Sign in to follow this  
FerrousMaverick

Girl Power

If you are looking for videos/pictures of girls scantily clad you are looking in the wrong place. If you are looking for women who are bigger than men, you are looking in the wrong place. In this thread I have a couple videos of Olympic weightlifting competitions, women's division. What you will see is that first, these women are really strong, lifting at least twice their body weight above their head. Second, you'll notice that the women look like women. The point I'm trying to make is that what the "muscle" magazines portray female weightlifters as is just wrong (on more than one level). First example would be this video from the Arnold 2011 competition:

Something that has been instilled in my since I was regularly doing karate is always look at the small person. They have to use better form than the big guys and they always end up being better than the big guys. I personally am a big guy, but I value good form. So no surprise when I was looking at the 2008 Olympics Weightlifting 48kg (~105lb) Women's Competition that they all had excellent form. You can learn a lot about how to approach a bar, how to fail a lift, how important flexibility is to weightlifting, and more.

The bottom line is that strong comes in all shapes and sizes. You can't let anyone dictate to you how strong looks or how big strong is. Take a look at the faces of these women as they are lifting more than 2x their body weight above their heads. They are smiling.

Thank-you for the clips and sentiments expressed. I appreciate the positive tone of this board!

Hi Teri, Welcome aboard, I hope you find a great network of support here. I checked out your blog and see you have some good things going on. I also noted that you are in my age range, therefore I will probably follow your journey as I like to interact with others close to my age.

Great post thanks :) Amazing vids - those women are strong but still very feminine :) Myth busting at its best!

Great thread! Very impressive videos by some strong women.

I love Julia Rohde I have her as my screen saver on my laptop lol

Lots of beautiful badassery up in here! Thanks for the inspiration!

Definitely know what I am aspiring to now! Thanks! :D