Sign in to follow this  
beecee

Smith Machine - Oh No !

My local gym went bust a couple of weeks ago , leaving me having to use a gym in work which has hex plates , so DL is a pain , and to make matters worse it also only has a smith machine , using the Steinborn manoeuvre is a no no for me .

So what exactly is the problem with using a smith machine , and for those of us with no real choice , how can we make the most of it ,

are there other exercises we should be doing to compensate etc , i really am stuck with this and there is no way i can build buy or do anything else to get a proper rack :(

Cheers in advance

BRIAN

Forces you into an unnatural movement path and no stabilizing muscle activation for starters.

In your shoes, I'd just learn the steinborn squat but if it really is a no go, how about zercher squats?

Like so:

I'd either

Clean and Front Squat

Zercher Squat

Why did your gym go bust?

Zercher squats hand down, clean/front squat is a good alternative but you'll be limiting your squat progress to the weight you could clean with good form.

I did my first round of SL using Zerchers because I was in you same situation and I made good progress.

the gym went bust i would say because it was trying to be all things to everyone , but not actually meeting the needs of anyone , there

was a small amount of all types of equipment , so there was a lot of waiting around , and people just stopped going/paying .

The gym in work is free and is usually empty at the times i train , so thats a plus , the hex plates i can deal with , i might see if i

get them to get some sort of regular rack for squatting .

Heres an odd thing . one of the guys in work , who is on a different crew to me , Gerry O grady , used to hold records years back for squat bench and

deadlift in Ireland England Scotland and Wales and they warent broken for years , i know he uses this gym , but im sure he also still goes to a regular

gym too , i must have a word in his experienced ear .

Arent there other gyms in your area.

yes , but they are very expensive or full of cardio machines or both , im going to see about getting something sorted in the station gym ,

worth a try .

Sounds like a good bet would be try and get a decent rack in your work gym. Even a simple squat stand could do the job.

The problem there is that the gym equipment is paid for mostly by the workers and not the company ,

most if not all who will just say " use the smith , its all the same " , ill see how i get on , work on my

powers of persuasion :)

I think clean/ front squat is your best bet.

Not a huge fan of zerchers - if you think Front Squats are limited wait until you tear a bicep on the zercher... It's a good movement no doubt and a fantastic "depth" / "stay upright" goblet type squat but way too much strain on bicep/elbow at heavy weight compared to a front squat in the clean grip.

If you have a training partner, you can even ask HIM to clean it for you and then use wrist straps, tied around the bar, as handles. Of course in most corporate environments, finding a person who can power clean is hard.