un-psyched out.

• Upvote 1

Strength seems to come in waves. You could be doing everything right and make no progress, and inversely, you can be doing everything wrong and progress.

My PRs seem to come in lumps. I build back up, reach a peak, and then the next few months I lose strength and the cycle repeats (in this instance, diet played a big role). The only thing you can do is do your best to figure out what's causing you to stall. Nobody knows yourself better than you. There could be thousands of reasons why you're suddenly making progress, and sometimes those reasons aren't so obvious.

I often give no shits about training. I just go in and slam bars.

I can definitely relate to this.

I too used to obsess over training. To the point where I couldn't stop thinking about how hard my next squat session was going to be. I'd start getting nervous a few hours before training. This is probably the worst thing you can do. It sets you up for failure. Since buying my house and having hardly any time to train, I scaled back my training to just one lift per session, 3 times a week. Progress started coming easier. Weights got heavier and although 5x5 was manageable. The weights felt heavy and I was coming close to missing reps all the time. It took me a while to cut it back yet further but when I look around and the powerlifters at my gym are doing much less than me and still making good progress I realise its time to give it a try. They have me drop to 3x5 squats only once per week. The first week I feel like I've done far too little. The second, the weight is 5kg more yet it feels lighter and my technique feels more solid. The following week I look forward to squatting. Enter the gym full of confidence and again the weight feels light and the squats are a joy to do.

4 weeks from when I cut the volume my squat had gone from a very tough 142.5kg 5x5 to a very manageable 160kg 3x5 with much improved technique. I felt I could have carried on adding weight each week but they had me deload and do 140 3x5. The following week I was on triples. 3x3 to be precise. Surely 3x3 squats once per week isn't enough? Seems to be. I did 165 3x3 tonight and I felt good for more reps or even 170 3x3. Training a going great at the minute and its through not worrying about it so much and also doing less of it but making sure that what I do do is of a good standard, technique wise.

• Upvote 1

^Jimbo....

I would give no shuts about training if I lifted at a place like Adlington Barbell.

Epic gym is epic.

When I'm stressed out I tend to get worked about training more because I am all worked up. But when I stop and take a step back and think "lol why am I so worked up" everything goes better then expected.

• Upvote 1