Sign in to follow this  
umairarif

Doing Every Thing Right But Not Loosing Fat??

HI ALL

I M 32 YEARS OLD, 5 FEET 11, 93 KGS, BODY FAT%24(5 MONTHS AGO WAS 30%)

BEEN IN AND OUT OF GYM SINCE I WAS 15.

STARTED STRENGTH TRAINING 5 MONTHS AGO AFTER A 5 YEARS BREAK

NEVER DONE STRENGTH TRAINING BEFORE, SO 1ST COUPLE OF MONTHS

I FOCUSED ON FORM AND MAKING LIFTS HEAVY.

BY TODAY MY

SQUATS:130KG

BENCH:110 KG

OHP: 75KG

DEADLIFT:180KG

I STARTED MY LIFTS FROM ZERO 5 MONTHS AGO, SO I AM SATISFIED WITH PROGRESS

I REVIEW MY SELF EVERY 4-5 WEEKS,

MY WEIGHT HAS GONE UP 2 KGS IN 5 MONTHS

BF % GONE DOWN BY 6%

METABOLIC RATE INCREASED LITTLE BIT

WAIST 36'' SAME AS 5 MONTHS AGO

CHEST, ARMS AND THIGHS HAVE INCREASED IN SIZE(CHEST VERY GOOD)

MY DIET FROM LAST 3 MONTHS:

ABOUT 800 GRAMS OF OVEN ROASTED, BAKED OR GRILLED CHICKEN EVERY DAY+

500MIL OF FULL FAT MILK+1-3 EGGS OR 300 GRAMS OF COTTAGE CHEESE.

I EAT COUPLE OF SLICES BREAD EVERY 2ND DAY

OVEN ROASTED POTATOES OR BACKED POTATO OR 100G PASTA ONCE A WEEK

A DESERT ONCE A WEEK, MIGHT EAT COUPLE COOKIES, AN APPLE, BANANA OR COUPLE ORANGE SOME DAYS

I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO UPLOAD PICTURES HERE, AND THEN I WILL UPLOAD ASAP MY BODY PICTURES

ALL I WANT TO DO IS LOSE WEIGHT, LOSE FAT SPECIALLY THE SPARE TYRE AROUND MY BELLY

IDEALLY BW 85KGS, WAIST 33-34.

THNX FOR YOUR REPLIES, HELP AND INPUT ON THIS

REGARDS

You're actually making great progress there mate! Your lean body mass increased by 7kg and you lost 5kg of fat in 5 months. For most, that would be a dream come true :)

I suggest you keep doing what you do, maybe tweak your nutrition a little to find the sweet spot where you burn more fat but your strength gains don't suffer. That's up to you, you'll be doing great if you stick to what you are doing now. If you want to do more conditioning, I recommend barbell complexes. I recommend this article.

Furthermore, I advice you to focus on your bodyfat percentage to measure your fat loss progress, and not the measurement of your waist. Measure every 2-4 weeks and write it down, so you can see your long term progress.

Good luck in your endeavours!

I agree with Tim, you're making very good progress. Your diet also looks pretty solid, assuming the values are accurate.

If you want to kick things into high gear, check out cyclical keto diets here: http://ironstrong.org/index.php?/topic/1020-cyclical-keto-diet/

Also, carb cycling here: http://ironstrong.org/index.php?/topic/889-low-carb-vs-carb-cycling/

And paleo here: http://ironstrong.org/index.php?/topic/972-paleo-nutrition/

Hi

Thanks for your time and replies. I have looked in to the posts you have suggested but finding it difficult because they seems very complicated. And some questions also raise in my mind, I will try and explain them too here.

firstly i dont understand the calculations of intake of proteins and fats in CKD program.

Then I am confused about protein in take every day should it be full body weight 1-1.5g of protein per pound bw or just lean body weight?

Also I need to know how many calories i need every day to lose fat and keep building muscles same time? there are calculators online but all give different results.

