Sign in to follow this  
kiwiLifter

Flat Sole Shoes?

I was squatting with flat sole shoes. Then an old timer ( 76 yo ) former power lifter champ told me to put a couple of 2.5kg plates under my heel or get shoes with a heel. It seemed to make it easier, but now I'm not so sure of the advice - the old boy seems to be one of those ones always approaching the young ones telling them they got it all wrong and how to do stuff.

And he said I needed a belt or I would break my back. But I'm sure belts are not recommended in most cases by coaches like Riptoe et al.

Any other advice?

I just bought a pair of weightlifting shoes (which Rippetoe highly recommends) and think they are great. They do have a heel (0.75") but more important, I feel like I am "glued" to the floor when I squat.

If you're new and/or progressing on your lifts, don't sweat it. You don't need either the shoes or belt but they do help.

FWIW, I train barefoot (I use chucks if I need shoes for whatever reason) and only use a belt on my top level sets and only if/when I'm working over a certain weight. Also, I've also had a very hard time finding proper weightlifting shoes here in NZ... seems you have to order from overseas.

I was a chucks / barefoot squatter too, partly because I didn't have money for WL shoes, now I use these http://www.academy.c...Gray&N=86155591

yes they're bowling shoes, I had them kicking around from when I used to bowl, yes they are stable with a hard wedge shaped sole like a WL shoe, no they are not slick, they have rubber heels, rubber isn't slick. Just one option, and one that works well for me

A very good coach once says (paraphrasing):

If you're going to play football, you'll buy cleats. If you're going to run track, you'll buy track shoes. So why not buy weightlifting shoes, if you're going to lift weights?

I was squatting barefoot for a while but I started having problems with metal shavings from my bar and plates (thanks China for that outstanding quality). So I started wearing my MMA style shoes. They are more like gloves for the feet -- thin and flexible.

Is that kind of shoe a problem for squats?

They'r ok for squatting in, but I thing a lifting shoe will be betterm especialy once you get heavy or try high bar or front squats

I used to lift barefoot and I still do on occasion. I started wearing New Balance minimus which are still flat but provide me a little more stability. I noticed an immediate improvement in my squat form when I added shoes. I was able to keep my balance a lot easier. I like them because they're not highly specific like weight lifting shoes so I get more bang for my buck so to speak.

If you're new to weightlifting I don't think you need either the belt or the shoes yet.

If you're new to weightlifting I don't think you need either the belt or the shoes yet.

^This.

I have Olympic weightlifting shoes, I recommend them, but the decision is up to the individual in the end.

I would recommend them for squats (back and front), cleans, snatches, and any olympic style pulling, the rest is personal preference on OHP, push pressing, deadlifting, etc.

I was lifting in knockoff Chuck Taylors for the better part of 2 years, it was fine, but I was wondering about lifting shoes for a while. The change to Rogue Do-Wins (.75in heel) was unbelievable. I even prefer deadlifting in them, but that's me.

Has anyone ever tried weightlifting shoes and NOT liked them?

yes

The first time I tried them, I did not like them, seemed to put more load on the quads, which means took some off the PC, and me no likey. almost a year later I retried and bang! felt good

Still using my All Stars, both have split down one side from squatting I guess.

Maybe look at proper footwear if I get more hardcore about this.

But "Do Wins" sounds so bloody geeky :unsure::D .

Still using my All Stars, both have split down one side from squatting I guess.

Maybe look at proper footwear if I get more hardcore about this.

But "Do Wins" sounds so bloody geeky :unsure::D .

The way I look at it, I spent $170 on running shoes and I don't even like running...

When I first started lifting low bar squats gave me pain in my shoulders, so I wanted to high bar squat.

The problem with high bar squats was that they needed lifting shoes, so I got em.

The problem with high bar squats is that there's no real good reading material on them...whereas with low bar squats, there's the plethora of detailed works by Rippetoe, there's nothing close to them with high bar squats, and I ended up getting pretty painful knees/shins from them, even with shoes.

Then, the problem with doing low bar squats in heeled shoes was, for me, that my balance was thrown out of whack, and I much prefer LBBSing in Chuck Taylor's to my Power Perfects. I also prefer deadlifting in them, and haven't noticed too much of a difference at all with power cleans, so it seems that, for the time being, I'm just not using my lifitng shoes.

That said, I seem to find new problems and yo-yo between squat styles every new moon, so give it time and I'll be singing praises about my shoes, just like I did when I got em.

Thought I would carry on this thread rather than start a new one.

I prefer to Deadlift in my power perfects (as compared to bare foot).

I'm thinking maybe it's because it helps with ROM like with squats. But I notice most people prefer to Deadlift with flat shoes or barefoot, is there a reason for this?

Thought I would carry on this thread rather than start a new one.

I prefer to Deadlift in my power perfects (as compared to bare foot).

I'm thinking maybe it's because it helps with ROM like with squats. But I notice most people prefer to Deadlift with flat shoes or barefoot, is there a reason for this?

Reason to deadlift in a flat shoe or barfoot is because it shortens the deadlift ROM which should make the lift easier. Wearing a heeled shoe will add some extra ROM on the deadlift.

It can also force your hips higher.  If you have good mobility and get low even in healed shoes, there may not be an issue--but if you are like me, the difference is enough to be painful on the lower back.

Chucks, deadlift slippers, and now coming soon would be Rebock's Power Lites are all good options.  There's other shoes folks have found that do the job that are more readily available in countries other than USA.