Sign in to follow this  
dodgepaul

Deadlifting Shoes That Aren't Chucks

So at the risk of offending the Chuck Taylor wearing hordes, I don't like them and don't want to buy them. Yes it's a rediculously vain thing probably, but I always thought they looked silly with athletic shorts and I don't want to wear them.

However, I do acknowledge that my athletic shoes aren't doing me any favors deadlifting anyway, and I can't always deadlift barefood due to gym policies.

Any recommendations?

I'm also considering buying a weightlifting shoe such as the Do-wins but haven't decided there either. Is there issues with deadlifting in weightlifting shoes with a heel? Seems like a problem, but I know people do it.

I'm considering some of the "mimimalist" style shoes which are supposed to give "feel" to the wearer like being barefoot.

Thoughts?

Chinese Kung Fu slippers. Get a cloth sole that's really thin. Or Cheap Hard Rubber like only china can produce.

More manly than ballerina slippers imho.

Not sure where to find Kung Fu slippers in Washington state :blink: Although I had considered wrestling shoes...not really the same thing I'm guessing although my Kung Fu is weak in the slipper department

Vibrams?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm Mind you, they'll stand out more than a pair of Chucks..

I was thinking something more along the lines of these Reeboks, or these

New Balance shoes. Still minimalist without the toes ;)

I'm offended

Any of the minimalistic shoes with similar toe and heel compression should be fine. You could always deadlift in jeans and work boots, like a fellow at my gym?

For what it's worth, I believe Jamie from Chaos and Pain lifts in NB minimus shoes and he's damn near about to break the world raw squat record.

I deadlift in my do-wins. Too lazy to change footwear in the gym. I figure the extra 1/2 inch of bar travel isn't a deal breaker for me.

I've just started wearing Adidas PP2 and leave them on for deadlift. The .75" heel feels different at the top of the rep, but certainly doesn't make the lift harder.

Rip advocates DLing in weightlifting shoes, and I don't find it to be a problem, either

of course wearing DL socks isn't technicaly 'barefoot' either lol

I used NB Minimus MX20's for squatting for a while and did not enjoy it... they are great to run in though and don't seem to bother me while deadlifting.

Deadlift slippers, wrestling shoes and minimalist-type sneakers are all good choices, in ascending order of cost. Because I am both profligate and mentally unbalanced, I wear Metal Powerlifting Shoes on deadlift day.

I'm offended

You may be, although I said a disclaimer ahead of time which makes it all ok...right?

Something along the lines of, " no offence, but...."

:)

Lou, what are Deadlift slippers? And btw, your metal shoes rock.

I deadlift in my do-wins. Too lazy to change footwear in the gym. I figure the extra 1/2 inch of bar travel isn't a deal breaker for me.

^ this is kind of where I'm leaning. Get a decent pair of weightlifting shoes and wear them for everything. Although I do like the nb minimus shoes.

Many would argue they are FAR uglier then the chucks, but to each his own.

Not sure where to find Kung Fu slippers in Washington state :blink: Although I had considered wrestling shoes...not really the same thing I'm guessing although my Kung Fu is weak in the slipper department

Every city of more than like, 5 people, has a neighborhood called "China Town". This place specializes in illegaly imported goods and good food. Find them there.

Don't spend a lot of money. Seriously, you might as well do it barefoot if you can, this is one lift where shoes don't do much and can f--k you up if they're bad too. Squatting is a different story.

Chuck wearer since 2008...You're not offending me. I used to think chucks looked silly too so I see where you are coming from.

They're function over fashion to me. I go to the "high end" gym in my city where some members are more worried about fashion with their coordinated outfits than they do working out. I don't think anyone else wears chucks. I don't know if they call me Chuck behind my back :) ...but I really don't care. When I do a pull, they don't silly anymore.

I'm sure any of those suggestions the guys recommended will work over sneakers with cushion...

I wear my Do-Wins to deadlift and haven't had any issues. In fact, since I started wearing them my deadlift has gone from 475 to 550 :) The extra knee flexion actually makes it easier to power it off the floor and build some speed early in the lift. That's the reason that rack pulls are not that much easier than deadlifts despite the reduced range of motion.

I deadlift with just my deadlift stockings on.

Used my old boxing boots when in competition.

I wear my Do-Wins to deadlift and haven't had any issues. In fact, since I started wearing them my deadlift has gone from 475 to 550 :) The extra knee flexion actually makes it easier to power it off the floor and build some speed early in the lift. That's the reason that rack pulls are not that much easier than deadlifts despite the reduced range of motion.

When I deadlifted (I haven't for a while), I used my Adidas weightlifting shoes (that rock). You certainly get a better pull off the floor.

So for the Do-Win wearers (is that even a word?)...

I want to order a pair of the Rogue Do-Wins - the website says sizing runs "normal" whatever that means. Any real life perspective? My normal shoe size varies from 11-11.5 (US) and I'll order running shoes from 11.5-12. They say they have plenty of room in the toe and run wide which I dont' need so I'm leaning towards ordering a a size 11.

Thoughts?