Sign in to follow this  
AkumaZ

Carb Backloading

You could switch over to Carb Nite.

Same prep phase as CBL, night of the 10th ULC day you eat everything and anything (6 hour window, much longer than backloading). From there, you have a carb nite once a week (minimum 5 days in between CNs)

Might be better? Or maybe that's still too spread out for feedings

Thanks for the idea. But, I'm back on Carb Back loading starting 11/2/12. I went out of town for about a week prior, and didn't gain or lose any weight.

I will try to up my intake of food (protein especially) to move closer to the Density Bulking protocol. I found over the five weeks that my recovery started to suck miserably when cutting down my consumption of calories. I'm about 181-183 lbs daily at this time.

I also got my Rilose (rice sugar, which he recommends) from protein factory. I'm now using that to Carb back load with the protein shakes. I think it'll be better than regular table sugar since it should create a bigger and faster insulin response.

We'll see.

Thanks for the idea. But, I'm back on Carb Back loading starting 11/2/12. I went out of town for about a week prior, and didn't gain or lose any weight.

I will try to up my intake of food (protein especially) to move closer to the Density Bulking protocol. I found over the five weeks that my recovery started to suck miserably when cutting down my consumption of calories. I'm about 181-183 lbs daily at this time.

I also got my Rilose (rice sugar, which he recommends) from protein factory. I'm now using that to Carb back load with the protein shakes. I think it'll be better than regular table sugar since it should create a bigger and faster insulin response.

We'll see.

For future reference, despite the hails of Rilose, I haven't seen proof that it's actually better than Dextrose (which is WAY cheaper if you find a home brewing shop)

The smell of rilose is interesting though, it's obvious that it's derived from rice just based on that

So what's the consensus then? Yay or nay on the carb back loading?

@Adamr, the bottom line it seems is that Calories are King (as born out all over the place).

I say give yourself a 6 week timespan to focus on the diet, try it and if it works great! If not, you have another 6 weeks to try something different.

Just catching up on this thread and thought I'd toss in my experience so far with carb backloading. I was doing leangains for the better part of last year and I switched over to carb backloading a few months ago. I'm loving it. After my lifting, usually 3 times a week, I have a shake consisting of whole milk, whey, bananas, berries, greek yogurt. After that I eat a meal with some form of meat and more carbs, rice or oatmeal or potatoes and then I have ice cream. Sometimes I have pizza too on top of all that or just pizza instead of the meat and starch. I have only gained about a pound since I started but I find it's a great way for me to get my favorite cheat meals in without adding fat and actually losing some fat in the belt region.

Short question:

Does Carb-backloading or Carb-Nite work for people that work Graveyard shift?

I read a few things about CB and CN but don't have the book yet.

Was doing Leangains and typical schedule is as follows:

Non-Training Day:

5-6p: Wakeup

7-8: Dinner

11p-7a Work

10-11 Breakfast then bed

Training Days:

5-6p: Wakeup

7-8: Dinner

11p-7a: Work

9a-11a: Train

11a-12p Eat then sleep

I'm pretty sure you can do CBL when training in the morning, Keifer talked about that and Sean Hyson did too a bit. http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/carb-back-loading-whats-old-is-new Towards the end he talks about training in the morning and backloading. I think it could work, it's similar to leangains in many ways. The fast time isn't as strict or as long as leangains prescribes.

When you train in the morning, you backload the night before.

What's the difference between Carb-Backloading vs Carb-Nite?

Carb-Nite is an earlier version of a similar protocol aimed at fat loss in general population with one refeed per week.

Carb-Backloading is an evolved version aimed at the training population which incorporates greater variety of protocols.

Carb-Nite is an earlier version of a similar protocol aimed at fat loss in general population with one refeed per week.

Carb-Backloading is an evolved version aimed at the training population which incorporates greater variety of protocols.

So If I am going to buy one or the other, may as well get CBL instead of CN?

It looks similar to LG and what I am doing now but I would like to read the details to try it proper to do a full trial on my own and review it.

I'm running it right now. Still in the prep phase. And is sucks hard. First back load is in just over 24 hours, and man I need it. I feel like I am dying. Will let you guys know what I think after a few weeks/months into the actual back loading phase. What I can tell you, is any period of time that includes hard training and sub 30g of carbs a day sucks balls.

Yes, get CBL.

I'm running it right now. Still in the prep phase. And is sucks hard. First back load is in just over 24 hours, and man I need it. I feel like I am dying. Will let you guys know what I think after a few weeks/months into the actual back loading phase. What I can tell you, is any period of time that includes hard training and sub 30g of carbs a day sucks balls.

Yep. keto (which is what prep period is) and intense training, when you are glycogen-depleted is torture :)

Agreed.

It looks similar to LG and what I am doing now but I would like to read the details to try it proper to do a full trial on my own and review it.

Try to find it for free if you can....the price is pretty ridiculous for the information.

I can summarize the carb nite protocol pretty easily for you if you want it, it's more of a cutting diet.

9.5 days of ultra low carb (<30g). Aim for an equal amount of protein and fat by weight, so majority of calories are from fat.

On the evening of the 10th day (say 6pm for a regular schedule, for you this might be 5-11am) pig out on carbs. No limits, absolutely destroy yourself on them and make them as high glycemic as possible.

After that go back to ultra low carb but once a week (not 10 days) have another carb nite. For training purposes, i'd recommend structuring it so that your carb nite is either the night before your first training session or the second, that way you have some training days while still full of glycogen

With carb backloading, it can be accomplished on graveyard. Kiefer's mentioned that it's important to take steps to align your circadian rhythm as such, so sleep in a veritable man cave, black out screens etc so there's no light

Guest ExperimentB76z

Maybe when someone buys one of Kiefer's books, he's like, trolololololololololololololololol.

I hope that's it.

Love that video

I'm in my 10 day prep phase for CBL, but months ago we bought tickets to a big food event that was last night. Needless to say, carb limits went out the window. Even without my morning workout today though, I feel really good after the carb up, so I'm looking forward to putting this into practice.