Sign in to follow this  
Nagolina

Daughter Wants To Start Lifting Weights!

Ben, I hear you on the "girlie" stuff...don't know how else to describe it but it's sort of textbook girlish squealing at everything. It's funny that your daughter wants to be a doctor, Katie has wanted to be a vet since she was old enough to understand what a vet was...and I truly believe this is what she'll end up doing...and yes, we often talk about parts of the job she'll have to do which won't be pleasant in order to help animals.

The lifting is something unique they can tap into and a great opportunity for learning life stuff...

Katie and I had a wee session on Sunday morning but it was frustrating because she was in a "girlie" mood and I was tired. She is still ace at the goblet squats and we had a go at OHP again, it will take time to get the bar path working. She wanted to do some more DLs which she loves but I had to stop her because I noticed that every time she bends over to pick up the bar her back was completely round. We practiced yet more GS and some air squats and she has perfect form for those, but her back was still round on the DL. I think next time we'll do some supermans to help with her back strength.

I think we'll have to go back to a less formal approach, since I'm not a natural teacher :)

It's a steep learning curve for us both!

Glad to hear that your daughter is still enjoying it so much.

Training kids is a very individual thing. While you have basic goals that you want to work toward, sometimes you need to spend time on the mental training more than physical training. I think you are experiencing a bit of that. Wee sessions are a good way to keep the balance of doing something, but helping keep sanity.

And some of it might be because you are "mom". It is what it is, but my wife can tell our daughter something and she gets all defensive. I come around and tell her to do the exact same thing, and she's compliant--not happy, but no lip. It's not anything conscious, but it seems to be an innate battle (for lack of a better word) that is there. Usually, it's not anything mean, just shorter attention spans and quicker to reach that point of exasperation.

If you see some of that happening, then by all means keep it nice and short. It does help when you talk about some of your struggles too. Sometimes kids need to know it's OK not to be able to get something right away. If you struggled, but didn't give up, then it helps inspire the same thing in their lives.

Berin, absolutely! I'm mum so I am the safe person to unleash all the feelings onto and the cheek and attitude! I find it hard to be patient with her sometimes then have to remind myself that she's only an almost 8 year old...I know deep down it's a privilege to be the person the kids feel totally comfy with but it's trying at times.

I think that's a great idea to share my own struggles (of which there have been many!) with the bar...

Thanks for the tips :)

I've got to run but quickly wanted to say: my daughter got her 22.5 kg deadlift! And turns out she weights 24.5 kg, so we're very close to a BW deadlift :o

I'm very proud of her today.... as I always am :wub:

At one point she was in tears, telling me it's too hard to do 20 kg with my bar and the wooden plates. Just my luck, that's exactly the moment my wife came in.... Daughter was fine. I made her laugh, got her to stop overthinking it and it went up fine with lots of smiles.

Ben, no wonder you are proud, that's an amazing achievement :D

I did have a chuckle at your wife walking in just in time for the tearful moment!