Sign in to follow this  
bluestreak

Cold Weather Training

I found this excellent article by Bill Starr on training in cold weather. I also read something by Eric Cressey recently who recommended taking a warm shower before exercise in the morning.

Most of you are moving into summer but my (unheated) garage is getting cooler each day and I've recently cut a lot of BF so I'm feeling it.

What strategies do you use for cold weather training?

I know Mouse used knee sleeves more for insulation than for strength aid. Maybe look at keeping the joints warm as a start point.

Oh, and I take a warm shower before doing anything in the morning (even living in a perpetually hot country). Can't function without one.

I know Mouse used knee sleeves more for insulation than for strength aid. Maybe look at keeping the joints warm as a start point.

I was debating that. My knees and elbows are not happy in cold weather

I've also noticed it's getting pretty cold around here zzz

Great article. I've always winter was a good time to get strong/big too. Mostly because having a bit more fat is helpful to stay warm, and also because you're covered up more so aesthetics are less of an issue (LOL).

Jealous here. I have about a year long summer and am always trying to find ways to stay cool.

My life dream is to go to florida and experience this so called 'year long summer'. NZ weather is ugly...

Texas here has about a month or two of winter at most the last many years, so no issues with cold most of the time, but when it is cold I sub in Kettlebell swings for my walking / sprimting, and if I didn't have room for a full home gym, I would likely switch to Kbell stuff (inside) completely rather than try to lift in a cold ass garage lol

My life dream is to go to florida and experience this so called 'year long summer'. NZ weather is ugly...

If you have that New Zealand accent it drives the women here crazy.

• Upvote 1

I used to train in my back garden, and in winter it got cold. I did however set my bench press PR just after I brushed the snow up. it was

-10c and it made me stick to the basics for low reps, as the bar was fucking freezing. Things like sand bag lifts and carrys are good in the cold, and zerchers, and you don't need to make contact with cold metal.