If i keep up my protein intake i.e 225g every day, that alone makes about 2000 cal, my main sources for protein are chicken(skinless, roasted, baked or grilled), eggs and cottage cheese.

most important is that who can I find that how much calories I burn during my workout?

thats it for now if there are any other things I will post again.

cheers

Guest ExperimentB76z

It's down to calories in and calories out. At the moment you are eating more that you are consuming.

Have a look here for more information on nutrition generally, and how you can plan your own diet.

Umair,

If your goal is to lose fat, drop the milk completely. Drop any fluidic calories. Water / black coffee / tea only (no milk or sugar added).

As EB76z said it's down to in/out and your stage.

Also, use lower cases like you did in the chat. Posts need not be all in caps.

Absolutely nothing. But if your goal is to lose weight, fluidic calories are the easiest ones to cut.

Well I see your point but I wouldn't group milk together with other 'worthless' liquid calorie sources like sodas and concentrated fruit juices.

Well I see your point but I wouldn't group milk together with other 'worthless' liquid calorie sources like sodas and concentrated fruit juices.

At 12g of carbs per 8oz, it's about half as bad. It's definitely no health drink.

If you are gaining weight, getting stronger, and losing BF as a percentage, than you are doing everything right. You probably just need more time. Has your weight loss actually stalled/slowed down? Or are you just dissatisfied with how long it's taking to lose fat?

If your BF measurements are accurate, then you've lost ~10lbs of fat (or more) while gaining 6lbs of muscle (or more) in a few months. That's a tremendous achievement. If that is indeed what happened, then you don't have much to change as your current strategy is working very well.

There are limits to how fast your body can burn fat and how fast your body can build muscle. You are not far off from maximizing your muscle gains and your fat loss is still quite rapid, though theoretically could be a little faster. That being said, you are currently losing almost a kilo of fat each month. 5-6 more months of what you are doing now would put you at ~87kg and 15% BF with some pretty substantial muscle.

great guys, appreciate all your response, what i take from this is that i need to give it more time, I think when i will reach 15% or near bf then i will see a difference.

cheers

If you are gaining weight, getting stronger, and losing BF as a percentage, than you are doing everything right. You probably just need more time. Has your weight loss actually stalled/slowed down? Or are you just dissatisfied with how long it's taking to lose fat?

I agree, and think these are the most important questions at this point.

Lots of carbs, oh the horror :P

Well, no, but if you're throwing down a mere 2-3 16oz glasses per day, that's 72g of carbs, mostly sugar, in the form of lactose.

great guys, appreciate all your response, what i take from this is that i need to give it more time, I think when i will reach 15% or near bf then i will see a difference. cheers

keep at it man, I've noticed that these things take time and patience is the key, all the best

Check your calorie calculations. 225g of protein should work out to 900 calories, unless the foods you're eating that protein with are bringing in lots of extra calories.

Ultimately it's calories in vs calories out. You seem to have a good handle on most of this stuff, so if you want to lose fat quicker cut back some of the calories (maybe 20% of your current levels) and see what happens.

But at the same time - it looks like things are going in the right direction for you anyway.

Check your calorie calculations. 225g of protein should work out to 900 calories, unless the foods you're eating that protein with are bringing in lots of extra calories.

Ultimately it's calories in vs calories out. You seem to have a good handle on most of this stuff, so if you want to lose fat quicker cut back some of the calories (maybe 20% of your current levels) and see what happens.

But at the same time - it looks like things are going in the right direction for you anyway.

my protein every day come from chicken mainly like 800-900 grams of chicken i eat daily, 2-3 eggs daily, 250-300 ml of milk and 200-300 grams of cottage cheese. collectively they all make around 2100-2200 cal a day. I dont know where to cut calories from now?and these foods a most affordable too. chicken is major source of protein and 900 grams of chicken alone makes 1500-1600 cal.

cheers

Try Paleo. It doesn't seem/sound like a huge difference, but I've dropped about 5 lbs in the last month or so while still increasing my lifts. I don't really count calories and stick with it about 80% of the time. First rule: eat plants and animals. A good meat source (chicken) with a crapload of veggies fills you up and even though my fat intake has increased, I'm dropping weight like mad and feel pretty great at the same time.

^^ Other than his every-other-day bread and once-a-week pasta, he basically is doing high-protein paleo already. In the context of the rest of his post, I took it to mean that those were his "cheat meals" since he emphasized that they were only occasional indulgences and even had the portions regulated. Even his desserts don't seem unreasonable.

I'd say at most he could reduce the amount of some of his "cheats", but other than that it looks great. And he's clearly making progress.

Spector, agreed he's definitely making progress and his diet isn't terrible by any stretch. There are a few things I'd switch up personally.

ABOUT 800 GRAMS OF OVEN ROASTED, BAKED OR GRILLED CHICKEN EVERY DAY+

500MIL OF FULL FAT MILK+1-3 EGGS OR 300 GRAMS OF COTTAGE CHEESE.

I EAT COUPLE OF SLICES BREAD EVERY 2ND DAY

OVEN ROASTED POTATOES OR BACKED POTATO OR 100G PASTA ONCE A WEEK

A DESERT ONCE A WEEK, MIGHT EAT COUPLE COOKIES, AN APPLE, BANANA OR COUPLE ORANGE SOME DAYS

First off, bread and pasta need to go. Don't get me wrong, it's hard. I love both, but the calories and anti-nutrients in there could be pretty bad. Milk is usually considered non-Paleo as well; I've switched to all almond or an almond/coconut blend.

Potatos look okay, usually suggested as a "sometimes" thing. Cookies should probably go.

What strikes me as off mostly in this diet is the lack of eating a lot of fruits and vegetables.

I'm taking a moderate-protein approach like the book recommends (Mark Sisson) with high fat and low carbs. Today:

breakfast: a cup of pineapple; 1 hard-boiled egg (I usually eat a little more than this, sort of on the go this morning)

lunch: 1/3lb. beef roast with a shot of bbq sauce, mixed greens salad with chicken and no-cal dressing, 1 orange

mid-afternoon snacks will be: beef jerky and cheese, and an apple

dinner : not sur eyet, likely some pork tenderloin and asparagus or maybe some fish...

I agree 100%. He most certainly could swap the pasta for some veggies (how about spaghetti squash?) and the desserts for some lower-sugar/calorie fruit, such as berries.

That being said, he is definitely doing 80/20, and *IF* the choice is between him doing what he is doing now versus strict paleo followed by terrible binging, then I'd prefer his current plan. But he seems to have it together and is not at all far off from "optimal". I would only recommend minor tweaks, and you have made some good suggestions.

Yes I was thinking all day and already made up my mind to cut pasta, bread and control my sweet tooth and stay away from deserts, also today was my first session of barbell complex, felt really good after that means tired so hopefully that will work, thnx for your suggestions and will post my progress on next review.

Yes I was thinking all day and already made up my mind to cut pasta, bread and control my sweet tooth and stay away from deserts, also today was my first session of barbell complex, felt really good after that means tired so hopefully that will work, thnx for your suggestions and will post my progress on next review.

No problem!

Make sure and have healthy and filling things on hand like frozen berries and a good whey and casein protein powder to fend off cravings. If you get a craving outside of normal meal time, try things in this order:

-First ask yourself if you're just bored. If yes, go do something engaging.

-Next ask yourself if your thirsty. Drink a glass of water and see if you're still hungry.

-Not bored and not thirsty? OK, then go eat something that has more protein in it than carbs. Two scoops of whey/casein protein (or cottage cheese) and a cup or two of frozen berries is my favorite snack. Or just the protein. But always "snack" on more protein than carbs, or you might just make yourself hungrier.

Also, this only applies to snacks/cravings. We don't need people being obsessive about their actual meals and wondering if they should eat when it's time for a legitimate meal. I'm talking only about trying to curb random cravings throughout the day outside of normal meals.

Spector, I've seen you've made casein in numerous posts. Are you using casein throughout the day or mixing it with your whey?